IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thunder Valley Raceway
4/12/15, 8:41 PM   #1
Thunder Valley Raceway
ThunderValleyRaceway

Division ll Midgets

thunder valley.jpg
Last edited by ThunderValleyRaceway; 4/12/15 at 10:08 PM.

6 members like this post: Brewer 14, cmiracingvids, DAD, GSR96, TNRustler, WinglessLovers
4/12/15, 11:29 PM   #2
Re: Thunder Valley Raceway
DAD

Thunder

I don't know if I should congratulate you or send you my condolence. You have taken over what could be the best Division II Midgets tracks in the Midwest. We raced there in the early 90's and it wasn't unusual to find 40+ 600cc upright Mini sprints and another 130+ small 4 cylinder stock cars mini pickups etc.

However the track has always been a political football. The group that ran the track when we raced there was voted out of office, that is the board members that supported them were voted out of office and the new members had a different outlook on how the track would operate. The next promoter loved the Mini Sprints but did not care much for the stock class and the numbers in the stock class fell off radically. The next promoters also raced Mini Sprints and chose to make rules to run off his competition and he did exactly that and the Mini Sprints started loosing numbers also.

Another promoter took the track over but he was more into open wheel modified and V8 stock cars. Little Salem is a 1/5 mile track and the big cars did not work too well there. We came back during this time but soon learned that the 600 cc cars were now playing second fiddle to the V8 cars. The track is 30 miles from our house so we stuck with for a year. During this time the new promoter managed to also get a contract on a larger track a little further up the road. I guess for him to be able to run two tracks and to keep competition down he changed little Salem over to a Friday night track. This was in my opinion the "Kiss of Death" for the once famous "Wonder Valley". We as well as most others who raced there also had jobs to hold down, and Every Friday was out the question for us and many others. I lost track of little Salem over the last several years but it was my understanding that car count and front gate where way down.

You have a great Idea and a Great race track, don't worry about the tracks up north>>>go back to 4 cylinder cars only the track was designed for them and they can put on one heck of a race there. Carve yourself out a nich group of race cars and >>>DUMP FRIDAY NIGHT RACING !!!!!

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Chief29
4/12/15, 11:37 PM   #3
mud chassis

Friday nights are hard for people to make it. Look at Linton they keep losing car count because of it and some of who ran it. There closed now.

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/13/15, 8:20 AM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

On the other hand, Saturdays would put the track head-to-head with the only other regular Midget gig in the state 8 times this year; unlike the tracks that run Sprint Cars against each other Saturdays I doubt there are enough Midgets around to support two tracks, unless they are counting on the Chain Drivers to make up the bulk of the field.
Personally, I'm committed to supporting Harold on a regular basis but I do plan on at least checking Thunder Valley out a time or two.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

4/13/15, 8:58 AM   #5
cbaumeyer48

What is the payout schedule for the entire field? (With 20+ cars).... And if less than 20??

4/13/15, 9:04 AM   #6
ThunderValleyRaceway

the full break down on payout will be on thundervalleyraceway.net web page soon as its up and running ... if less then 20 cars payout is will to be adjusted

4/13/15, 9:26 AM   #7
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
On the other hand, Saturdays would put the track head-to-head with the only other regular Midget gig in the state 8 times this year; unlike the tracks that run Sprint Cars against each other Saturdays I doubt there are enough Midgets around to support two tracks, unless they are counting on the Chain Drivers to make up the bulk of the field.
Personally, I'm committed to supporting Harold on a regular basis but I do plan on at least checking Thunder Valley out a time or two.
Jim

This track is a hundred and seventy five miles south of Montpelier, that makes it equidistant from Indianapolis. That would be great for you and super for us folks down south. With just a little work this track has the making of one super Midget track. It has a clay Clay racing surface, it is nice and wide with great banking, and the small size of 1/5 of a mile would make for some super competitive racing. Indiana can support two midget operations on a given Saturday night and I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't support three of them if they were placed right.

I wish these people well, they have undertaken a task much like Harold did several years ago at Montpelier. The track has been prosperous in the past has fallen on hard times. A person with drive and vision could pull it back once again if given a little support from the racing community.

Don't worry about that Big track outside of town it is pavement and it will attracts a different type crowd both racers and fan. Don't worry about the two big dirt tracks further north. Promote four cylinder cars that are better suited for and less expensive to race than their big brothers.

Treat the racers fairly and you guys can bring "Wonder Valley" back again.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/14/15 at 2:56 PM.

4/13/15, 9:31 AM   #8
ThunderValleyRaceway

That is are goal

4/13/15, 9:34 AM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderValleyRaceway View Post
the full break down on payout will be on thundervalleyraceway.net web page soon as its up and running ... if less then 20 cars payout is will to be adjusted
Thunder

A note from Harold's playbook up at Montpelier. He never set a minimum amount of cars for his pay out>>>>He did however increase the purse if more than 20 cars showed up to race. You guys are taking a big gamble why not shoot for broke.

Honest Dad himself

4/13/15, 10:13 AM   #10
DAD

Jim

I went to Montpelier's web site>>>Looks like they have Midgets planned for something like ten nights. That leaves a lot of free weekends for you guys to head south to enjoy our lovely summer weather in the "Sunny Side" of Indiana. After a few laps you would fall in love with this little track>>>Harold also hosts mod lites and several other small 4 cylinder race cars that would work great at this little track on their off nights.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/13/15 at 11:03 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thunder Valley Raceway