IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent)
1/11/08, 12:53 PM   #21
Re: New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent)
RDS2

I miss the sunday afternoon races. You could have a sunday afternoon picnic at the track see some great racing and home early in the evening. Put you in a good mood before going to work on Monday.
Ron

1/11/08, 1:39 PM   #22
hosstalker

It's great to have people willing to look past the recent history and willing to sink $$$ and time into the track.

Growing up announcers would call qualifying and say, 'so and so. He won at Terre Haute..." It was understood that it was a big race.

Competing weekly against the established tracks around it sounds too difficult to me.

If they can build 6-8 good dates this year, with real fan support THAT will be OK after all.:applaud::applaud::applaud:

1/11/08, 2:32 PM   #23
D.O.

Gerry Olsen tried a weekly type thing for a while and it didn't work. No people or cars. THAT is a Special only track.

1/11/08, 3:41 PM   #24
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS2 View Post
I miss the sunday afternoon races. You could have a sunday afternoon picnic at the track see some great racing and home early in the evening. Put you in a good mood before going to work on Monday.
Ron
I liked the Sunday shows also. No support series, just Sprints.

We would get there around noon, tailgate and watch qualies that started around 1:00PM.

Racing started at 2:00PM, I saw a complete show and was back at home in Indy by 6:00PM.

Aah, the good old days.

PS
The grandstands were packed back then. Compare that to the multi series races we have now and empty seats.

1/11/08, 7:43 PM   #25
Flags anything

If Mike, Brian & Davey are the choice of the fair board. then drop the:greenflag: on this deal and let them get to work on dates and repairs to facility, so THAT lives up to the name "ACTION TRACK"

Bill Shipman

1/11/08, 7:56 PM   #26
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flags anything View Post
If Mike, Brian & Davey are the choice of the fair board. then drop the:greenflag: on this deal and let them get to work on dates and repairs to facility, so THAT lives up to the name "ACTION TRACK"

Bill Shipman
Same Bill Shipman associated with MSCS?

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1/11/08, 8:36 PM   #27
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
That makes sense, Jeff. I see your logic. But, there is no way the people on the South end would put up with a weekly show. They complain enough the way it is.

Jerry
Who was there first? The track or the people? If the track then they should get preference. If the people, then lets work wth them so we can keep racing at THAT.

I sure hope there are a couple of Silver Crown races there with midgets and sprints as well.

1/11/08, 8:39 PM   #28
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
Who was there first? The track or the people? If the track then they should get preference. If the people, then lets work wth them so we can keep racing at THAT.

I sure hope there are a couple of Silver Crown races there with midgets and sprints as well.
Doesn't matter who was there first.Zoning, ordinances and such.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1/11/08, 10:42 PM   #29
okienonwingfan

I will give you my story of the track. I had a ex that lived in Indy and I was coming to see her one weekend. I stoppd at the gas station right off the highway to get gas before I hit Indy. As I was getting gas I was hearing what I thought were race motors so I asked the attendant, who was a female, if the track was nearby. Being from Oklahoma you would always hear stories and read about THAT. She said it was down the street. So I got in my truck and drove pass the track.

One other time I was in Indy, the Hut Hundred was getting ready to happen but I had to be back in Oklahoma for work. I got to Joplin Missouri and my boss called me to ask where I was because I had to be at work the next day. I told him I was in Joplin and I was heading home but I missed the race. He told me that he could have had someone cover my shift if I wanted to goto the race. I was so pissed .

I am glad to see THAT back in action. Before I die that is one track I want to get to.

1/12/08, 12:45 AM   #30
SpfldMile

I think the problem with running a weekly show is that your normal crowd gets used to paying 10 or 12 bucks at the gate, then a special event rolls in and the gate is 25. I think a lot of the normal crowd stay home then. A bunch of them are there to see their driver in a modified or Late model anyway, so the decision is easy. I wish it would work, but I just think special events are the way to go, at least at Terre Haute.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent)