IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
the1jet17 (Offline)
  #1 7/23/09 5:45 PM
I saw Steve brought up in another thread on here and it made me start thinking bout him. I know that many Wing drivers at some point have takin the Wings off and run Non Wing. Has Steve ever run non wing? Where did he race? Did he do any good? Thanks

JJ Hughes
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #2 7/23/09 5:52 PM
I saw him win at Eldora back in the 80's, at the 4-crowns. I believe it was in a dirt champ car, he may have won the sprint portion also. He can drive wingless, no problem.
BTW, you know I was joking in the other thread right?
David.
the1jet17 (Offline)
  #3 7/23/09 5:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister:
BTW, you know I was joking in the other thread right?
David.
Yea i do. Gotta laugh out of me. haha. Just being as young as i am i never heard of him running or doing well in a Non Wing Sprint Car. Thanks
dkdorkboy (Offline)
  #4 7/23/09 5:56 PM
He was very good.Won some early 4 crown features starting from the back.Won a CRA feature at Eldora in 1990,against some of the best in the country.McSpadden,Hewitt,Dave Blaney ,Haud,Shuman,Rip Williams,Terry Sheppard among others were in that field if I remember correctly.I sure other board members will chime in.
P&G Photo (Offline)
  #5 7/23/09 6:05 PM
I watched Steve Kinser win the very first Hulman Hundred on the Indy Mile in May of '81. He drove a Champ Dirt car #75 owned by Gary Stanton as I recall.
smith19 (Offline)
  #6 7/23/09 6:06 PM
he won at eldora driving for johnny vance from dayton, oh.
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #7 7/23/09 6:17 PM
When the WoO started, it was non-wing.
quickchange (Offline)
  #8 7/23/09 6:17 PM
He is the only driver to win the Knoxville National - both non-wing & winged.
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #9 7/23/09 6:17 PM
Originally Posted by the1jet17:
I saw Steve brought up in another thread on here and it made me start thinking bout him. I know that many Wing drivers at some point have takin the Wings off and run Non Wing. Has Steve ever run non wing? Where did he race? Did he do any good? Thanks

JJ Hughes
He started both NW and Wing as WOO's at startup was promotors choice. Karl wold not put him in the car till he turned 18 and a lot of drivers at the time did not get anything but their own ride till that age or older. I believe they ran paragon for half a season then hit the WoO trail

The last time I think he ran a Sprint NW was about the 92 (Correct me on year) CRA Midwest tour in which THE EARL of Eldora put up ten grand. Steve showed up among some ribbing he'd been taking, WON THE RACE and said "I PROVED to you I can win* now "IM DONE WITH IT" To my knowledge he hasn't since.

Quite honestly, Yeah there is some safety involved with the wings but if you ask, Like Haudenchild said this year at LBurg. "THERE ISN'T ENOUGH MONEY NON WING to make it worth it. But I love to run em" He used to run several CRA, Four Crowns and big events like Mopar Million and WON IT! Other Non wing staples are doing the wing thing because they make more for 7th in ASCS than they do for 3rd in USAC

Charles Nungester
quickchange (Offline)
  #10 7/23/09 6:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan:
When the WoO started, it was non-wing.
Actually it was both....ran some with wings & nonwings. It depended on where they was at in the country....and don't forget some WoO pavement races...(ok very little but hey! )