IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why wings for 305 class?
10/13/14, 2:19 PM   #1
Why wings for 305 class?
Racer12

This is not to bash wings, just a question. Why choose to run the 305's with wings? Let's say a set of wings costs roughly $1,000. Now you have to have two sets because you can get involved in a crash and not tear up much more than the wing. So now it's $2,000 for wings, because the guys pitted next to you will have them. So if you run for points gotta have it! Then there is the cost to replace/repair said wings. Now lets factor in that a 5'x5' top wing produces roughly 2,000 lbs of down force at 100mph. Now you must pull all that force around the track with your little 'ol 305ci engine. So instead of getting maybe 30-40 shows between rebuilds it's now 15-20. Plus add in that on those 15-20 race rebuilds more componets are wore out therefore more hard earned money is spent to make it fast again. Am I the only one who has though of this? This is Indiana and fans are more fond of Sprint cars vs. winged Sprint cars. Now also consider that wing cars need a relatively smooth surface to compete on to put on good racing for the paying fans. So which class must comprimise on track condidtions? The Sprint cars race on slick and smooth track or the Wings run on somewhat rough and tacky track?

Bob

10/13/14, 2:31 PM   #2
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

I think they did it for safety concerns. Also, many 305 teams had been buying used 410/360 wings here in the east. Your downforce calcs are probably off because I don't believe they can run more than a 10-degree pitch.

10/13/14, 2:43 PM   #3
Re: Why wings for 305 class?
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
This is not to bash wings, just a question. Why choose to run the 305's with wings? Let's say a set of wings costs roughly $1,000. Now you have to have two sets because you can get involved in a crash and not tear up much more than the wing. So now it's $2,000 for wings, because the guys pitted next to you will have them. So if you run for points gotta have it! Then there is the cost to replace/repair said wings. Now lets factor in that a 5'x5' top wing produces roughly 2,000 lbs of down force at 100mph. Now you must pull all that force around the track with your little 'ol 305ci engine. So instead of getting maybe 30-40 shows between rebuilds it's now 15-20. Plus add in that on those 15-20 race rebuilds more componets are wore out therefore more hard earned money is spent to make it fast again. Am I the only one who has though of this? This is Indiana and fans are more fond of Sprint cars vs. winged Sprint cars. Now also consider that wing cars need a relatively smooth surface to compete on to put on good racing for the paying fans. So which class must comprimise on track condidtions? The Sprint cars race on slick and smooth track or the Wings run on somewhat rough and tacky track?

Bob
Racer

I think safety is a big factor in favor of wings. I have always called them my crush proof box. I would like to see someone design a box that would mount to the top of a wingless car to do the same thing.

The other reason I can see is rookie drivers, in wings it is the sideboards more so than the air foil that help these drivers out, we call it leaning on the sideboards. Heck a winged 305 could be just as fast with no attack angle in the wing.

Brand Identity, They wings will help fans identify the 305 class from the premier 410 CI class, and with the aid of the wings will get their speeds up close to that of the 410s.

The interesting thing to do would be clock the 305s time between the turns (1 and 2 or 3 and 4 ) and then clock the 410s time spent in the turns, thereby hangs the tail.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: KKinser99
10/13/14, 2:46 PM   #4
Racer12

It's not supposed to be safe! If it was safe everyone would do it. I'm talking dollars and sense. Missing my point, you can run 410 Sprint cars for the same cost as these 305's. why mot choose the cheaper version of the 305's?

Bob

5 members like this post: dshort36, FishBurger, jim goerge, kcarm92, spicoli
10/13/14, 3:34 PM   #5
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I brought it up twice.
The 2nd time , I learned my lesson.

10/13/14, 3:39 PM   #6
Kellen Conover

I really feel that if they are going to do it, there has to be a distinguishing factor between the 305's and the 410' for casual fans sake. It just doesn't make sense to have two classes of cars that look identical running the same night. Something to think about though for anyone interested in running a 305 though would be to try and talk to another track that didn't run on a fri night to set up a non wing class so you could perhaps get more use out of a car. Maybe paragon would start a class just for that etc.

5 members like this post: bn kleen, DAD, Jonr, KKinser99, Leohr46
10/13/14, 3:49 PM   #7
treecitytornado

Paragon wouldn't because you can just take your wing off and run your 305 with the rest of the field.

10/13/14, 3:51 PM   #8
Kellen Conover

I get that JT, was just trying to make an example.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
10/13/14, 4:11 PM   #9
Racer12

Are you serious? So lets add $2,000 worth of aluminum so that the fans can tell the difference? That is the job of the announcers. Do some research and look up how many tracks run 2 or EVEN 3 classes of winged Sprint cars weekly. Still waiting for a logical reason why choose wings smack dab in the middle of wingless land. It makes absolutely no sense to me to do this.

Bob

3 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge, mscs20
10/13/14, 4:15 PM   #10
Re: Why wings for 305 class?
Bill May

Any 305 Drivers/owners wanting to run non wing could just go to Paragon anyway,
Every car runs a feature and if you are not in the top 5 you are basically, running for the same payout, When Waynesfield started running non winged sprints several of their regulars were 305's, some of which run up front, ask Doug Heck, who runs Paragon weekly, about the performance of 305's, I believe he started in one he had in an ex Kevin Huntley roller.

You people with no 305 experience/exposure will be surprised at the performance of these cars.

Bill May

3 members like this post: DAD, fish, KKinser99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why wings for 305 class?