IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?
6/8/12, 2:00 AM   #131
Re: USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?
racephoto1

I do have one question. If ignite gave sponsorship money to USAC for the Silver Crown(Championship Dirt Cars sounds a lot better) where did it go? There should be no purse cuts what so ever, the sponsorship money should have been used to cover the purse increases. Seems like that isn't happening if they are cutting purses.

I wonder if Ignite feels they are getting a bang for the bucks they put up for the series, because it sure seems as if the competitors aren't.

4 members like this post: IndyBound, jjsprt92, Mud Packer, SC90
6/8/12, 8:09 AM   #132
backitin

Well my first post on this subject, Someone mentioned they would like to see te big cars not only survive but thrive. Seems at this stage just surviving might be the goal for now especially in the light of mandated fuel. I almost said well maybe they are done, time to stick a fork in it. However as long as theres those few people out there who really love the cars theres a chance. They might not ever thrive again but it would be great if the last stong hold of Champ Cars doesnt go away. I know all about it being a speedway racer, I dont understand why more people dont follow it (promoter sucks for one) but I'm glad that theres at least one track where us like minded guys can go and bang bars. I do however think that it wouldnt hurt if the cars werent so butt ugly. Asthetics does matter to the fan in the bleachers. The other thing is Champ Cars have your 410 sprints to compete with for fans, most people want they're entertainment fast, kinda out of control, and over with. Plus, kids lose interest pretty quick. Lose some body work too, most guys in the stands want to see the driver wheeling the car. I'm completely bias towards 410 sprints but it would be sad to see champ cars go, not that me and most everyone else would get over it. I'm almost over flemington getting paved, if I can do that I can get over anything.
Last edited by backitin; 6/8/12 at 9:42 AM.

2 members like this post: DAD, SteveD
6/8/12, 8:38 AM   #133
SteveD

If your marketing program is getting backed up in alligators, start jacking with the product and then when it fails you can blame the particapants....hey, it works for the government all the time. Maybe the Dept. of Agriculture should just "let it go".
Last edited by SteveD; 6/8/12 at 8:46 AM.

1 member likes this post: SC90
6/8/12, 8:47 AM   #134
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Tony George, Tony Hulman where you guys when we need you.
Tony George got fired by his mother.

3 members like this post: DAD, racephoto1
6/8/12, 8:59 AM   #135
mortboyz

6/8/12, 9:43 AM   #136
Vukie

Interesting.
http://danac.deviantart.com/art/Evo-...y-Car-27235593

3 members like this post: DAD, IndyBound, Mud Packer
6/8/12, 10:49 AM   #137
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
Tony George got fired by his mother.
But he never stopped trying to support the USAC racers. Remember 16th street Speedway. He Even grew up a pretty good race car driver.

Somebody with his talents, abilities and stature could go a long way in breathing a breath of fresh air into this sport.

Driving a race car takes: seat, time seat, time seat time. Running a race organization takes: advertise, advertise, advertise. Got to get the word out and the word has got to make people want to see the action. This needs to start with the local tracks making press releases. Start some rivalries I know we still have them it is just they never get past the pit gates.

Competition is good. There are a lot of other things out there for people to spend their money on to be entertained. A lot of it is at lower cost or free. We got to make them want to spend it on race tracks.

In the past I have spent a ton of money advertising. The thing I know for sure if you do it right you had better have the people in place to take care of the demand.

IOW is a good place to start but it only takes care of a nitch market itself. You already have these peoples attention. Race tracks need to
advertise to the mass of people out there. That means Broadcast which is to throw the word out all over and if done right the people will respond to it. If not pretty soon all races will be back gate supported and we wont need grand stand's anymore.

Racing is a business, you need a good product. We got that already. Then you got to make the average Joe like and or want your product the most. I will still drink Coke even if Pepsi is a lot cheaper. Jeff Gordon started with Coke but switching to Pepsi that did not change my mind I'll go with "Smoke and Coke".

What makes USAC different from The World of Outlaws? I can remember when the Outlaws were a flash in the pan and would not last very long, well they*** "Advertised Gwendlyn"*** and what did that get them.

PR PR PR

Honest Dad himself

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
Thanks Vukie

I wish I were literate enough to do things like that. That is a very very good read and some neat pics. I kinda of like the way this guy thinks, we must be related someway. We could use him on IOW right now.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/8/12 at 11:38 AM.

6/8/12, 2:47 PM   #138
rj1

Quote:
It is really very simple:

Talk to the people at 16th and Georgetown rd. in Indy. Explain to them the need for a big car front engined race at their particular race track. Sit down and come up with a good set of rules for this new old class. Give USAC's and World of Outlaws best a year to get ready for this race.

Stand back and watch.
Okay.

Does anyone have a solution that has a higher than zero percent chance of occurring?

Quote:
But he never stopped trying to support the USAC racers. Remember 16th street Speedway.
Yeah. Went there once. It later went out of business.

And by the time he got fired, IMS was losing $20 million per year. Randy Bernard at least has returned it to break-even.
Last edited by rj1; 6/8/12 at 2:53 PM.

6/8/12, 3:04 PM   #139
treecitytornado

Dad,

Champ Car Motors do cost as much as a good 410 aluminum, because the only difference is the steel block and many of the Bow Tie Blocks have been lightened too. They run All Pro and GB Heads and Engler Injection on a Champ Car 360, just like a 410. Besides a 410 in a Champ Car would never go 100 miles, they would suck too much fuel, unless you want to go back to the fuel stop.
God I miss the late 80s and the early 90s! That's when Champ Dirt Car racing had its best racing and highest car counts! That's before USAC started messing with a good thing!

2 members like this post: racephoto1, SC90
6/8/12, 5:46 PM   #140
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Dad,

Champ Car Motors do cost as much as a good 410 aluminum, because the only difference is the steel block and many of the Bow Tie Blocks have been lightened too. They run All Pro and GB Heads and Engler Injection on a Champ Car 360, just like a 410. Besides a 410 in a Champ Car would never go 100 miles, they would suck too much fuel, unless you want to go back to the fuel stop.
God I miss the late 80s and the early 90s! That's when Champ Dirt Car racing had its best racing and highest car counts! That's before USAC started messing with a good thing!
Should have seen the 60's and 70's then JT. Skinny tires no cage and pure car and driver. Maybe not as fast but much much better to watch and they were trying to get somewhere then "INDY". Heck they didn't even know about stagger back then but they goterturned somehow.

Honest Dad himself

---------- Post added at 5:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1 View Post
Okay.

Does anyone have a solution that has a higher than zero percent chance of occurring?

Yeah. Went there once. It later went out of business.

And by the time he got fired, IMS was losing $20 million per year. Randy Bernard at least has returned it to break-even.
RJ did you click on that link Vukie put up a couple of posts ago.
Remember Just say "no" and you will never be wrong. Open wheel racing in general needs to be either fixed or shot. Outlaws doing great! Sprint cars not making any money, Midgets are a great tax right off, and most of the grandstands are empty "GO FIGURE".

PS I think Tony had just finished winning a very expensive war.

Honest Dad himself

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?