IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big E 4 Crown picks
9/18/17, 11:46 PM   #31
Re: Big E 4 Crown picks
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Back in the 80s-90s most of the Wing Guys raced at The Burg at some time or other so I knew most of em. I traveled all over to watch Winged racing. Fremont, Attica, Atomic, Limaland, Millstream and about every Eldora race they had. Made about ten straight kings royals and several HBO's Eldora anniversary. Sprintweek Id hit about two or three.

Like I said, I know all the guys who raced back then still racing and the guys from USAC that run em now. I just don't know many of the ones racing now. The winged crowd went to Fremont last week, I went to Montpillier and knew who about 40 of the 46 were and wished em all well. I was impressed by David Hair (Someone I don't get to see race much) He had a different chassis and steel block and was running up front.

Oh well. Back to the Picks. I guess I'll go with Rico. Fearless and if he hadn't rode the wall last year and had a flat,I think he'd of sealed the deal. I still enjoy the features when everyone is in dirty air after a couple laps

4 members like this post: flagboy55, GYATK94, Kydehart, motorhead748
9/19/17, 2:03 AM   #32
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Rico's website says he's running with the outlaws and allstars this weekend, we'll have to see if he adds the midget
I can't see him not running midgets. He won it last year & was winning Allstars until he spun out
Kunz seems to have plenty of cars, why wouldn't he put Rico in one?
Wish I could make it.....!!!

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart
9/19/17, 2:07 AM   #33
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Midget Holly Shelton
NW Sprint CJ Leary
ASCOC IDC WoO IDC
Champ Windom
Surprised to see 2 guys picking Holly. She looked terrific at Susquehanna this summer, fastest I've ever seen a woman drive, but she didn't win. It would be cool to see her do it.... has a woman ever won a Usac National race?

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kydehart
9/19/17, 2:24 AM   #34
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Surprised to see 2 guys picking Holly. She looked terrific at Susquehanna this summer, fastest I've ever seen a woman drive, but she didn't win. It would be cool to see her do it.... has a woman ever won a Usac National race?
She put on a show at lawrenceburg too. Seems to have really improved this season. And the Kkm team has a history of dominance at eldora. I can't answer your question about women winners but I think it would be awesome if she picked up her first win this weekend.
Last edited by Kydehart; 9/19/17 at 9:16 AM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55
9/19/17, 9:23 AM   #35
ossuks

Very entertaining banter .....

Everyone has "their" favorite type of track ! Most like Hammer Down big cushion short tracks. To me these type of tracks are usually narrow, it might be 60 feet wide but the fast line is narrow and does not allow for a lot of actual racing. To me the perfect track is one that is big enough to carry some speed but not Bellville hold your breath speed. More like Kokomo/ Granite City speed, with a slicked off bottom and a cushion up on the fence. A track that requires brawn and talent. WHICH brings me to Eldora....The Big E can be "hold your breath fast", which is not very often....But when I like Eldora is when there is about 2 foot of fluff against the wall, when they bang the RR off the 2nd turn wall, when slide jobs are the way to pass, to me that is Eldora!!! Bad Eldora is when the dust climbs up the fence and the fans can see!!

Wind direction plays a big part in how the dust effects the viewing. If you want a big deep wet cushion, do not go to Eldora, if you want to see speed and talent, 5 classes of cars, all at one venue deep in tradition, then "pack up the babies and grab the old lady and everyone goes" !!!

Sometimes me thinks people just like to *****, or are envious of wealth and fame (Tony Stewart)?

I like wings, midgets, sprints, even NASCAR trucks at Eldora, not a Lm dirt fan but do like some LM pavement....but not going to jump on those that do like the LM on dirt.

Midget: Boat
Sprint: Darland
Champcar: Grant
WOO DS
All Stars ?
Last edited by ossuks; 9/19/17 at 9:25 AM.

9/19/17, 10:54 AM   #36
motorhead748

^ I couldn't agree more. But I'll agree with chuck in saying the track is not what it used to be. But the overall experience at eldora from the caliber of cars, well run show, reasonable ticket prices, big purses and likely the best concession in racing adds up to a great night.
Edit: if eldora opened the concession mid winter with nothing on the track I'd make the 100 mile trip

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, Kydehart
9/19/17, 10:55 AM   #37
btg1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Didn't Sarah Fisher win at Winchester back in the day?

9/19/17, 11:25 AM   #38
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Holly was the first woman to podium in a USAC national event. She's done it at least twice this year and maybe more. She likes the bigger fast tracks. At Lawrenceburg it was all Bayston, Thorson and Rico could do to pass her. There were at least 28 lead swaps in those thirty laps and she fought off and took it back all but one time on lap 28 in which Rico got her and as she was recovering Thorson slid by too..

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart
9/19/17, 12:07 PM   #39
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Holly was the first woman to podium in a USAC national event. She's done it at least twice this year and maybe more. She likes the bigger fast tracks. At Lawrenceburg it was all Bayston, Thorson and Rico could do to pass her. There were at least 28 lead swaps in those thirty laps and she fought off and took it back all but one time on lap 28 in which Rico got her and as she was recovering Thorson slid by too..
Holly Shelton is one just three female drivers to record a top-five finish in a dirt USAC National Midget feature event. She’s joined by the late Jeri Rice and Sarah McCune as the only ones to accomplish the feat.

Tucson, Arizona’s Rice recorded a 5th place finish at Eagle (Neb.) Raceway on Aug. 2, 1988 and Perrysburg, Ohio’s Sarah McCune was a 5th place finisher at Tri-City Speedway in Granite City, Illinois on June 4, 2003.

Shelton has the best finishes of any female driver in a USAC National Midget feature – pavement or dirt – since Taylor Ferns from Shelby Township, Michigan took 5th on the pavement at Fountain, Colorado’s Pikes Peak International Raceway on June 29, 2013.

No female has ever won a USAC National Midget, National Sprint Car or Silver Crown feature. The best ever finish for a woman in a USAC National event was a 2nd, earned by McCune at a midget race at Winchester (Ind.) Speedway on Sept. 19, 1999.

Other top-fives earned by ladies throughout the history of USAC National Midget racing include Zionsville’s Bev Griffis, who finished 3rd at Winchester on April 7, 1991, and Westfield, Indiana’s Stephanie Mockler - the only other female driver besides McCune to score multiple top-fives in USAC National Midget competition – who took a 3rd at Indianapolis Raceway Park on May 27, 2006 and a 5th at Toledo (OH) Speedway on July 6, 2007.

9/19/17, 12:28 PM   #40
duel

I think it's just a lot to ask to run 4 major divisions in one night and end at a decent time of even midnight. That said I can't wait to get there for all the comradery and racing action. A little cushion left for the entire champ car feature would be nice.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, Simon_says17, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big E 4 Crown picks