IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > School me on pressure washers/washing a sprint car
6/22/16, 6:27 PM   #1
School me on pressure washers/washing a sprint car
spicoli

I could use a pressure washer for some projects here at home, but I'd also like to use it for washing a sprint car.

What type would IOW readers recommend? Gas or electric?

(*) I see electric models that would be convenient, but are they useful in washing a sprint car? Most are rated home use. I always have access to an outlet, either through the generator or where I keep the rig.

(*) The gas models look more heavy-duty, but if the electrics are the best way to go, it would save another engine I have to keep up with, gas, oil, plugs, etc. The gas models are listed medium to heavy-duty. My thinking is that a gas model has the volume and the pressure for a better wash.

(*) Any recommended brand?

In the past, I always washed my sprint car (by myself) with a garden hose and a bucket of soapy water and a wash mitt. Those of you that wash their car at the car wash or with a pressure washer, do you still need to go over it with a mitt or by hand? Does the pressure washer clean it enough that nothing else is needed?

Soap with the pressure washer?

6/22/16, 6:46 PM   #2
TQ29m

Well, when I graduated from a mitt, and a bucket, I went with an electric model, one, it's quiet, that's a big plus, and it has enough pressure to get mud and crud off, and unless you focus on seals, and other easy entries, your chances of filling hub's and other bearings full of water is less,it's more portable, smaller, and less maintenance, just my opinion. Not to mention the cost difference. I bought a Karcher, at Big Lot's for 60.00 I believe . Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 6/22/16 at 8:58 PM.

4 members like this post: fish, Go Fast, groove grabber, spicoli
6/22/16, 9:27 PM   #3
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

I mix powdered Tide w/bleach and water in a 5 gal bucket. Then I use a syphon blow gun nozzle on the air hose to soak the car down. Let it sit a few minutes then use the pressure washer to remove all the crud. No mit or hand washing required. Electric pressure washer is sufficient. Like Bob said, don't aim it directly at seals or sensitive areas. This cleans tires very well too.
Last edited by Go Fast; 6/22/16 at 9:28 PM.

1 member likes this post: spicoli
6/24/16, 12:27 AM   #4
Re: School me on pressure washers/washing a sprint car
Bad Dad 54

We use an electric, like the other said, but- wrap the mag w/ plastic real good, next wrap a rag or towel around that bag then cover w/ another. The bag will get condensation on it & towel stop it along the 1st bag, use blow gun to clear moister out of your birdcages, not a gale force wind just dry it out. Leaf blower would even work seems to me. OH remove seat cushion & clean w/ a damp rag, don't want a wet butt w/ these characters around, least not the guys I work w/

2 members like this post: davidm, spicoli
6/24/16, 8:48 AM   #5
xoxide

I use an 1800psi electric washer on mine.... It's quiet, small and extremely effective.

Process for me is remove air filters, body panels, rear wheels, tach, seat cushion. Then cover up injection and electronics with towels. Plug the exhaust.

I wash all body panels and wings by hand, then I'll pressure wash tires once, then spray them with a 50/50 simple green mix, and pressure wash again.

On the car I pressure wash it all once, then spray with the simple green mix, hand wash the nose won't, front wheels, frame, tank, stuff I can reach.... Then I'll pressure wash everything one more time.

I'll roll everything inside then spray it completly dry with a air compressor/blower, then spray all aluminum parts down with wd40 (shocks, radius rods, rear end etc etc). Then go through the motor with some wd40 down the injection.

Car comes out squeaky clean every time
Last edited by xoxide; 6/24/16 at 8:50 AM.

2 members like this post: Go Fast, spicoli
6/24/16, 7:42 PM   #6
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

We do use a leaf blower to dry quicker when we gotta do maintenance right then. Sprintweek comes to mind! I bag the mag, wash plugs with paper towels underneath, and my switch/tac/box are all on a dzus in plate that gets removed. Seat cushions out and headers plugged. Pretty standard with everyone.

1 member likes this post: spicoli
6/24/16, 8:16 PM   #7
Re: School me on pressure washers/washing a sprint car
spicoli

You have all been very helpful. It never dawned on me to plug the exhaust, that would not be an issue with a garden hose, but I can see where that would be a big deal when using a pressure washer.

I ordered an electric model from amazon, with a turbo tip and an extension hose for the gun.

Thanks!

1 member likes this post: Go Fast
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > School me on pressure washers/washing a sprint car