IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should real names be required to be displayed in posts here on IOW???
Yes 82 58.99%
No 57 41.01%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Real names??? Should they be required in all posts??
8/10/08, 9:35 PM   #21
Re: Real names??? Should they be required in all posts??
Bubba Smith

I think we should all sign our real names and social secruity #'s as well. I think alot of you alls are big babies. :applaud:

Bubba Smith
327-98-6473

8/10/08, 9:38 PM   #22
cecil98

I think it's a dumb idea. Those who want to identify themselves, let them. Those who don't, let them remain anonymous. I don't think anything is broke on this site except for the frequent shut downs. If someone violates policy, simply delete their post/thread. That's all that needs to be done.

Craig Stevens

8/10/08, 9:39 PM   #23
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Smith View Post
[SIZE="4"]
I think we should all sign our real names and social secruity #'s as well. I think alot of you alls are big babies. :applaud:
Tony Barhorst, is that you??? :confused:

8/10/08, 9:57 PM   #24
hoosier

Bill,
I think that's a wonderful idea! I know everybody has an opinion and if you have an opinion you shouldn't be affraid to voice it but at the same time don't be affraid to sign your name to it. It's pretty cowardly to me when people knock others but won't sign their name to it. I think the board might be a little more positive if it's enforced
Crystal Pottorff

8/10/08, 10:08 PM   #25
Hurryinhoosier

Im a member over at NitroMater.com and they do it by real names. It got to be like 4m.net and everyone talking crap and loggin in with muliple users and they stopped it in a hurry.

Real name for login, verified email account, and you had to log into paypal and donate 1 dollar to be a member and that money i believe was donated to DRAW.

We could do that here and maybe pool the money for hardtimes for members...The Biro family comes to mind.

Im game.

8/10/08, 10:12 PM   #26
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

I agree with D.O.'s idea.

8/10/08, 11:15 PM   #27
SpfldMile

I voted no. I don't really see any reason to. Is someone going to hunt you down and take away your birthday. I don't sign my name because I would rather not. Nobody knows me on here anyway. I'm not on here to rattle anyone's cage , I have more of a life than that.

8/10/08, 11:33 PM   #28
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Already sign mine, as for a # of some sort like someone else mentioned,absolutely not.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

8/10/08, 11:50 PM   #29
Rex W.

DO has the right idea. Over at http://www.nitromater.com/staging-lanes/ they were having problems with people bashing the NHRA car owners & drivers that were members so...They made it to where u donated $1 to the site thru paypal & then they had your real name & thats how u logged in with your real name. Now it did run off a few people ( good & bad) but it did fix the problem. You could also just do it like Monty does at http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/ & make it to where ANYTHING goes lol

CAUTION those are both DRAG RACING message boards :wink

8/10/08, 11:58 PM   #30
Slick

Boy did I see this one coming from beyond the catch fence.

Bill -

The quick answer is, NO. Here’s a few reasons why I say that based on my personal opinion only.

1.) What you have in IOW.com is NOT broken, so I’d see no reason to renovate the rules already set in place.

2.) What your forum members have in IOW.com is a great place to vent, and most post rather intelligently, topic aside.

3.) Some in the industry view IOW.com because it’s “true grit” honesty from a few of the posters. The industry side of the sport needs this “true grit” honesty. Anonymity helps this cause. If one thinks of the past Silver Crown Car threads, as well as the TripleXXX chassis threads, you’ll follow my input on this. Worded another way, guys like Chris Paulsen and Robin Miller have their own “outlet platform” to be heard via print and TV. Thus I see no reason why others shouldn’t have their own outlet platform to be heard via IOW.com. Simple put, I’d rather hear both sides of a story, and then make my own intelligent decision on whom I deem to be truthful.

4.) If one is forced to ‘use real names‘ - some knowledgeable people the sprint car community are intimidated to voice their opinion, publicly, do to the repercussions they might receive. Ambiguity gives them an outlet to voice their opinion, publicly, without the repercussions. This is good feedback for everyone involved. Some might not like the feedback, but it’s still good that the lines of communications are ‘open’ and being heard. Or read in this case.

5.) Guys like myself might only post occasionally. And as long as an occasional poster is posting with 100% honesty and integrity, and validating what they say, no one on the forum should have a problem or be offended. And if they do, politely ‘calling them out’ would be in order. I’d say most here can tell if someone is being honest and has integrity when reading another’s posting. Bantering just for banterings’ sake, without validity to your point, is easily controllable via moderators.

6.) Anonymity via forum boards of any kind, is, a good place for people to learn how to do things better, or right.

7.) Would the ‘Real Name’ requirement keep some from posting? Probably so. And in my opinion, restricting one from posting is bad for the sport. In order for the sport to continue to grow and continue to develop, feedback is necessary. Positive or Negative, it’s necessary. Anonymity helps this cause. As it stands right now, you have good feedback on IOW.com.

8.) Never say anything in anonymity that you wouldn’t say to the persons face.

Just my .02

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Real names??? Should they be required in all posts??