IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shock Position (Midgets)
6/21/15, 10:54 PM   #1
Shock Position (Midgets)
xoxide

Is there a "performance related" reason everyone runs nitrogen shocks upside down? Ive been running mine upright both on the front and rear, but I notice nearly everyone runs them upside down.

I come from non-adjustable shocks on sprint cars where we ran them upright to keep moving weight to a minimum.... So I am a little curious if there is a reason to run the gas-filled shocks upside down or if its mainly to protect the shafts, etc. from rocks?

6/22/15, 6:30 AM   #2
Re: Shock Position (Midgets)
red70racer

I'm old so the reasoning might be different today, when we first started inverting shocks we were trying to reduce unsprung weight

Oops, I just read the rest of your post. (see I told you I was old) so I have nothing, however it raises my curiosity also
Last edited by red70racer; 6/22/15 at 6:32 AM. Reason: Mistake

6/22/15, 8:21 AM   #3
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I think what red's trying to say is that when we were kids, what you call "upside down" was "rightside up"...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 6/22/15 at 8:22 AM.

1 member likes this post: red70racer
6/22/15, 9:08 AM   #4
kstudley57

It's because the shock adjusters are on the eye that is attached to the shaft (opposite end of the nitrogen bulb). If you mounted them with the shock "right side up" it would leave your shock adjuster cable going up and down with the axle, instead of stationary if they are mounted "upside down."

6/22/15, 9:41 AM   #5
xoxide

Ok that makes sense! We aren't allowed to run in car adjusters so that isn't an issue. I was more concerned on whether they needed to be upside down for the nitrogen to function where it needed to beproperly, or anything like that.

6/22/15, 9:55 AM   #6
TQ29m

And a lot of guys just do it to make the numbers hard to read, I also do it to keep the unsprung weight down, if it makes that much difference, and as Studley says, with the adjuster cable being where it is, it do make a difference in how you mount them! Bob

6/22/15, 12:30 PM   #7
racerjim2

Your all too old to be worried about which way to mount your shocks. Rocking chairs don't have shocks.

6/22/15, 2:38 PM   #8
TQ29m

Jimmie, you got that right, but I can't help it, just wish I were up to it, I got enough tube here in the shop to build one more new car, but I don't know how long it would take, and I'm not sure if any of my Dr's would approve it, but what do they know, if I get my back, knee's and eyes, OK, my shoulders need some work too, but if that all magically comes together, I just might do it, NOT! Have a good day, Jim, maybe we'll see ya again someday! Bob

1 member likes this post: racerjim2
6/22/15, 4:27 PM   #9
racerjim2

I'll bring my rocking chair over and spend a day with ya Bob.

6/22/15, 4:47 PM   #10
TQ29m

Do that, I got plenty of shocks! We'll have a cold one, if you're buyin, my social security won't pay for my beer, but it'll pay for my wife's wine, how's that for rubbin it in? Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shock Position (Midgets)