IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track sizes?
3/8/21, 8:46 AM   #1
Track sizes?
oversteer10

Hello all,

I've been watching some of the racing at the southern Illinois centre and it's been pretty good.

I would like to know the real track size (pole line length)
It's advertised as 1/6 mile but looks a lot smaller to me?
I think it's awesome to watch but I was curious.

Millbridge also claimed 1/6 mile for their midget race late last year but again I couldn't work it out.

Seems to be these tiny tracks are producing great racing

3/8/21, 2:19 PM   #2
Re: Track sizes?
Eric Smith

As a rule, the only thing large tracks have to offer is speed and destruction. Small tracks make for better racing an overwhelming majority of the time. If you compile a list of tracks considered to regularly provide close, competitive racing (known as entertaining), how many .4 or bigger will make it?

2 members like this post: racefan20, sprintracer82
3/8/21, 4:03 PM   #3
oversteer10

I couldn't agree more.

It also gives the lower budget teams half a fighting chance.

I was just curious on how they measured the length.

Is 1/6th or 1/8th measured top or bottom or neither it's just a guesstimate

3/8/21, 7:56 PM   #4
ThrowbackRacingTeam

A lot of tracks just say whatever they want it to be. Sometimes you just have to decide for yourself. Btw I’ve seen a ton of great half mile races and prefer the big tracks especially for sprint cars.

3/9/21, 12:39 AM   #5
flagboy55

I could get long winded here but I won’t. Nothing against bullrings but to say big tracks only offer speed is blatantly false. Apparently you’ve never seen a midget race from the 4 Crown

3 members like this post: Bill Angel, oppweld, treecitytornado
3/9/21, 3:31 AM   #6
treecitytornado

Flagboy55 or the 2018 4-Crown Champ Dirt Car Race!! Fantastic!! I've watched & Raced on dirt & pavement, Big Tracks & Bullrings. From a Driver's perspective; I love Haubstadt & Bloomington the most, but Eldora is my favorite big track as a Driver & as a Fan! 😁

3/9/21, 10:05 AM   #7
Re: Track sizes?
ISF

I'm not sure if it's possible for any track of any size to host a better and more exciting race than the 2018 Bettenhausen Memorial at Springfield. For the record Springfield is a MILE long! The 2019 Four Crown midget race at Eldora was one of the 2 or 3 best A-mains we've ever seen and Eldora ain't no bullring.

Absolutely the little bullrings have their place and provide highly entertaining competition but to write off all tracks .4 mile and bigger is a bit short sighted.

1 member likes this post: tamati
3/9/21, 11:26 AM   #8
SpfldMile

For me, a 3/8 or 1/2 is the best for sprint cars. Miles are best for champ cars. I’ve seen fantastic midget shows in everything, including the miles. They can put on great races on really small tracks too. Macon, Belleville, Tulsa, Wayne County, to name a few. There is a threshold, though. That race in the Pacers arena a couple years ago was not good. Too small.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track sizes?