IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should real names be required to be displayed in posts here on IOW???
Yes 82 58.99%
No 57 41.01%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Real names??? Should they be required in all posts??
8/10/08, 6:56 PM   #11
Re: Real names??? Should they be required in all posts??
bgbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
Have to join with a card # like paypal.

:dologob:
I agree

8/10/08, 7:00 PM   #12
SteveCollopy

Honestly, there are so many people on this forum quick to attack if your opinion differs from theirs, that I believe you would knock out 75% of the posters. I don't have strong opinions, so I don't mind using my name, but I know better than to post an opinion that may differ from some of the die-hards on this board. I would be belittled if I posted an inaccurate statement, and heaven forbid if I ever posted anything postive about a wing show! Let people that want to post aynomonously post. If you choose to use your real name, more power to you! I would just hate to see people leave this board because their opinion wasn't with the majority. Also if they voiced their opinion and then would be hesitant to attend the races wary of backlash!
Food for thought!
Steve

8/10/08, 7:22 PM   #13
Mark Sr

My real name is on here.. got nuthing to hide.......

8/10/08, 7:30 PM   #14
Joe Kidd

It don't matter to me. Most know who I am anyway.

8/10/08, 7:55 PM   #15
Blackduce

Sigh your real name gives this board credibility.

Lynn

8/10/08, 8:14 PM   #16
dirtywhiteboy

:kookoo

You can get my name when you pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Okay maybe a little over the top.

If I want to know a name, I will PM someone to find it out. It's not that big of a deal. Those who know who I am, are those I want to know who I am. I have nothing to hide but this required name with post stuff is getting old. You can tell who the people who have credibility by the content of their posts.

8/10/08, 8:30 PM   #17
SteveCollopy

I could not agree more with dirtywhiteboy. Let the posts decide credibility, not the names! I guarantee there are posters on here that have racing related positions (jobs) or family names that may not have the most popular opinions that do not want those opinions to effect their work or home life!
Steve

8/10/08, 9:09 PM   #18
FishBurger

I have no qualms about revealing my name here.

Sincerely,

Al Bundy

8/10/08, 9:16 PM   #19
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCollopy View Post
I guarantee there are posters on here that have racing related positions (jobs) or family names that may not have the most popular opinions that do not want those opinions to effect their work or home life!
Steve
I have a couple of positions at Pittsfield Speedway, but I have no problem with folks knowing who I am. Heck, I'd love for folks to come over on I-72 after the Springfield Silver Crown race next Saturday for our POWRi race. I'll be in the tower announcing the support class races. (And I'll definitely be the weak link of the annoucing team, as Jim Childers is one of the best in the business.)

However, if folks want to remain anonymous, that should be their perogative. So I voted "No."

--Brandon Paul
Pittsfield Speedway scorer/announcer

8/10/08, 9:31 PM   #20
IowaGirl

While I understand the frustration with anonymous posters, I say no for two reasons :

1) Identity theft problems - you'd give any passerby access to a legal legitimate name and possibly enough identifying information (like city, state) to make a big mess for someone. At this point, anyone with internet access whereever in the world can read the board and glean information from it.

2) Safety - as a woman, I don't want just anyone to know who I am or where I am. And since any person can read the posts, if required to use my real name, I would not ever sign up for an ID, which is unfortunate as I have made several friends on here who do know my real name! I also don't know how you would verify whether an ID is real or not.

That said, I see no problem with the moderator having name, address, e-mail address or whatever as part of signing up for an I.D. as long as it is not public information on the board.

And if the board were private - that is, can't be read without logging in as a member, that would cut down on the identity theft issues to some degree.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Real names??? Should they be required in all posts??