IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
JEFFSTOY (Offline)
  #1 6/3/16 12:47 AM
why is it these 2 tracks charge 25.00 and the others charge 20.00.
ByronMack (Offline)
  #2 6/3/16 1:47 AM
Because they can.
jjg30 (Offline)
  #3 6/3/16 1:52 AM
Thats a good question I was wondering the same thing what i saw tonite was not worth 25 bux track sucked all night
ByronMack (Offline)
  #4 6/3/16 1:57 AM
Had to be better than being at work like me.
4 Likes: Charles Nungester, DirtHawk92, jim goerge, Ty
hoosierhillbilly (Offline)
  #5 6/3/16 5:27 AM
It is called business. If you got to 6 non-fast food restaurants on 6 different nights and order a cheeseburger, do you expect to pay the same price at each? Red robin has theirs for 6.99, Applebee's is 7.99, your local greasy spoon only charges 5.99 and so on.

Each track is a different business with different operating costs. Each one charges what they feel is the appropriate entry fee to hopefully break even or turn a profit.

Anyway, It is no different than their regular show. Some track charge more.

Number three; You have the right to free speech; As long as You're not dumb enough to actually try it —The Clash
3 Likes: bighd0522, HARFprez, jim goerge
DirtHawk92 (Offline)
  #6 6/3/16 9:03 AM
Originally Posted by jjg30:
Thats a good question I was wondering the same thing what i saw tonite was not worth 25 bux track sucked all night
Well how bout I trade ya that crappy lawn chair I got for $25...Got to c some of the best midget racers from all over the country and your bitchin about track conditions...Not to mention the 410 sprints...That's laughable...Funny how everybody turns into the perfect track groomer all of a sudden...I'm sure Cottle and TMez knew comin in that their sprints were gonna break...Yeah that's racing ya never know...Too bad everyone didn't get to see them run really...
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #7 6/3/16 9:29 AM
Honesty, I don't know the cost of putting on a show and won't claim too. The USAC purse and sanction fee are set, So that isn't the issue

I think I was told something Like the old burg could be run with about 18 to 22 people on race night and the new track has around 35 to 40 with three gates, four concessions, The lighting has gone from four poles to sixteen. Takes three times the water both in track and pit size.

Here's another, Both LPS and Burg allow you to bring in coolers and food, Others don't, They charge you five more but they don't get the six or nine you'd pay for drinks.

I honesty get sick of this issue, Yeah, I've been in the position the last two years where cost was a issue of attending or not and realize a hundo to get a family of four in isn't cheap. A movie is two hours max for ten to twelve bucks. A race is a solid four hours or more thats normally 12-15 bucks. Its USAC Midget week where you got 40 midgets and 20 plus sprints. Something in IN your only going to see about eight times a year. I know one thing, I went to that boat across the street from burg one night and dropped a hundo in 20 minutes and some people consider that fun? NOT TO ME.

You have a choice, Go or not, I know for a fact this price at Burg hasn't changed since 2009 while reds tickets almost doubled while the teams tanked. The first couple years of Midget Week at Burg were run at a loss as it opened the week and midgets since Namars went under, were almost totally forgotten and many drivers that didn't also do Sprints were Unknown.

Think about this, The tracks prepped and advertised for the event and spent a ton of money doing so. If it rains, They get nothing.

I know one of this weeks tracks may not be around next year and I know a couple of the tracks only make a profit on Midget, Sprint weeks and maybe a couple other races but the norm is either a loss or break even. None the less, The work load and staff are still there.

Have a good time, Stay safe and Let's go racin!

One last thing, You'll pay more in parking to see BC at the 500 or Larson at a Nascar Race Than to see both at a midget and sprint race. Think about that for a minute.

Charles Nungester
11 Likes: chrismattlin, DirtHawk92, erich45, HARFprez, Indy1808, jim goerge, scottfor410, Speedwrench, spicoli, Tim Bookmiller, Ty
kingmod5 (Offline)
  #8 6/3/16 11:17 AM
Great post! Which track may not be around next year?
3R (Offline)
  #9 6/3/16 11:40 AM
I will pay an extra $5.00 at any track that allows you to bring in a cooler. If you are taking young kids to the track you save more t$5.00 by bringing in the cooler. I think the no cooler policy is hurting the development of young fans as people can't afford the concession stand for a family of 4. When I look around the stands at open wheel race the vast majority of the crowd is old men. If new fans aren't developed in another 20 years tracks won't be able to afford putting on an open wheel race.
7 Likes: addictedtodirt, bigq11, Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, DirtHawk92, Indy1808, ISF
chrismattlin (Offline)
  #10 6/3/16 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
...Both LPS and Burg allow you to bring in coolers and food, Others don't, They charge you five more but they don't get the six or nine you'd pay for drinks...

Exactly! This is the answer to the OP's question.

I like the way this setup works out. If I'm on a budget on a certain week, I can still almost always swing going to the 'Burg because I can always pack a cooler with food and drinks and still get to see the show. If I got a few extra bucks on a particular week, I'll usually spring for something from the concession stand. It's a win-win; I can afford to go to the races, and the promoter gets asses in the seats.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, Indy1808