IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?
12/20/20, 3:18 PM   #1
For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?
Jonr

So, there has been many threads about should we or should we not be attending races with the COVID virus. This thread is not to repeat any of those old topics. Instead, it is for people like me who drastically limited my races last year and would only attend a race where I knew I could feel socially distanced. For us, when do you plan on attending the races again? Is it when you get the vaccine? Is it when the state(s) remove any limitations on outdoor events? Only, when the CDC announces it safe?

Every year, I will spend countless hours in the off season creating a potential race calendar. I create mine base on series that are close to my house. It is only a potential calendar, because I know full well that I am not attending all of the races. However, now that I am half way done, I wonder if I will attend any of them.

12/20/20, 3:56 PM   #2
openwheelfan1

I truly wish I knew the answer to your question. Like you, we restricted our races in 2020, attending less than 50% of the races we usually would have in 2020. We are older, both over 65 and my wife is classified as an “at risk” person due to some immune system issues, so we are trying to be cautious. I seriously doubt that we will see an opportunity to be vaccinated (assuming we decide to take it) until late in 2021.

We have been going to Volusia and then Ocala for the last 7 years, and we are really struggling with whether we will go this year or not. Usually we make out plans for ISW the day after the schedule comes out, but we are holding off this year. I guess we are going to play it month by month, or even week by week.

Not an answer to your question, just wanted you to know you are not alone in struggling with what to do.

12/20/20, 3:56 PM   #3
Re: For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?
sp6967

i don't put much faith in anything the government advises, i plan on attending when the gates open.

12/20/20, 4:38 PM   #4
Stevensville Mike

Thanks for asking Jon. I hit the brakes early on this year. We were down in St. Pete for the IndyCar opener when the state, country, and world for that matter started shutting down. I did not attend one event all year at the tracks. Prior to we DID however go to flagboy55's place and watch the Chili Bowl which was a great offering by him and his.

We just recently lost a friend to the virus. I mean like..... 10:00 this morning. The first person we know who passed from this. I am going to play it by ear for I still have tickets for the 2021 St. Pete GP, but going all the way down to Florida for a vacation amongst this issue, to take full advantage of my $300 already spent for 2020...... That is a huge throw for saving 300 beans. I am hoping Green Savoree will front me tickets to Mid-Ohio on Independence Day. Either way, Florida in March looks like a stretch - race or not.

I will say, though, come mid-Summer, I will make a conservative and protected move to start hitting a local track here or there. This all depends on how this vaccine works out. The U.K. is already seeing a new strain of this killer and is locking down for the holidays. Are we over? Is the vaccine the magic bullet?

Ear to the ground I will have. Thanks for asking.

6 members like this post: EBookerFan, fish, flagboy55, ISF, jim goerge, tirespinner
12/20/20, 4:41 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I attended all but two at the Burg last year, went to LPS and Atomic once each. And Florence twice Only time I was worried was Burg Midget week. Even at Half capacity that was a lot of people. Sat on Hillside in lawn chair at LPS and turn four at Atomic.

Never felt worried. Also just doesn't spread in warm outdoor environments unless your sitting or standing for a long time right next to each other,

Hopefully by May most will be inoculated and for certain the high risk groups.

Open em up. I'll go and be in control of my own safety.
Chuck
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/20/20 at 5:04 PM.

12/20/20, 4:55 PM   #6
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

I was at the races the first chance I got thins year which was the USAC Sprint Car show at 34 Raceway in Iowa in late June. Usually my 1st race is the Indiana Icebreaker at Brownstown in mid March. I ended up making it to 30 races in 2020. My normal is around 45-55. I plan on trying to get to as many races as possible again in 2021.

2020 season (30 races at 13 tracks. 4 new tracks)
34 Raceway (IA) - 1. New Track
Boone (IA) Speedway - 1. New Track
Brownstown (IN) Speedway - 1
Fairbury (IL) American Legion Speedway - 5
Gas City (IN) I-69 Speedway - 1
Grundy County (IL) Speedway - 1
Kankakee County (IL) Speedway - 4
Kokomo (IN) Speedway - 6
LaSalle (IL) Speedway - 1
Peoria (IL) Speedway - 1. New Track
Plymouth (IN) Speedway - 3
Shadyhill Speedway (IN) - 4
Wilmot (WI) Raceway - 1. New Track

This Covid-19 crap sucks and needs to go away; but that could be a while since folks are starting to have adverse reactions to the vaccine.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, tirespinner, TNRustler
12/20/20, 4:55 PM   #7
revjimk

I'm waiting for the vaccine...

4 members like this post: captrat, erich45, jim goerge, tirespinner
12/20/20, 5:37 PM   #8
i love dirt track racing

Our racing family will be in
the house for the Florida racing events. Be safe and be careful. God bless America. Thanks.

12/20/20, 6:19 PM   #9
cornerthree

I went to every event I wanted to. Midget week was the only time it was crowded. I live in Northern WI and travel a lot with a close group of friends. First show after the covid hit was Scootland county Missouir, stood in the infield with maybe 10 others. Made trips to Iowa was always easy to find a spot not crowded. Went to Vegas South Texas Tri County Springfield and a few other this fall. If you want to social disance it's really easy at most tracks. I am retired and already have plans for AZ,TX,NE and IN. Get out in the fresh air and support your local track. I am not in a hurry to get the vacine.

12/20/20, 6:52 PM   #10
1021gpa

If it happens will be in florida for sprints and midgets

2 members like this post: tirespinner, Will Shunk
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?