IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bobby Allen
7/14/23, 7:37 PM   #1
Bobby Allen
Vookie

I understand that a relative of his won a million dollars last night.

img141_edited_edited.jpg

7/14/23, 7:38 PM   #2
Re: Bobby Allen
Vookie

Photo is from the 1978 Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, jonboat15, luckybuc97
7/14/23, 8:15 PM   #3
Pitdad

As I heard it, technically, the relative is getting half a million. It was vague where the other “half” as going…🤑

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
7/14/23, 9:38 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Seen a 2011 pic of shark racing showing up at Williams Grove with a subaru pulling the sprint on a single axel mower trailer.

7/15/23, 8:52 AM   #5
BrentTFunk

Vookie. You post some really great pictures. I am jealous that I never got to Knoxville back in those days. Of course, I was probably too young to have the real fun lol.

7/15/23, 10:55 AM   #6
Vookie

There are legendary stories of gambling in the old barns and there are other stories that can't repeated here.

7/15/23, 11:44 AM   #7
Kart#51

If you know, you know. Lol

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, streetglider
7/15/23, 1:31 PM   #8
cowboyhar69

And Bobby Allen won the 1st WoO race at Eldora in April of 1978. Over the winter USAC and Earl got into a pissing match over how many races they would sanction at Eldora….. USAC said 6 max and Earl wanted 10. Earl being Earl said shove it …. and brought in the WoO group….. to an overflow crowd. Still remember watching Dayton TV2 Sports Director Omar Williams ( who was also the announcer at Eldora, New Bremen and Dayton when Earl owned Dayton) Monday evening sports report after the 1st WoO race at Eldora. Omar started off the sportscast with video and said “ Earl Baltes and USAC have been in a squabble about race dates…but he could probably care less after yesterday’s overflow crowd.” Running Eldora gave Ted Johnson and the WoO legitimacy and the rest is history

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

7/15/23, 1:55 PM   #9
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
And Bobby Allen won the 1st WoO race at Eldora in April of 1978. Over the winter USAC and Earl got into a pissing match over how many races they would sanction at Eldora….. USAC said 6 max and Earl wanted 10. Earl being Earl said shove it …. and brought in the WoO group….. to an overflow crowd. Still remember watching Dayton TV2 Sports Director Omar Williams ( who was also the announcer at Eldora, New Bremen and Dayton when Earl owned Dayton) Monday evening sports report after the 1st WoO race at Eldora. Omar started off the sportscast with video and said “ Earl Baltes and USAC have been in a squabble about race dates…but he could probably care less after yesterday’s overflow crowd.” Running Eldora gave Ted Johnson and the WoO legitimacy and the rest is history
Dad took me over to Eldora for the last World of Outlaw race of the year, in 1978. It was cold and I remember Charlie Swartz setting fast time and Shane Carson winning. Nice big crowd and the facilities looked very little like they do now. One thing I remember about Bobby Allen’s 1A from that day is it having “455 cu. in.” painted on the engine cowling.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/15/23 at 2:31 PM.

7/15/23, 3:09 PM   #10
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
Dad took me over to Eldora for the last World of Outlaw race of the year, in 1978. It was cold and I remember Charlie Swartz setting fast time and Shane Carson winning. Nice big crowd and the facilities looked very little like they do now. One thing I remember about Bobby Allen’s 1A from that day is it having “455 cu. in.” painted on the engine cowling.

Jerry
Back in those days it was “ Run what you brung!”

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, mtek56, wallbanger II
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bobby Allen