IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Some quick Burg Notes
2/6/24, 11:00 PM   #1
Some quick Burg Notes
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

They cut the track Monday taking if from about 24* down to about 15* Have clay ordered and hope to have it down pre season but may be during a couple week break area during the season. The track is going to be graded every week and Mel's son will be doing prep work Sounded like they're going to try to have it banked from top to bottom which includes some of the inside service lane instead of the drop off the track. But try to have it more than just on the cushion.

Met Shane, I'll just say this, the guy impresses me. Someone who has his S**T together and a plan.

Hopes to have website up in a week or two. for now prelim schedule is on the facebook page.

The plan, He's going to try to have a few two or three night shows in the future. For this year the start is the two night Greg Staab Memorial Friday (Working on contingencies) and Lawrenceburg Nationals Sat. in Oct. USAC. along with JO memorial USAC in the spring, Merrill Downey in July and of course the High Limit race in May which Brad and Kyle were very happy to add. Working on date and purse for Dick Gaines.

The Northern All Stars LM race which is kicking of this year and he plans to have a Whiskey City 50 for LM's Also but not entirely sure for this year. It's a sanction, date etc deal but I got no doubt he'll make it work sometime somehow.

Burg Safety Team and most of staff will be back. Bobby Gompf also has a lot to do with the memorials contingencies etc.

All I can remember for now. Seems like a great guy and like me didn't want to see it sit. He plans to support those who support the track. Mods going back to 800 to win and he hopes teams support him.

Also setting up with Myracepass.com for timing, results etc.

Thanks to Shane, SPARC2, a bunch of great racers and fans, the Shamrock bar and grille in Addyston for a good evening.

I kid you not, The flag was unferraled for the pre meeting Pledge and The national anthem from Lucas Oil LMs on TV started exactly before the Pledge, So we did both.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/6/24 at 11:14 PM.

2/6/24, 11:07 PM   #2
Re: Some quick Burg Notes
Charles Nungester

P.S. I don't speak for them. Just a fan who wants the best for Racing at the Burg. And never releases information that hasn't been cleared for public

You wanted the Burg back, SUPPORT IT! I plan too!
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/6/24 at 11:42 PM.

2/7/24, 1:02 AM   #3
flagboy55

Chuck, I’m troubled by your comment about taking out bank. Is that actually the plan or did I misunderstand?

2/7/24, 1:31 AM   #4
badcoupe

By the pics I saw the bank goes farther infield so technically it’s less incline but still same height at top if that makes sense. Instead of being steep and short it’s wider now.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
2/7/24, 1:47 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Chuck, I’m troubled by your comment about taking out bank. Is that actually the plan or did I misunderstand?

When they built the track It was 18* The original configuration was the fastest and those Fast times remain today. The second year they cut out about three or four degrees making it more of a top to bottom even banking.

Expect second year track again.>>

The track had honed out and was in areas 24-27* banked with nearly a flat middle of the turns near the bottom. The hump going into three is gone and the track will be cut every week to keep humps from forming and staying in the track.

Couple other things was there is a hornet nationals and night of destruction which he's working on.

Several out buildings like the turn two grill are gone and cost a lot to replace. Possibly turn two food trucks for awhile.

He plans to pay better thru the pack in support classes and expects headliner to be well supported. If not They may not be weekly in the future (As in specials only, non championship point seasons)

Gonna try to keep the track from being so hard on tires, motors. That's part of the banking to have a top to bottom track and track prep.

Still has a little concession and track equipment to get lined up but working on it. Bought some of the auction stuff but figured some of it would be better to buy new from what it was selling at.

One last thing, and I didn't get it all but Weiland lighting for the track and some new speakers around it.
And another off the top of my head. At least this year the antique thing will still happen first sunday of summer months. But in the future, he expects to be able to somehow get campers in the grounds every weekend instead of parking outside the fence those weeks. It was a take or or leave it type thing for 2024
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/7/24 at 2:03 AM.

2/7/24, 8:22 AM   #6
kb78

I plan on supporting the track again this year but I am also concerned about cutting any banking. I liked Lawrenceburg in this configuration and the reason is that I felt like it was the old Eldora, there was merit to going up and running against the wall. Yes, sometimes you would get a single file affair but there was also the potential for an exhilarating dual against the wall and through traffic.
I guess we will see, but I plan on actually seeing it myself before I start any criticizing, I hope everyone else does the same.

2/7/24, 10:42 AM   #7
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Good job Chuck, lot of good information there. Sounds like the new people are hard at work and are doing their best with the track and facilities. I dont get to go there very often due to work, but one of my favorites away from home when I do go. Glad to hear things are going well. Keep up the good work and info Chuck.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, Grocery Guy
2/7/24, 10:44 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

I wouldn't worry too much. It will still get up on the wall sometimes. Just not all the time.

I know exactly what your saying and don't consider Eldora the same as it was by a long shot.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy
2/7/24, 11:06 AM   #9
Charles Nungester

I put this out there because mainly I get asked all the time by friends, racers etc. Shane spoke at a meeting to get info our and answer questions which he did very well.

Thought I'd share it so many of the questions out there are answered and maybe his phone doesn't have to ring so much.

They're updating their Facebook page as stuff happens and hope to have the website up very soon. He said possibly within a week or so.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier
2/7/24, 2:29 PM   #10
cmakin

Yeah, but those "humps" made for some interesting shots. . ..

DSC_7320 by Carey Akin, on Flickr

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Some quick Burg Notes