IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
wheelnut (Offline)
  #1 8/15/11 9:38 PM
Hello

I am looking for a stater system for a midgt.

I would prefer the type which attaches to the rearend rather than the motorplate.

But will look at all options

Any help appreciated

Paul
wheelnut (Offline)
  #2 8/27/11 9:34 PM
Ok lets try another angle

Does anybody here have any knowledge of starter systems for midgets??

Either engine plate mounted or rearend mounted??

Any info will be appreciated
gearguy (Offline)
  #3 8/28/11 5:26 PM
I had a system I intended to put in my vintage VW powered car. It was built & used in the Chicago area during that short period of time USAC mandated self starters. It had an alumium flywheel with a high torque starter motor and a multi-plate [3.5" diameter] clutch with hyraulic throw-out bearing. The car was too tight to fit it so I sold it to a Kiwi company which was considering designing something similar.

A couple of friends put Tilton systems in vintage cars. They are pricey units based upon the Silver Crown unit. Expect to part with $1500 or more.

I just saw a rear cover mounted unit today. The new owner searched long and far before finding it on E-Bay.

While I like self starters [we have one on our Buzzard-Focus] but wonder how well they would do on high compression motors. The Scream Focus system has been reliable but I am warned parts are hard to get, particularly the spline shaft that goes into the clutch. Also the bronze bushing for the crank.

That is all I know about midget starters.
wheelnut (Offline)
  #4 8/29/11 5:26 AM
Thanks gearguy. Its for a vintage midget application. We run a little less compression and dont tell anyone but but even a little less on the cam as well to make it more driver friendly as we arent trying to win the next feature race!!!
TQ29m (Offline)
  #5 8/29/11 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by wheelnut:
Hello

I am looking for a stater system for a midgt.

I would prefer the type which attaches to the rearend rather than the motorplate.

But will look at all options

Any help appreciated

Paul
Paul, I built a few, rear end mounted starters, just so you could start the engine, and not have to put the car all together to do so. I didn't have any luck selling them in the surrounding area, so I ended up, putting them on ebay, and they all went to Aus or NZ. I think I still have a parts list, and maybe a drawing or 2. Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
bart (Offline)
  #6 8/29/11 1:46 PM
What engine-rear end combination are you using?

I put a starter on my V8-60.

Bart
wheelnut (Offline)
  #7 9/2/11 6:58 PM
Chevy II / halibrand