IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown Takeaways
8/29/21, 11:07 PM   #11
Re: Smackdown Takeaways
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
If people like this KOTH, great. We keep comparing it to the dashes we see with wings. Keep in mind, this is USAC, no wings. They actually pass in a short race unlike the wings.
If that was directed at me don't ever accuse me of comparing USAC with a wing show. I have raced and watched both styles most of my life and clearly know the difference. If you happened to watch the All-Stars tonight at BAPS the dashes were quite entertaining to watch with passing. Keep in mind this is the All-Star Circuit of Champions, they have wings.

I also like the bracket style KotH better than the style where the winner stays on the track and the next seed comes out to challenge. The first seed can only drop to second in that format.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, flagboy55, jonboat15, motorhead748
8/29/21, 11:15 PM   #12
openwheelfan1

[QUOTE=JarrettFarms73;543928]
Despite great efforts by a few over the years, imho, the city (businesses) of Kokomo still have no clue what’s going on out there. All of that out of county/ state/ country revenue potential and “Welcome Race Fans” sign outside of the usual places is hard to find. I’ve never been to the Knoxville Nationals but from what i hear, Knoxville shines bright for out of town race fans.

It is interesting you mention the comparison. We have attended the Knoxville Nationals for the last 9 years (except 2020, obviously) and that town and a few of the surrounding towns REALLY support it. I am sure there are some that hate it, but they seem to be few and far between, and seemingly every one in the area is aware of the event. There are welcome signs on marquis, the local American Legion has a pancake breakfast, etc.

HOWEVER, Knoxville is only about 7500 people, and having 20,000 people visit for a week is a big deal. By comparison, Kokomo is approx. 60,000 people, so an extra 3,000 or so people for 3 days is far less impactful.

We don’t camp, so we stayed in a local hotel and ate lunch for 3 days at local restaurants. Interestingly, the hotel staff, other than one maintenance man, had no idea there was a race occurring, although probably 50% of the patrons at breakfast had a racing t-shirt on. The only restaurant that knew about the Smackdown was the staff at Half Moon Brewing Co.

8/30/21, 1:36 AM   #13
Russ

The track ignores the local community and the local community pretty much ignores the track. It's been that way since the current owners took over. The track brought in a local ex-sprint car driver a couple years ago I guess in a minor attempt to bridge that gap. I really don't think they were sincere in their efforts. The ex-local driver was sincere but the track wasn't. Plus there are hardly any local racers any more. Why would you build a race car to race maybe 4 or 5 times per year at the track if that?

8/30/21, 7:50 AM   #14
motorhead748

[quote=openwheelfan1;543931]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
Despite great efforts by a few over the years, imho, the city (businesses) of Kokomo still have no clue what’s going on out there. All of that out of county/ state/ country revenue potential and “Welcome Race Fans” sign outside of the usual places is hard to find. I’ve never been to the Knoxville Nationals but from what i hear, Knoxville shines bright for out of town race fans.

It is interesting you mention the comparison. We have attended the Knoxville Nationals for the last 9 years (except 2020, obviously) and that town and a few of the surrounding towns REALLY support it. I am sure there are some that hate it, but they seem to be few and far between, and seemingly every one in the area is aware of the event. There are welcome signs on marquis, the local American Legion has a pancake breakfast, etc.

HOWEVER, Knoxville is only about 7500 people, and having 20,000 people visit for a week is a big deal. By comparison, Kokomo is approx. 60,000 people, so an extra 3,000 or so people for 3 days is far less impactful.

We don’t camp, so we stayed in a local hotel and ate lunch for 3 days at local restaurants. Interestingly, the hotel staff, other than one maintenance man, had no idea there was a race occurring, although probably 50% of the patrons at breakfast had a racing t-shirt on. The only restaurant that knew about the Smackdown was the staff at Half Moon Brewing Co.
Knoxville does it up the whole season. I’ve made the trip out for opening night and other shows along with the nationals.
Certainly not to the extent as the nationals but you know you’re in a race town

5 members like this post: Big Mike 7, flagboy55, jonboat15, openwheelfan1, tirespinner
8/30/21, 8:28 AM   #15
flagboy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
If that was directed at me don't ever accuse me of comparing USAC with a wing show. I have raced and watched both styles most of my life and clearly know the difference. If you happened to watch the All-Stars tonight at BAPS the dashes were quite entertaining to watch with passing. Keep in mind this is the All-Star Circuit of Champions, they have wings.

