IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Open Wheel History: - 'The Braithwaite Flyer'
4/16/23, 6:18 PM   #11
Re: Open Wheel History: - 'The Braithwaite Flyer'
Al Freedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
If I remember the story correctly, it was there when they bought the car, they thought it was cool and left in on the car. The same with the #7. It stayed and went on to become the 'family' number on later sprint cars.

Art took up photography in his later years and was pretty good at it. Wasn't scared of much.
The car was built by me in 1967….. Yes, I was a crap race driver but was certainly not scared silly. Ask Jud Larson, Chuck Rodee, Bobby Marshman…..oops. All deceased.
The star on the nose was the idea of George Gruber. It was meant to annoy the red necks at Bloomington, Paragon and Lawerenceburg.
Braithwaite claimed it was a Watson.
Sorry but it was built by me, Jim Smith and Van Steensyck. The car was built to sell. The few times I ran it was for shake down and to show it.
If I was just a hanger on please tell me what you spent in terms of cash, time and effort.
My bosses that I worked with: A. J. Watson, Chickie Hiroshima, Jud Philips, Danny Oaks etc. never gave me the impression that I was an incapable hanger on.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ken Bonnema, mc/rider, PIT CART, stp6237, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Open Wheel History: - 'The Braithwaite Flyer'