IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets
1/15/15, 8:50 PM   #11
Re: Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets
DAD

mud

If you could get a 20 inch seat to fit inside the left nerf bar I would be glad to furnish my bod as left side weight. My feelings on 600cc uprights my favorite race car would be 800 pounds car and driver at the end of the race. Is that agreeable to you, when we started 600cc uprights it was 750 pounds, that was way too light for full size drivers. You are racing a Full size Midget chassis right? Are you from down around Linton? 1200cc mini sprints-motorcycle powered is minimum weight of 900 pounds at the end of the race, a little light for us but that is what the rules say. 600cc cars with a 100 pound weight advantage should be awesome at Duquoin. You ain't slinging all that weight around them tight little turns.

A long time ago when we were just starting out there was going to be a 1200 cc race I am pretty sure it was at Bloomington. Aj Felker my driver at the time wanted to race there. I called the guy in charge of the 1200 Mini sprints at the time and he said of course we were not invited to race with them we would only get in the way. AJ wanted to race so we told a little fib and entered it as a 1200cc car (F-2 Honda). Well we made the main and finished 5th.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/15/15 at 9:19 PM.

1/16/15, 6:29 PM   #12
mud chassis

yes, we ran linton before daughter started running 600 mini sprints or side winders what ever people call them now a days. we normally would weigh 830 pounds after a race with driver. we have talked about putting a 1000 cc in it but we just have not done it yet, and figured that small of a track would not hurt us. who would decide on what weight we would have to be at. Thank you shannon waggoner

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/16/15, 6:37 PM   #13
DAD

Shannon

I am as close as you can get check a few post up and you see I already added it. I love Mini Sprints that 1000 cc motor dose not make them much faster but the kick in the butt is a whole new ball game. like a dual engine go kart. Like I said yes the 600 will be competitive. We started racing 1200cc mini sprints up at 24 speedway with a Yamaha r6 and ran up front at that little bull ring and it was then very close to the size of DuQuoin now.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/16/15 at 6:40 PM.

1/17/15, 12:31 AM   #14
Avon Open Wheel fan

Had some questions about the format for.the race. Heat races will be 10 laps, B Mains 15 laps and feature 25 laps.

I.will have to put out how many.cars transfers from.heats and B Mains at the drivers meeting. Hard to predict the car counts.

www.illinimidgets.com

1/25/15, 10:15 AM   #15
DAD

Jay tells me that we had a few racers contact him with a request to lower the weight of the shaft drive cars from 1100 pounds to 1000 pounds. After a quick search on Google I could not find any Midget groups with published weights this low. If a person can build a car this light using standard thickness tube they are to be congratulated, however since we are pushing cars with standard weight Midget frames and no trick light weight parts I think 1000 pounds would be just a tad light. We weigh about 1050 or so with a 1000cc car at the end of the race.

The race at Tulsa saw some racers with light weight cars show up and race. It also had some rather up set racers because of the last minute decision made by the people in charge of the Shootout. This is suppose to be racing with the everyday guy in mind and not a race to see who can build the lightest chassis and or find the smallest driver. Bolt on weight is not dangerous, it should be painted white with the cars number painted on it.

We set the weight at 1100 pounds several weeks ago and I think it should stay at that, I hate missing a few light weight cars but I hate even more putting the rest of the field at a 100 pound disadvantage.

I sure would like to see some more comments and suggestions to the rules.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/25/15 at 10:31 AM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
1/25/15, 10:50 AM   #16
zeromotorsports

The weight rule should be the same as powri or usac, at the most. Their weight rule is 1050.. I personally think all cars racing on the 7th should have the same weight rule.

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/25/15, 11:25 AM   #17
DAD

Johnny

These guys also endorse carbon fiber bodies and Titanium parts to achieve this weight. If the rules were more realistic there would be no need for these very expensive add ons. The average Focus or Echotec motor because they are stock production blocks have a lot of beef in their designs. They sure ain't no skin and bones Esslinger motors. Some of these cars will also have electric starters on them. That sure started a groan when USAC did that, but had they stuck with that simple rule a little longer it might have worked, it take a little time for the manufactures to get on line with new Ideas. Sure would have speeded up racing though. Drive it out>>>stop>>>get introduced>>>start her up and race. Imagine how much easier it would be on the promoter if they did not have to round up half a dozen push vehicles.

We are not National Midgets and most of us don't want to run with them. A logical weight rule would preclude the use of undersized tubing. In the past we Mini Sprinters were plagued with "Light Weight Frames". Using .060 top rail and .049 lower rails and uprights they could loose 70 pounds or so but at the expense of durability. We had one guy that went through 3 frame in one season, He could afford it and most of us just got a chuckle out of it. We knew if he flipped he was headed back to his chassis builder.

I think they counted 6 cars at the Shootout that cane in very light. Perhaps they needed to institute the frame rail rules that the main frame and top rail should be 1 3/8" X .095 4130 or equivalent. Chain drive cars call for rails made of at least 1 1/8" x .095 4130.

I think I will dig out my ultrasonic thickness gauge and see if any of them old mini sprints are still in existance?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/25/15 at 2:25 PM.

1 member likes this post: tandtinc2424
1/25/15, 11:57 AM   #18
DAD

The rules for shaft drive Midgets are posted on post #9 of this thread.

The chain drive Midget Rules are posted on Steve Nace racing. http://stevenaceracing.com/picts/Sprints%20classes.pdf

We are trying to do something just a little bit off the wall at Du Quoin and it is a gamble. Your input is appreciated both pro and con. I think that Johnny has a valid point in his request. But we watched this same point cause a lot of hard feelings at Tulsa. Johnny does not spend a lot of time inside some box following the leader, neither do I. I would like to see the Midget displacement rule raised to 3000cc's for V6 4 valve stock block motors. They are just so powerful and available in large numbers at your local friendly Junk Yard. I would like to see the underweight guys throw about 5 more gallon of fuel in the tank and bolt some weight on to their seat bottom and come down and race.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/25/15 at 2:27 PM.

1/25/15, 2:15 PM   #19
DAD

I hope some of you push start guys can come up with push vehicles, this could cause problems. Do any racers live in Southern Illinois? I think most will be self starters BUT this is one small problem with direct drive shaft driven cars.

I had to retire from Micros when Dad could no longer pick me and the car up and run and push me off by hand. I did not think it was funny at the time. But then I grew old.

Honest Dad himself

1/25/15, 3:17 PM   #20
J47

I think the weight on a driveshaft car should be the same as USAC or PowerI. Why make them weigh anymore?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets