IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I have to get this off my chest..
7/16/09, 8:47 PM   #11
Re: I have to get this off my chest..
Red Clay

I have to agree with this statement as well. I will not bash the ones that I feel do a poor job of this. I would also like to give credit to the ones that I feel do. I would have to say that Mike Miles at Bloomington Speedway is doing a great job as well. The track averages in the low to mid thirties in sprint car count and always has a full field of support class cars. The track is always well manicured and ran in a timely manner. He is also always willing to listen to anyone whether it is criticism or praises. I just want to give credit where I believe it is due. Thanks to people or promoters like Mike, it makes it more enjoyable for fans and competitors. Thanks again.

Allen Cody

7/16/09, 8:50 PM   #12
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay View Post
I have to agree with this statement as well. I will not bash the ones that I feel do a poor job of this. I would also like to give credit to the ones that I feel do. I would have to say that Mike Miles at Bloomington Speedway is doing a great job as well. The track averages in the low to mid thirties in sprint car count and always has a full field of support class cars. The track is always well manicured and ran in a timely manner. He is also always willing to listen to anyone whether it is criticism or praises. I just want to give credit where I believe it is due. Thanks to people or promoters like Mike, it makes it more enjoyable for fans and competitors. Thanks again.

Allen Cody
No question about it!!! Your dead on...

7/17/09, 10:29 AM   #13
GregD

I agree that Bloomington is one of the best and in about 6 hour I'll be there.

7/17/09, 10:39 AM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

WOW, I apologize for comming in late but I said it about the Bloomington July 3rd race. Probably 15000 people there and 30 plus cars running for 1400 to win 200 to start. Just making 20th place a team probably looses 500 in fuel, pit admission and tires. Im not knocking Miles. In fact Im thanking him for a affordable time and a great show both on the track and in the air. Allowing coolers with Beer, Letting kids in free. Had to be thousands of familys and future racers and race fans in the stands.

BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!!!!!!!!! Keep showing up by the 30s and your not going EVER BREAK EVEN WINNING!

Chuck, who really can't blame promotors getting everything they can get. Im more for a percentage say 20 percent of gate over cost of putting it on?????? IM told that was the way big races used to be run. Im also told there were a aweful lot of crooked promotors who would hand out 50 bucks and say thats all I have. at well attended events both on the track and in the stands. I think Dukes a ranting person but I agree. Big races paid 7-12-15 grand back in the 70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
First off I want to apologize for my rant. I have tried not to make this personnel but I have had enough of these so called promoters! After 2 months of talking to promoters, NO lets call them what they are "race track owners", the pieces have finally came together for me. There are only a handfull of real promoters out there the rest are getting what they deserve from low car counts to a small crowd. Yes they take a risk but so does any small business. I know this more than anyone by being in the car business. But it seems pretty simple to me. Give the customer as much bang for the buck as you can and have a decent pay out and have a good prepard track and it will work out. Ask Dave Allison how doing the direct opposite worked out for him. Then take a look at Joe Spiker and see what a little care and concern can do for a real promoter. Joe will always be sucessful because he cares about the fans and racers and has a ton of pride in anything he does. The same with the Tri-State Speedway guys. If your a promoter don't cry about car counts and low general admission attendance and then ***** about how some other track needs to cut their purse and, as I was told, get back down to reality because they have taken your cars and fans from you. Let me give you a 411, THAT IS REALITY!!! Your the one's that need to pick it up and get into reality.Stop cry'n and take a good hard look at your operation and then make the changes accordingly.If you promote a track we would love the opertunity to be a part of your show and so would a 100 other organizations but we don't want to be jacked around by "race track owners" that really don't have a clue.These opinions herein are mine and mine alone,any comments can be directed to me John Gurley
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/17/09 at 10:40 AM.

7/17/09, 10:51 AM   #15
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
WOW, I apologize for comming in late but I said it about the Bloomington July 3rd race. Probably 15000 people there and 30 plus cars running for 1400 to win 200 to start. Just making 20th place a team probably looses 500 in fuel, pit admission and tires. Im not knocking Miles. In fact Im thanking him for a affordable time and a great show both on the track and in the air. Allowing coolers with Beer, Letting kids in free. Had to be thousands of familys and future racers and race fans in the stands.

BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!!!!!!!!! Keep showing up by the 30s and your not going EVER BREAK EVEN WINNING!

Chuck, who really can't blame promotors getting everything they can get. Im more for a percentage say 20 percent of gate over cost of putting it on?????? IM told that was the way big races used to be run. Im also told there were a aweful lot of crooked promotors who would hand out 50 bucks and say thats all I have. at well attended events both on the track and in the stands. I think Dukes a ranting person but I agree. Big races paid 7-12-15 grand back in the 70s
I wondered where you've been hiding...I looked for you to be here right off the get-go on this one.I just had a couple of bad encounters this week with promoters and I use this term lightly.Maybe I was out of line I dunno. But I have had a lot of direct phone calls and emails both positive and negative over this so maybe it wasn't so bad after all.:2:
Last edited by john3g; 7/17/09 at 1:08 PM.

7/17/09, 11:25 AM   #16
bigmojo5

I think there is a lot about race promoting that very few people -- less than one percent -- ever see.
Jim Morrison

7/17/09, 12:12 PM   #17
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
I think there is a lot about race promoting that very few people -- less than one percent -- ever see.
Jim Morrison
I have seen and learned a lot in the past few months and for the most part most of the promoters are good people. However, I would love to know where do some of the "race track operators" get their arrogance? They cry about not making money but never want to do anything to help their situation. Like I said, I just had a tough week and needed to vent. Good idea? I dunno? But it's the way I feel.
Last edited by john3g; 7/17/09 at 12:13 PM.

7/17/09, 1:06 PM   #18
old timer

Bloomington July3 loads of fans lines for food 30min plus. Great race oh and did I mention we ran in the sprint B with bent up car and picked up our thiry dollars. OH WELL!

7/17/09, 1:09 PM   #19
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Bloomington July3 loads of fans lines for food 30min plus. Great race oh and did I mention we ran in the sprint B with bent up car and picked up our thiry dollars. OH WELL!
I never said the purses where great or even close to where they should be. But I can't argue about the track prep and the racing.

7/17/09, 2:55 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
I wondered where you've been hiding...I looked for you to be here right off the get-go on this one.I just had a couple of bad encounters this week with promoters and I use this term lightly.Maybe I was out of line I dunno. But I have had a lot of direct phone calls and emails both positive and negative over this so maybe it wasn't so bad after all.:2:
I was hiding at Terre and Kamp
I'll be the first to admit I don't know what Im talking about but some things are blindingly obvious. 15000 people
14 hundred to win. Maybe two bucks per person toward the purse.

About schedualling. I've seen promotors steadfast on RUNNING THEIR NORMAL NIGHT or not at all. I've seen others switch to get the first night of a event and to help a series out. I've seen others run tuesday night races and come out smelling like a rose and some that bought the farm doing it.

I know the USAC eastern thunder swing was a ton to do with tracks running with their NORMAL headline and normal nights to get started. A lot showed interest. Others not so much. To the ones holding them and still showing interest in doing so .

Scora It looks like you guys both operatiors and personell and teams are making every effort you can.
Chuck

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I have to get this off my chest..