IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What would it take for USAC to be as big as the WOO?
11/12/23, 9:19 PM   #1
What would it take for USAC to be as big as the WOO?
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Since the off season can get very boring at times, I thought about this a bit today and thought this would be a good topic to discuss during the off season.

Just a thought I had while watching a few NFL games this afternoon.

What would it take for USAC to be as big as the World Of Outlaws currently are now or is USAC already on the same level?

What would have to happen to make this a possibility and make non-wing racing more of a national thing like winged racing?

Boost in race payouts for each show.?
Big name guys that run wing taking the wing off and seeing how they stack up?
A Bigger Schedule with more race dates and visiting new tracks?
More big sponsors to help with the payouts?
Getting more people interested in non-wing racing fans and drivers included?

Problem that likely keeps this from happening is there are more 410 wing races in the U.S. than there are 410 non-wing race cars and there are more tracks for the winged racers to race at.
Last edited by nathans1012; 11/12/23 at 9:26 PM.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, Grocery Guy, oppweld
11/12/23, 10:23 PM   #2
Re: What would it take for USAC to be as big as the WOO?
cornerthree

Me to win the 1 billion dollar lottery. The big names will never take the wings off. It's what they know and there are to many good paying races. Keep it in the Midwest where the cars are. Big purses to get more teams to run full time. And I hate to say it because I live in Wisconsin only half the shows on PPV. Make them want to go to track to see all the races. And with they money left over 3 silver crown races on the miles and Terra Haute.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
11/12/23, 11:29 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It won't, It can't and it shouldn't.

Most drivers and owners have full time jobs and the availability and funds to race 30-40 times a year. We've had big sponsors come and go. Red Bull, Chevy, Dodge then Chevy Performance and Mopar Perforance

USAC hasn't gone bankrupt like Both the All Stars and WoO have althrough they tried like hell with the Speedway Champ Pavement car and a giant book that wouldn't sell for close to cost.

That being said, USAC and Speedshift brought in sprint car racing to Flo and should stop being treated like the red headed stepchild. It'd be great if they chipped in and made something like all the Master of Going faster races 15k to win 1k to start or something.

As far as talent? Look, You got about five in WoO that are going to win 90% of the races. Think it's about the same in USAC and honestly THE overal show product is much better. As someone else said, Show up for the feature at a winged race because the rest of the show is hot laps.

11/13/23, 5:05 AM   #4
motorhead748

It would take USAC to find a fountain of youth for their fan base.

5 members like this post: dirtybob29, dkdorkboy, flagboy55, oppweld, PIT CART
11/13/23, 8:05 AM   #5
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
As someone else said, Show up for the feature at a winged race because the rest of the show is hot laps.
I whole heartedly agree. Ive been to many sprint races where after the heats Ive thought I got my moneys worth I can leave right now and would have been satisfied. Thats probably happened at a few feature rainouts

11/13/23, 9:25 AM   #6
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
What would it take for USAC to be as big as the World Of Outlaws currently are now or is USAC already on the same level?
It would be neat to ask this question to Kyle Larson and Brad Sweet. Maybe next time at the track and we see these guys, someone do it.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, flagboy55, Grocery Guy
11/13/23, 10:29 AM   #7
dsc1600

A change in the tastes of most dirt racing fans. Sadly no matter how much exposure Usac gets or how good the racing usually is, casual fans like winged racing more.

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, motorhead748, oldfan49
11/13/23, 10:48 AM   #8
B99

$$$$$$

Sadly USAC lost this battle a long time ago-the WoO brand and name still draws fans (and drivers). People are willing to pay $50 for a WoO race. Very few would pay $50 for a USAC race.

Winged cars are also perceived, rightly or wrongly, to be safer than traditional sprints. And winged races pay a lot more.

11/13/23, 10:55 AM   #9
badcoupe

I remember Larson mentioning in the dirt series that non wing is like killing yourself slowly or something to that effect.

11/13/23, 11:15 AM   #10
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Since the off season can get very boring at times, I thought about this a bit today and thought this would be a good topic to discuss during the off season.

Just a thought I had while watching a few NFL games this afternoon.

What would have to happen to make this a possibility and make non-wing racing more of a national thing like winged racing?

Boost in race payouts for each show.?
Big name guys that run wing taking the wing off and seeing how they stack up?
A Bigger Schedule with more race dates and visiting new tracks?
More big sponsors to help with the payouts?
Getting more people interested in non-wing racing fans and drivers included?

Problem that likely keeps this from happening is there are more 410 wing races in the U.S. than there are 410 non-wing race cars and there are more tracks for the winged racers to race at.
My opinion - What it would take is a "dictator" with the strong promotional characteristic to draw the dollars necessary to make the entertainment as, or even more, attractive to all of the "shareholders", those being the racers/owners, track operators/owners, sponsors and , more importantly, the fans, be they hard core, casual, or new. Where I'm going with this is I don't believe there would ever be a WOO without Ted Johnson, and there probably wouldn't be an ASCS without Emmet Hahn, and there probably wouldn't be an Allstars without the Emicks. In my mind these folks had a vision and stayed on task, succeeding and thriving against many obstacles and potential rival organizations. These folks stayed the course to make the show better for all concerned.

What I've found in my time is that any racing organization that is run by committee, be they racers, owners, etc. has a very difficult time succeeding because some priorities for each is most-likely in conflict with others, minimizing the organization's success, eventually ending in some sort of split. The "dictator', on the other hand is more able to keep the main objective in focus and, therefore, march in one direction rather than be pulled in several directions. They also have the promotional characteristic to draw the sponsorship necessary to succeed.

Again, just my observation and opinion.

Tim Simmons

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What would it take for USAC to be as big as the WOO?