IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets
1/11/15, 9:01 PM   #1
Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets
DAD

Here are some better pics.

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

1/11/15, 11:58 PM   #2
Avon Open Wheel fan

Just a reminder that this event takes place on February 7th and is open to Division II/Sportsman Midgets and Lightning Sprints.

Some of the cars coming so far are Kenyon Midgets, Ford Focus or the new Honda Developmental Midget Program for USAC, and Ecotec.

So far we have drivers coming from the BAM series and Engler IMRA and I know I have missed at least one more midget series. The MMSA, ILLS, WIMS and AMSA lightning Sprint Series. If anyone knows of any series I have missed please let me know.

If you have any questions about the race or rules please send me a PM.

The big thing on rules is we will not allow any National Midget engines such as one used in a USAC or POWRI at this event. We want to keep the rules simple and at the same time allowing everyone who shows up an equal chance to win this event.

www.illinimidgets.com
Last edited by Avon Open Wheel fan; 1/12/15 at 4:13 PM.

1 member likes this post: tandtinc2424
1/12/15, 9:24 AM   #3
Re: Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets
bobby01

I see that here it says that it's a DIV 2 race but Friday I received the entry form and rules for this race and it has it listed as a lightning sprint race only. So which way is it?
The only reason that i'm saying anything is that there was a big discussion about changing the rules in mid stream like at the Shootout.

3 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD, oldfan49
1/12/15, 10:08 AM   #4
DAD

Bobby

I just got my rules and entry form in the mail Saturday and you are right, not a mention of Sportsman Midgets.

I have been in contact with Jay and Steve Nace's assistant they says any stock block UN-modidied head Echotec , Focus or USAC Honda or Kenyon Midgets are welcome to race at the DuQuoin race.

Steve Nace the guy promoting the race is a hard guy to track down I am going to send him an email today and try to talk to him in person. Jay seems to think that using the term Midget in advertising the event may cause problems and step on toes. I for one do not know. I am sure that at the last race Steve agreed that it would be a good idea to include the Sportsman type Midgets in the show also.

We don't want a Tulsa type deal again. I suggested to Jay that the Midgets could run under the rules of the club they raced with, and that does not include Tulsa Shoot out rules, either the 2 rule version or the new improved 3 rule version. We would like to see the driver and car listed on the race results for that group last year.

Maybe we should adapt the Florida rule package My big concerns would be big bore big head motors and as far as I know no one can race that type motor in the Mid west. Montpelier??? maybe but I don't think any of their Sportsman Echotecs, Focus, Kenyon cars are out of spec?

Any Ideas??

This race is meant to help Midget car racing in the mid west if any of you Midget guys planing to attend have a question do it on IOW then we have a "Paper trail".

I will probably be the tec guy but would welcome tec's from other groups also.

Honest Dad himself

1/12/15, 12:25 PM   #5
Avon Open Wheel fan

[QUOTE=bobby01;402709]I see that here it says that it's a DIV 2 race but Friday I received the entry form and rules for this race and it has it listed as a lightning sprint race only. So which way is it?
The only reason that i'm saying anything is that there was a big discussion about changing the rules in mid stream like at the Shootout.[/QUOTE\
\

Even though the flyer does not mention Division 2 midgets they are welcome to race this event. I know the flyer is confusing and I have tried to talk Steve into changing it but he is not going to do that. Steve did tell me to make sure that everyone does know that the Division 2 type midgets are welcome to race this event.

Like Bill (DAD) mentions below if you go with either the rules in your organization or the Florida rules you will be fine.

www.illinimidgets.com

1/12/15, 1:56 PM   #6
DAD

With Badger adopting a stock block rule I think perhaps these things might be coming around. Just as we are allowing the big block guys (if 2.4 liters is Big). I do hope they make room for the chain drive cars also. Competition will take care of what people will eventually decide to race. If I get my butt beat by a stock block Echotec I would probably be thinking about switching over and vice versa. I Think these cars are so close together right now that they should race very competitively with one another and isn't that what we are all really looking for?

Honest Dad himself

4 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, bigq11, jjones752, Wayne Davis
1/12/15, 5:21 PM   #7
Avon Open Wheel fan

Just was informed I left off the AMSA Lightning Sprints who will also have drivers attending this event.

This is the updated list of the different series that will have drivers at this race.

BAM, Engler IMRA, Kenyon and USAC Honda Regional Developmental midget series.

MMSA, ILLS, WIMS and AMSA lightning Sprint Series.

If I left any other series off please let me know?

www.illinimidgets.com

1/15/15, 1:16 PM   #8
Avon Open Wheel fan

I also need to get the word out to everyone if you have raceceivers to please bring them to the race. It is not mandatory but it would help keep the races moving if we can have most of the cars using them.

www.illinimidgets.com

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/15/15, 4:35 PM   #9
DAD

Jay and racers who plan to race at DuQuoin Center on the 7th of Feb.

I envision this race as an invitational race. It is billed as Lightning Sprint (I Hate that Name) Race.
We are also inviting any and all Midget sized stock production blocks Midget race cars to race with us also.

The rules for the Motorcycle powered car will remain as Steve wrote them.

To keep things simple to tec and to understand the following rules will apply to the Midget shaft drive cars.

1. Frame must meet minimum requirements for the race.
2. The tire wheel rule shall be open to all competitors. 13" wheels only.
3. Minimum weight for shaft drive cars shall be 1100 pounds with car and driver at the completion of the race.
4. Motor inspection will require the removal of 4 spark plugs and air filters.
...a. With a bore scope we will inspect ports for ANY AND ALL signs machine work or grinding we will expect to see casting marks in the ports. Cars with plenum injection may be exempt if we can not view ports from the throttle body. Their Throttle bodies will be checked for stock configuration and size.
...b. Focus powered cars get a pass on this (porting is allowed).
...c. Kenyon Midgets will more or less be racing under the same rules as stock block shaft drive race cars.
...d. IRS racers will not have to race with restrictors designated by their club the USAC Honda racers will be expected to have the proper sized restrictor in place. (help me out here guys???) our intent is to keep it simple.
...e. The minimum weight for a 600cc powered upright Midget will be 800 pounds car and driver at the end of race.

If any of you guys with the IRS want to come down and race we will sure try and find some nice used (already been tested tires) for the back of your race cars free of charge. Just let us know, much better than throwing them out going down the road.

I did not include any type of purpose built race motors. I personally wish I could invite you guys down also, but just Echotecs and Focus will be a little distasteful to some racers. You have no idea just how bad some of these chain drive guys feel about drive shaft driven cars.

If you have any suggestions "IOW" is a great place to make them on, our rules are a little longer than Tulsa and I know some people will not like them, lets all get on the same page and get out and freeze our butts off and have some fun.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/16/15 at 6:46 PM.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, jjones752
1/15/15, 8:17 PM   #10
mud chassis

I was looking at bringing my 600 upright to this race, is 1100 pounds for my car weight too. just asking because I would have to add 250 pounds to make weight. I do not think a 600 will push that much weight to stay up with the other cars.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trophys for Duquoin D II Midgets