IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2013 Smack Down
12/13/12, 9:33 AM   #1
2013 Smack Down
Josh Spencer

After finishing my "Best of Times" article in the Sprints & Midgets by Dave Argabright, it made me think of a great idea! (Scary I know) I thought it would be a great idea to do like U.S.A.C. did during the time frame Dave wrote these great stories on and have two fifty lap features (No Stops!) for the 2013 Smack Down. The first fifty laps will be lined up like a regular U.S.A.C. show and the second one will be inverted (winner to the back, with the last place finisher starting on the pole for the second feature). After the races there will be a picnic behind the grandstands, so everyone can mingle.

I guess I am just too caught up in Dave's stories and Marv's results page. I will get back to the present now, can't wait to see you all at the track.

Josh Spencer

12/13/12, 10:11 AM   #2
PFrederickson

that is a great idea. They need to do that. That would definently mix things up a bit. You should call Jill about that.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Josh Spencer
12/13/12, 11:11 AM   #3
Re: 2013 Smack Down
robert gatten

kings speedway, in CA, had a race called "the gold cup",i think, that ran on friday night for points then on Sat night they lined up by inverting the whole field and the winner of the cup was the driver who passed the most cars. very exciting. Normally two winners,one who won the race and one who won the cup..don't think there was ever a driver that won both but could be wrong about that.(this was before kyle larson, ha) They may still run this show but i haven't been there in several years. Also it was a wing thing.

12/13/12, 11:40 AM   #4
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert gatten View Post
kings speedway, in CA, had a race called "the gold cup",i think, that ran on friday night for points then on Sat night they lined up by inverting the whole field and the winner of the cup was the driver who passed the most cars. very exciting. Normally two winners,one who won the race and one who won the cup..don't think there was ever a driver that won both but could be wrong about that.(this was before kyle larson, ha) They may still run this show but i haven't been there in several years. Also it was a wing thing.
Its the trophy cup , TK won both 2 years ago . its held at Tulare .

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, FishBurger, I Miss Manzy, Josh Spencer
12/13/12, 12:35 PM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

We can only dream for now Josh. A great idea that I hope can someday become reality.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: FishBurger, Josh Spencer
12/13/12, 7:45 PM   #6
robert gatten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
Its the trophy cup , TK won both 2 years ago . its held at Tulare .
thats it, i knew it was some cup race, ha. i could see TK winning the whole thing as he's great in CA. don't think it was at Tulare back years ago but do remember it was a hell of a show !

12/13/12, 8:11 PM   #7
racephoto1

I remember Eldora running Twin 50's , before there was a 4 Crown. Great show.

2 members like this post: Josh Spencer, speed bump
12/13/12, 10:58 PM   #8
duel

Twin 50's to close the season for usac in the 70's. Eldora one weekend and Winchester the next. Triple 33's at Winchester for the closer one time. Kokomo would have pay 2 features. 3g's for the 1st and 7 grand for the second 50? Back to the present, I was more than geeked with last years 3 day show.

12/14/12, 12:28 PM   #9
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

I really enjoyed last years format. other than maybe a passing point tweak (more points per pass), I wouldn't change it. I thought it made for a good show. the problem I see with running two features where the second is a complete invert is this could cause quite a few incidents as obviously the slower cars would all be in the front.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
12/15/12, 2:07 AM   #10
barny oldfeller

twin 50's might be better suited to eldora or lawrenceburg where there's more room to race

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2013 Smack Down