IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Gold Crown "Road Course" testing.
10/3/08, 1:27 PM   #1
USAC Gold Crown "Road Course" testing.
Ovalmeister

Did anyone on this board attend the test? Just wondering how it went?
David.

http://www.usacracing.com/silvercrow...x/182/890.html

10/3/08, 1:31 PM   #2
Re: USAC Gold Crown "Road Course" testing.
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

thats just wrong, im tellin ya usac is gonna kill itself

10/3/08, 1:36 PM   #3
interpreter66

they can't get enough pavement oval race's,where are they going to run at on roadcourse's and who the hell would come to watch anyway!:headbang

10/3/08, 1:49 PM   #4
BuckeyeBullet

I'm probably the only one who loves road racing on this board, so I'll stick up for it...as I duck and cover b/c I'll probably catch ***** for liking it.

Some of the better sprint drivers enjoy road racing: Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Cole Whitt...just to name a few.

It's a pure form of racing, something very natural about pushing the limits where every corner is unique and as elevation changes. I particularly enjoyed racing with multiple classes (i.e. American LeMans).
:Steer:Steerdrastic closing rates, varying braking distances, traffic, numerous races within the greater race...I'm getting all worked up just thinking about it:kookoo

10/3/08, 2:05 PM   #5
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I disagree. Why is there a need for another USAC series that runs the same tracks? The SC cars should be running the ovals…..they don’t need another “higher” series running them too. There is no need to be running tracks over 1 mile with these cars. That was a bad decision for a new car in the first place IMO. Daytona sold them on the need for that and we see what happened with that. Why have these cars run an all oval series when they already have a “top” level of USAC with the SC cars? Remember they were pretty much at least 40 cars strong at most races before the mistake was made. I don’t see them being able to put together enough of a schedule to entice people to buy in to a Gold Crown all oval series. I’ve thought that all along when they scraped the car for a year. I sure don’t want them to “steal” pavement ovals from the current SC cars to fill out a schedule.

They have to find SOMETHING to do with these cars. I don’t think USAC really needs to be in the road racing business per se. However, this might not be bad with these cars (with some modifications). Maybe some road racing experience will help guys with the IRL. Not likely, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt. The owners couldn’t use the no road racing experience card. It could give them exposure to teams on ovals and roads. If it’s not a person’s thing, then just follow the other three series like always.

10/3/08, 2:31 PM   #6
D.O.

Gold Crown series a larger 1.25 series??? .25 series ??? Road Course's ? Straight Axle Karts ?

KOKOMO QUARTER MIDGET CLUB ANNOUNCES USAC AFFILIATION

The Kokomo Quarter Midget Club, headquartered in Kokomo, Ind., has become the first to announce its affiliation with the United States Auto Club’s (USAC) new “Point .25 Midget” initiative.

USAC’s new development series director James Spink is excited about the Kokomo affiliation. “We are extremely pleased to have them on board,” said Spink. “USAC has always served as a springboard for careers in motorsports and our quarter midget operations will be an extension of that, while providing a level playing field for families who want to engage in our sport. The Kokomo club has a great history, as do we, and we look forward to our combined efforts to enhance this sport.”

Memberships, rules and a dedicated presence on USAC’s website are all assets the Kokomo club will acquire under its new USAC affiliation.

“We are proud to add the Kokomo club to our growing list of valued associates and we look forward to providing them a comfortable, yet competitive atmosphere for their endeavors,” said USAC President Kevin Miller. “We certainly look forward to welcoming them into our family and attentively monitoring the achievements of their participants.”

The concept of USAC’s quarter midget involvement encompasses sanctioning of clubs, districts and regions, with each club or region conducting its own series of races and championship. USAC will host four district championships and a national event in 2009.

“The Kokomo club’s record of accomplishments is extensive,” continued Miller. “We expect many graduates from the Kokomo quarter midget ranks to pursue their racing dreams like quarter midget graduates Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, Jason Leffler, Bobby East and Tracy Hines have done in the past, extending their careers under USAC’s banner.”

Jeremy Jameson, President of the Kokomo Quarter Midget Club, also echoes the “family” sentiments when affirming his commitment to USAC’s quarter midget operations. “We are pleased to be a part of USAC’s family,” he says. “USAC has produced some of America’s greatest racing talent and it is a distinct privilege to become part of their grand history in motorsports.”

