IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who thinks it’s better?
7/17/23, 11:53 AM   #31
Re: Who thinks it’s better?
Midget98

The distance of the race is posted. If your car can't go 40 or 50 laps plus cautions without adding fuel, then you might want to put a bigger tail tank on it. Sprint cars should NEVER need a pit stop to run a full race (other than the Little 500), and definitely not a scheduled one.

6 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Dale, flagboy55, luckybuc97, racenut69, streetglider
7/17/23, 12:31 PM   #32
dsc1600

They were burning nearly a gallon per lap, that would necessitate a 40 gallon tank, which doesn’t seem terribly safe and is an added cost.

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, PIT CART
7/17/23, 1:12 PM   #33
flagboy55

You do realize the Kings Royal was scheduled to go 40 green laps? I don’t really want to hear about extra expense in the world of big time Sprint Car racing. With the luxuries of the million dollar haulers and that. And talk about added expense, the race’s had open red’s where you could change anything including tires at about $400 a pop. Carrying a larger cell to run once in a while doesn’t seem to be a terrible expense considering

7/17/23, 1:17 PM   #34
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
You do realize the Kings Royal was scheduled to go 40 green laps? I don’t really want to hear about extra expense in the world of big time Sprint Car racing. With the luxuries of the million dollar haulers and that. And talk about added expense, the race’s had open red’s where you could change anything including tires at about $400 a pop. Carrying a larger cell to run once in a while doesn’t seem to be a terrible expense considering
Mandate a larger fuel cell for this race and you will kill the car count.

The big teams may be able to afford it, the little guy will stay at home.

1 member likes this post: Ilovedirttrackracing
7/17/23, 1:36 PM   #35
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I'll let you members of the braintrust figure it out. As for me, I think the four or five day party has more to do with attendance than anything. Not going to get into it again but it's the reason I quit going, The few who couldn't handle brewed or distilled spirits.

Earl would have USAC Weds.
All Stars Thurs
Night Before Fri
And KR on Sat.
I've only been to Eldora once (4 Crown several years ago), & it seemed like there was a lot of drinking, more than I've seen anywhere else.
No big deal tho, I didn't see anyone get out of control

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing
7/17/23, 4:22 PM   #36
streetglider

Tell me exactly who the “small teams”were. They can run a 33 gal tank the entire year and not be giving up very little weight difference !! You are either new to the sport or very misinformed.

3 members like this post: Crankin, flagboy55, Midget98
7/17/23, 4:41 PM   #37
Frank Reiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
That would necessitate a 40 gallon tank, which doesn’t seem terribly safe and is an added cost.
In that case an immediate end must be put to Silver Crown racing; they carry 75 gallon tanks!!

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Midget98, streetglider
7/17/23, 5:05 PM   #38
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I'll let you members of the braintrust figure it out. As for me, I think the four or five day party has more to do with attendance than anything. Not going to get into it again but it's the reason I quit going, The few who couldn't handle brewed or distilled spirits.

Earl would have USAC Weds.
All Stars Thurs
Night Before Fri
And KR on Sat.
100% correct. This race has become an event or happening for many. I’d wager there were some that were there that never saw the first race car

3 members like this post: captrat, cowboyhar69, oldfan49
7/18/23, 9:22 AM   #39
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart#51 View Post
Yep, the break disrupted that race. Guys we’re starting to move at lap 20. Broke momentum and heat cycle in tires and fuel load burn off.

Give me 40 straight. The last 10 laps of a 40 lap per at Eldora changes things drastically. Historically, the leader at 30 doesn’t lead at 40.
This!
This is why I hate work areas. I kind of understood why they came to be the norm for various reasons, but now it’s “the norm” to just purposely stop on track so you can go get a snack/cig/adjustment???

On the original subject:
These tiny fuel tanks for weight saving is sanctioning bodies caving to the racers, for in the end, a silly weight savings…. With no thought put towards what the fan wants. Cause those 8lbs are the difference between winning, and finishing 14th 🙄…. Maybe make the driver out of titanium to make up the difference 😁
The larger tank is a simple solution, but will most likely never happen.

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, erich45, GlobalSpeedway Tours, mc/rider
7/18/23, 11:34 AM   #40
dsc1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Reiner View Post
In that case an immediate end must be put to Silver Crown racing; they carry 75 gallon tanks!!
But they’re also going about 75 mph so it works out

2 members like this post: mtek56, progressive22
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who thinks it’s better?