IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dirt Track Prep
6/16/14, 5:50 PM   #1
Dirt Track Prep
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Another interesting article... Tom Helfrich talking dirt track prep.

The article is dated. September 6, 2001

http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...?__federated=1

6/16/14, 8:40 PM   #2
Re: Dirt Track Prep
DAD

Bill

OK i read the article first. He is an expert at his track. The point that came across most was that farming a dirt track is hard work and sometimes hard work still turns into something the color of dirt.

The first trip we made down there it rained all the way down and it was reining when we got there. We walked up to the grandstands to look at the track and they were tilling it and adding water. There was a guy up there watching and I asked him if he thought they would be racing that night. He said sure will this rain is about to blow over and the track is working nice.. Well it did and we had one super nice race track.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/16/14, 9:14 PM   #3
johnnythunderhead
Banned

it seems the main problem that most track prep people have is they are putting water onto a track that has clay already packed HARD AS A ROCK, SO THAT THE WATER IS ON THE TRACK, BUT NOT IN THE TRACK. THE TRACK HAS TO BE OPENED UP AND THEN WATERED, SO THERE IS PLENTY OF WATER IN THE TRACK, THEN PACKED WITH A SHEEPFOOT AND THEN WATERED SOME MORE doesn't hurt to mix some manure in with the dirt from time to time either, it really is like farming the track
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 6/16/14 at 9:16 PM.

7 members like this post: bigq11, DAD, dustbowl, fishnman, nathans1012, PIT CART, racenut69
6/16/14, 9:38 PM   #4
kcarm92

#1 most tracks dont have the equipment that tri- state has so dont try to do what he does.
#2 dont over water the thing.
#3 if we dont want to get our cars muddy by packing the track then make it dry and remind us we when we complaine we wanted it dry lol
#4 just be glad we can still afford to go race.

3 members like this post: DAD, Danny Burton, K9Racer
6/16/14, 9:59 PM   #5
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarm92 View Post
#1 most tracks dont have the equipment that tri- state has so dont try to do what he does..
Yeah ya jackwagon it talks about that in the article. Lol.

6/16/14, 10:06 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Interesting article. Now if Tom would just start paying more attention to the IOW track prep experts here on the board, he just might one day make it and be half way decent at it.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6 members like this post: El1teBr33ze, Flatrightrear, Gregg, jim goerge, mc/rider, Ty
6/16/14, 10:11 PM   #7
kcarm92

now bill why did you go and call me that lol when yoi comming to racetrack

6/16/14, 10:29 PM   #8
Bill Gardner
Administrator

You know it's all in fun

I'll b back once I get this pain under control. Have you missed my intelligent commentary. Lol

6/16/14, 10:56 PM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead View Post
it seems the main problem that most track prep people have is they are putting water onto a track that has clay already packed HARD AS A ROCK, SO THAT THE WATER IS ON THE TRACK, BUT NOT IN THE TRACK. THE TRACK HAS TO BE OPENED UP AND THEN WATERED, SO THERE IS PLENTY OF WATER IN THE TRACK, THEN PACKED WITH A SHEEPFOOT AND THEN WATERED SOME MORE doesn't hurt to mix some manure in with the dirt from time to time either, it really is like farming the track
johnny

Bet we could get a deal on that manure stuff right here on the good old IOW. I got a bunch of that stuff myself.

Honest Dad himself

6/16/14, 11:14 PM   #10
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
You know it's all in fun

I'll b back once I get this pain under control. Have you missed my intelligent commentary. Lol
And here I thought it was your good looks.

I recall reading that article when I was working. It was before I subscribed to Circle Track. Draw your own conclusions.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dirt Track Prep