IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tail Tank Repaint Question
10/13/08, 9:58 AM   #1
Tail Tank Repaint Question
Jack Dupp

I need to repaint a tail tank with multiple layers of old, cracked and flaking paint. It
got punched twice this year and is looking pretty sad.

What do you recommend to remove the old paint? Chemical stripper would be the
easiest, but I worry about residuals soaked into the plastic ruining the new paint.

What primer have you had success with?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

We already figured out how to reduce tank damaging "trunk shots": RUN FASTER!

10/13/08, 11:41 AM   #2
Re: Tail Tank Repaint Question
BRENT

We use a chemical stripper for aircraft and a water blaster with a rotary nozzle. Any primer is ok as long as it is compatable with the paint. We haven't had problems with the new paint.

10/14/08, 10:39 AM   #3
wallbanger II

after stripeing.clean with perpsol or 3812 enamel reducer sand with 220 grit sandpaper
spray with two coats of bulldog adhesion promoter.then one good coat of ppg dp40 primer
green gray.do repairs and recoat repaired area with bulldog and dp40.skuf with a red skuf pad and prime with two or three coats of ppg k36 or k38 primer surfcer gray.now coat with a light coat of guide coat black from a spray can.let dry overnight.block sand with
400 grit and water untill guide coat is gone.stop sanding if you go through gray to green.
seal with dp40 skuff and paint

10/14/08, 12:02 PM   #4
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Good recommendations on product there from Wallbanger. Tail tanks are polypropolene plastic. Polypropolene inherently does not have large numbers of free electrons, consequently molecular bonding of paint or primer is difficult to obtain at best. The adhesion promoter is a vital step to ensure a good bond.

One thing that is always frustrating is the little "fuzzies" that pop up on the surface after sanding the plastic. I have had pretty good luck on TPO bumper covers with applying a film of adhesion promoter to the raw plastic before final sanding and it really cuts down on the "fuzzies." I haven't tried it on a tail tank yet, but the effect should likely be the same.

There are also some pretty good 2-part epoxy repair materials for bumper covers that work nicely on a tail tank. You would need to use an "all materials" product, as there are specialty compounds for TPO, TPE etc, but none for polypropolene.
I like Lord Fusor and 3-M the best. These products come in a double tube caulk gun style dispenser and the screw on nozzles mix the materials. If anyone uses these types of dispensers, make sure to squeeze out a couple of inches of material on a shop towel first. This will ensure the mix in the nozzle is good.

Probably too much info there, but maybe someday someone will find it valuable.

Good luck.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

10/14/08, 12:13 PM   #5
Jack Dupp

Quote:
Probably too much info there,
No such thing my friends! Thank you all for helping out.

Dave

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tail Tank Repaint Question