IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thriller Of A Sprint Feature at LPS!!
6/6/21, 12:40 AM   #1
Jerry Shaw

It kind of looked like we might be in for one, the way the lineup was. Newly minted track ringer Jake Swanson in the second row. Jadon Rogers right behind him, on the outside of the 3rd row. AJ Hopkins right behind him. Shane Cockrum right behind him, in the 5th row. And Brent Beauchamp all the way back in the 8th row.

After the green came out, after a few laps, as you might expect, Swanson would assume the lead, after battling with Harley Burn and Jake Scott. Rogers was screaming around the very top of the race course and immediately started moving up through the field. As was Cockrum, using a lower line. Then a yellow came out and the race took as serious hit, as Hopkins was in the work area and it was soon announced that he would not be able to continue.

When they went back green, the best skirmish that had broken out was one between Rogers and Scott. This went on for quite a few laps, until Rogers would finally take the position. Until a another yellow happened, which would force him to pry the spot away from Scott one more time. This was the most sustained battle of the race.

By the time this was done, Swanson was checked out. And it was going to take quite an effort from Rogers to reel him back in. Rogers set sail for the leader and as they weaved in and out of different packs of lapped (or soon to be lapped) cars, he was definitely cutting into Jake's margin and it was looking like it might be possible, as where a few laps earlier, it really didn't. And Brent Beauchamp, who didn't make a lot of progress in the first parts of the race, had began to pass cars like crazy. It was starting to look like he may end up being a factor, towards the end.

Then there was another yellow. When that one happened, I think everybody knew now for sure that we were getting ready to see a real rumble to the finish. And as soon as the green flew that immediately started happening. Jadon was applying pressure and a few laps into this part of the race, went around the outside of him. Only to be countered. On the third or fourth pass for the lead, Jadon went around him on the outside, coming out of turn 4 and seemed to have control of the lead and at a few points, had a little bit of a cushion. But then Jake mounted a comeback and with a few very aggressive dives into turn 3, edged back under him at least once, maybe twice, as the laps wound down. And then, it was either as they came down to take the white flag or the checker (this type of race caused me to have one of those Clint Eastwood "In all this excitement, I forgot whether I fired 6 shots or six" moments), here comes Shane Cockrum and he throws a huge slide job on the both of them!! Jadon and Jake countered the move and kept their positions, but most of the people that go to this place a lot have seen Shane successfully pull off this move more than once, so there was some serious high drama all the way to end this thing!

So Jadon won a hard fought battle to the finish and is just on a tear, right now. Jake has instantly become one of the guys to beat at Lincoln Park Speedway and I'd like to see where anyone predicted that before this season started. And that 5 car, who owns that? It's a great driver/car combination. Shane came from 10th to 3rd and almost picked both of their pockets. Jake Scott took the 4th finishing position and has just been battling all year! And Beauchamp came from 16th to 5th and did most of that in the last half of the race.

There was a really big crowd there tonight. Especially for a regular weekly program. After seeing a race like that one, I'm guessing a lot of them will be back. I saw two really great features Thursday night at Paragon. This one was better than either one of those.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/6/21 at 11:31 AM.

6/6/21, 3:31 AM   #2
Re: Thriller Of A Sprint Feature at LPS!!
jim goerge

Jerry Thanks for the recap I feel like I was there. If you say it was better than Thursday night races then I missed a hell of a race. There was just way to much sheet metal for me.

6/6/21, 11:28 AM   #3
Adolph

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 27,27,40,28,69

And here I was feeling sorry for the people who didn't go to Lawrenceburg.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/6/21, 12:33 PM   #4
JDK222

Stephanie Fish has a great video of the last 8 laps on Facebook.

3 members like this post: Jerry Shaw, racenut69, tirespinner
6/6/21, 12:47 PM   #5
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
Stephanie Fish has a great video of the last 8 laps on Facebook.
Thanks for the heads up. Spot on camera work by Stephanie, there. Here's a link to it: https://www.facebook.com/TrackSideWi...26123768383751

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/6/21 at 1:01 PM.

6/6/21, 2:04 PM   #6
tdt636

Like you said Jerry, it was an instant classic!!!

6/6/21, 3:21 PM   #7
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdt636 View Post
Like you said Jerry, it was an instant classic!!!
You're misquoting me, Toby. I'm pretty sure I used another word in between the words "Instant" and "Classic", in describing my first impression of this race.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

6/6/21, 7:28 PM   #8
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
You're misquoting me, Toby. I'm pretty sure I used another word in between the words "Instant" and "Classic", in describing my first impression of this race.

Jerry
Jerry Shaw the car owner is Joe Daming, this is his first year as an owner. I tell him all the time that engine is the little -12 head that could. Lol.

2 members like this post: Jerry Shaw, tirespinner
6/6/21, 7:49 PM   #9
tdt636

Jerry I was keeping it PG 🤣

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, Jerry Shaw
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thriller Of A Sprint Feature at LPS!!