In 2008 the club, which competes at a paved oval northeast of Kokomo, hosted the famed “Robbie Stanley Memorial Race” which honors the memory of USAC’s late three-time National Sprint Car Champion, following a rainout at Mini-Indy Speedway in Indianapolis. Adam Wilsdon of Howell, Mich., who competed in four USAC Kenyon Midget races earlier this year, won the Stanley race for the second consecutive year.

While off the topic of feeder series to Gold Crown with .25 how about Karts in the Park??

The Indy Karting Series returns this weekend on RaceFanRadio, live in Mooresville, Indiana, as their season finale winds though the rolling hills of scenic Pioneer Park.

The Lucas Oil sponsored series will be presented by Motorama Kart Parts with full coverage starting at 11am Eastern both days.

For those who would like to get an up-close vantage point, admission is FREE and numerous spots to watch throughout the park include plenty of parking….so bring a lawn chair or tune in...!

For full details, go to: www.RaceFanRadio.com
Last edited by D.O.; 10/3/08 at 2:37 PM.

10/3/08, 3:10 PM   #7
Doug Bushey

Wow...this topic is shocking! So, USAC thinks the next direction for the Gold Crown series (formerly known as the Silver Crown series) car is road course racing.

I'm not so sure I see how that benefits the series...

I kinda understood putting fenders (okay, they called 'em pods) on the open wheel cars and trying them on the superspeedways. The theory made sense, try to appeal to larger (Nascar) audiences and wider exposure. That didn't work so well.

But road courses? What is the intent? Crossover to IRL? We all know Tony George's attempt to put open wheel, short-track drivers into the Indy 500 didn't work so well.

Lets see...a series that runs traditional, open wheel dirt-track cars as well as completely different, purpose-built "roadsters" on pavement. Who will be the drivers? Who will fork out the dough and be the owners? Who will be the sponsors? What will each get out of their respective efforts, time and money?

I don't get it.

It seems like USAC is taking two steps backward to make one step forward. Champ cars from the glory days split into entirely separate beasts...the (front-engine) Silver Crown dirt car and the (rear-engine) Indy Car (or whatever it's called today). Silver Crown has launched several drivers into Nascar and elsewhere. Indy Cars have vaulted some to Nascar, Formula One, etc. Both already have development series, quarter midgets through midget and spint for dirt, and Formula Atlantic or Indy Lights, etc. for pavement.

This article is the first I've heard of this new direction. I hope someone can point me in the right direction or shed some light on the subject for me.

10/3/08, 3:55 PM   #8
Brolzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBullet View Post
I'm probably the only one who loves road racing on this board, so I'll stick up for it...as I duck and cover b/c I'll probably catch ***** for liking it.

Some of the better sprint drivers enjoy road racing: Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Cole Whitt...just to name a few.

It's a pure form of racing, something very natural about pushing the limits where every corner is unique and as elevation changes. I particularly enjoyed racing with multiple classes (i.e. American LeMans).
:Steer:Steerdrastic closing rates, varying braking distances, traffic, numerous races within the greater race...I'm getting all worked up just thinking about it:kookoo
Hey, I'm right there with you...so there's two of us who love road racing around here! I'm more of a Grand-Am fan though...

10/3/08, 4:00 PM   #9
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bushey View Post
Wow...this topic is shocking! So, USAC thinks the next direction for the Gold Crown series (formerly known as the Silver Crown series) car is road course racing.

This article is the first I've heard of this new direction. I hope someone can point me in the right direction or shed some light on the subject for me.
Doug, you'll be happy to know, the Gold Crown is different from the Silver Crown. Silver Crown (pavement and dirt) will remain the same. Gold Crown is it's own seperate division/series. (Luckily). :thumb
Hope this helps.
David.

10/3/08, 4:12 PM   #10
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
Doug, you'll be happy to know, the Gold Crown is different from the Silver Crown. Silver Crown (pavement and dirt) will remain the same. Gold Crown is it's own seperate division/series. (Luckily). :thumb
Hope this helps.
David.
That's my point. You don't need two series that run the same size of car to run the same tracks give or take. If they were talking about building a brand new car to get into road racing, then I would say that doesn't make sense for an oval based series. They already have the cars so do something different with them. Very few people liked them so think outside the box. Might as well get SOME use out of them.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Gold Crown "Road Course" testing.