I also like the bracket style KotH better than the style where the winner stays on the track and the next seed comes out to challenge. The first seed can only drop to second in that format.
This was not pointed at you, just a general statement. And I did watch the Allstars and yes they were better than normal. Most wing heats and dashes aren’t much more than hotlaps, but occasionally there are exceptions

8/30/21, 9:21 AM   #16
jonboat15

I watched all of the races from the comfort of my man cave. The crowd seemed thin during the Darland race and I can understand why the place wasn't full due to the weather during those few days. I also was under the impression that Smack Down was a sell out type of event? I thought the track and crew did a great job for the circumstances they were given. The racing was good, I loved it. I visited the speedway four years ago for IMW, looks like its time for me to schedule a Smack Down visit, its about a 10-11 hour drive which isn't too bad. With the Dangerous temps was the track still not allowing outside beverages inside, even water? King of the Hill is okay, I like the bracket formula best for this type of event. This will be a bucket list race for me to attend.

3 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, rapid robert, tirespinner
8/30/21, 9:38 AM   #17
TQ29m

I've only been to Kokomo maybe a half dozen times. and that was to race, so I know little about the local feelings about the race track there, and I've not been to Knoxville, but I have an old friend who used to go religiously, so I take his word about the Nationals there, the stories he would tell would make you want to go, and at the same time, make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, it was open house, sprint cars everywhere, tuning on the streets, motels full, cars being built, or rebuilt, made me want to go so bad I could taste it, but never could get off work to go, now I'm 84, and don't ambulate to well, so I pick up what I can on the internet, but I know how it is to go somewhere to race, and there isn't much talk about it, maybe a motel or 2 that has some staying in rooms, but usually little is brought out to advertise what might be going on, and I've been out of state a lot also, I think that's what so important about getting it on the web, and news, people usually don't know about it until it's over, missed another chance, maybe life is so good, it isn't needed, I think it's a mistake by the community not to help themselves to more customers, especially now with the mess we're in. Just an old timers view!

3 members like this post: duel, PJ Wright, tirespinner
8/30/21, 10:04 AM   #18
tirespinner

We thought that although the driver intros are a tradition, given the circumstances of the long Saturday, they would have been better off skipping it, at least for this year. The drivers clearly were not in to it, at least those on the back stretch, and the crowd was pretty much the same. I also think do to Heat & long day Driver Intro’s should have been Skipped ( like after rain Midget week still stopped for heat race interviews just get the show over so people can get what They Paid for!!!)

6 members like this post: duel, Hubie48, PIT CART, racefan20, rick42, TQ29m
8/30/21, 10:56 AM   #19
duel

Made all four days. I know I will catch it from some but I wish they would have run Thursday late into the night instead of that scorcher Saturday afternoon. Or started earlier on Saturday. We almost stayed in our room to watch quals Saturday but came to our senses being 10 minutes away. No live feed can catch the experience of being there. Those 4 days always fly by for me. Great time and great racing. I will be back for #11 next year.

8/30/21, 10:59 AM   #20
Josh Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The track ignores the local community and the local community pretty much ignores the track. It's been that way since the current owners took over. The track brought in a local ex-sprint car driver a couple years ago I guess in a minor attempt to bridge that gap. I really don't think they were sincere in their efforts. The ex-local driver was sincere but the track wasn't. Plus there are hardly any local racers any more. Why would you build a race car to race maybe 4 or 5 times per year at the track if that?
Hey Russ, just wanted to clarify somethings. First of all the O’Connor’s have busted their butts to make the Kokomo Speedway one of the best track in the world! Yes, my wife and I help the speedway out because we live in Kokomo and I love the Kokomo Speedway. Here are a few things the Kokomo Speedway is involved with in our city to promote the track.

They are a member of the Kokomo Chamber of Commerce, which almost every business is involved with and all of these businesses work together to discuss events each other is having, so all of the hotels in town should know what’s going on at the track because they meet once a month.

They attend all of the events in Kokomo to promote the track such as, Jack Rabbits games, car shows, