IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500
5/29/11, 7:22 PM   #21
Re: Indy 500
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

[QUOTE=Vukie;229649]Can't compare the two, the leader of the race caused this caution. Every time there is a caution for a wreck, other cars behind the crashed car pass that car with no penalty."QUOTE]

Russ, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. The way you describe it doesn't hold water for me. Hypothetically, lets say Weldon didn't get by JR before he got to the finish line, does that mean JR would still not have won the race because he crashed and brought out the yellow? The way you descibe it that's the way it would seem.

To me the IRL makes it up as it goes.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
5/29/11, 7:44 PM   #22
Vukie

[quote=nowingsjeff;229656]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
Can't compare the two, the leader of the race caused this caution. Every time there is a caution for a wreck, other cars behind the crashed car pass that car with no penalty."QUOTE]

Russ, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. The way you describe it doesn't hold water for me. Hypothetically, lets say Weldon didn't get by JR before he got to the finish line, does that mean JR would still not have won the race because he crashed and brought out the yellow? The way you descibe it that's the way it would seem.

To me the IRL makes it up as it goes.
Sorry, when Tags crashed today every car behind him passed his crash on the track and those drivers received no penalty. That is a correct call. It's same thing for JR he caused the yellow, doesn't make a difference if he's the leader or 30th, other cars on track can pass that wreck car, even when it's for position.

If JR crossed the finish line before Wheldon, then JR Hildebrand is the winner of the 2011 Indianapolis 500. Other cars on the track can pass a disabled car at anytime during the race. Hildebrand had a disabled car.

If JR hadn't passed the finish line and was short by a foot, does that mean he won? How do you score that? Does Wheldon have to slam on the brakes not to pass the Panther car?

The correct call was made.

One question, how would the Panther car pass tech after the wreck if they were declared the winner?

If JR crosses the finish line before Wheldon, then JR Hildebrand is the winner of the 2011 Indianapolis 500. He had a wrecked and disabled car, so other drivers can pass that car. If JR his crashed his car in turn 3, does that mean Wheldon can't pass him for the lead?
Last edited by Vukie; 5/29/11 at 8:03 PM.

4 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, cowboyhar69, REH24
5/29/11, 7:45 PM   #23
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I would say he crossed the line around 120 mph

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

J r was still running and finnish 500 miles! If the yellow comes out the field is frozen and you can't pass on the yellow! The yellow should have came out the sec. He hit the wall!!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: jwracer14
5/29/11, 8:32 PM   #24
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

[quote=Vukie;229668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowingsjeff View Post

Sorry, when Tags crashed today every car behind him passed his crash on the track and those drivers received no penalty. That is a correct call. It's same thing for JR he caused the yellow, doesn't make a difference if he's the leader or 30th, other cars on track can pass that wreck car, even when it's for position.
All I'm saying is Brian Barnhart doesn't have any consistency with his rules. By the precedent he set back with Helio & Paul, the field is supposed to be frozen the split second the crash occurs and they're to hold that position until the race restarts. That goes for Tag's wreck or any wreck. The difference between Tag's wreck or other wrecks today and JR's was that JR's was the last scored lap of the race. With all other accidents there were more laps to complete in the race, so they scored them for the distances they completed. JR completed 500 miles, the others crashed cars didn't. So if Brian would have stuck with his controversial frozen field rule from before you'd have to give the win to JR. Since that's not how it happened today all you can do is question Barnhart's consistency with his rulings. If his ruling is correct today as you think, then you better put Paul Tracy's face on the Borg Warner trophy.

By the way, double file restarts at Indy ROCK! Hopefully a new tradition is born.

5/29/11, 8:51 PM   #25
Vukie

This is from TSO, it explains the situation very well.

"The explanation given to Patrick [Stepan]for why the pass of Dan Wheldon's pass over JR Hildebrand stood was that "the expectation of no passing under yellow does not apply to cars involved in the caution period."

Paul and Helio did not wreck, two other cars wreck that day. JR Hildebrand wrecked, "the expectation of no passing under yellow does not apply to cars involved in the caution period."

1 member likes this post:
5/29/11, 8:57 PM   #26
D.O.

sounds like to me Pather just got at least one of their 2012 cars paid for today by the IRL

5/29/11, 9:06 PM   #27
Pat O'Connor Fan

Do all of you NASCAR lovers who like to talk about someone "got the call" think Weldon got the call today? :2:

5/29/11, 10:11 PM   #28
Vertigo

Great race, Weldon only led lap 200. Sitting in turn one the double file restarts were a hoot with Tomas Scheckter getting by 4 or 5 cars by running the cush in turn one. The crowd was still buzzing 10 minutes after the race. And the parade of 1911 and past winning cars was spectacular.

1 member likes this post:
5/30/11, 11:26 AM   #29
Tim Watson

I would have liked to hear the radio communication between Hildebrand and his spotter (if there was any) on the last couple laps. If the lead was "fairly" secure you would think the spotter would tell JR to stay behind the slow car through the turn and then pass him coming out of 4. I know.....easy for me to say sitting at home but......

5/30/11, 11:40 AM   #30
TQ29m

My sentiments exactly, did he even have a "spotter", what was the spotter "spotting"? Bad deal, my wife even caught that part, someone was watching their "bellybutton"! Bob!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500