Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > As I walk away
11/30/20, 10:01 AM   #1
As I walk away
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

AS I WALK AWAY

The rest of the story........
As of now I have been involved in some sort of racing since I can remember. Whether it be as part of a crew, a driver, an owner, a promoter, a track or just a fan I have been at a track since 1956 when I was 1 year old, that’s a long life time of one thing. I have sold out, quit, drove for others, but one thing was always constant.... “The Love I Have For The Sport.”

As I enter into 64+ years I have to look back and ask myself...”Was it worth it?” Well yes and no. LOVED and will always be a FAN FIRST! Driving, absolutely, watching 22 of 24 racers win in my cars, damn straight, seeing my son winning multiple championships (I never did as a driver), HELL YEAH! Win or lose I always felt I good cause I was only one of a few that got to do this thing call RACING.

I have met soooo many people that I can call a friend, along with a few that never got me. I have ALWAYS stride to treat everyone with dignity and respect even if we disagreed. I am as OLD SCHOOL as it gets and believes in.... so it be said, so it be written, so it be done.... in black and white. It comes a time in everyone’s life when you have to ask yourself..... To be continued....gotta go race now Fri. 11/27

TBC....Last night Sat. 11/28 was great racing. Got it all in before the rains came.

So as I was saying, it always comes the time when enough is enough. Enough of the long hard work that it takes to do this, enough of one thing that consumes your life, enough of the battles and huddles you have to fight and jump, enough of the bit'in and crying, enough of taking money off my own table to give to others and enough of being told that.... I need to do this or I need to do that.... when they have never been on this side of it (promoting). How much does one human being take? I would have to say that is up to the individual.

As I said 64+ years of one constant thing is a lot. With that said: I AM DONE!!

I could leave it right there but I need everyone to understand this is the ABSOLUTE hardest thing I have ever done in my life. As I walked through the field last night, shaking all my drivers hand for one last time (have always done that before every feature) chills and tears of sadness, over came me and made it so very tough to complete the walk.

I have walk away from two marriages because of racing. I have done everything but steal to keep this habit I have alive. I have been asked, “Why do you do it?” Everyone has their own reasons but for me, well it just became a way of life at a very early age for. To be successful at this or anything, it is ALL IN or it’s just a hobby. I never thought it as a hobby at any stage in my life; I thought of it as, the love of my life. I needed this, I had to have this an I was/am as passionate about it tonight as much as I have always been... I love this!! I will ALWAYS love this till I take my last breathe of air on this great beautiful planet called earth..... I wish nothing but the best for all the racers/sponsors/friends that have supported me through the years...with that...I say THANK YOU!!

Just like my two best friends that are gone now Robert Smith and Benjie Mills....

I DID IT MY WAY!!!! Wayne Davis

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Last edited by Wayne Davis; 12/2/20 at 5:29 PM. Reason: spelling

12/1/20, 1:12 AM   #2
Re: As I walk away
jim goerge

Wayne I hope you stay here on IOW, as I enjoy your comments. I also wish you the best.

12/1/20, 6:50 PM   #3
fish

Wayne, THANK YOU!

12/1/20, 6:53 PM   #4
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Thanks for your passion to support open wheel racing. Nice job over the years.

12/1/20, 10:22 PM   #5
flagboy55

God bless you Wayne! Enjoy retirement, d sounds like you deserve it!

6 members like this post: 55fan, davidm, fish, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, WinglessLovers
12/2/20, 10:29 PM   #6
55fan

Congratulations on getting past your addiction. Catch you on the relapse. God bless and many thanks.

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > As I walk away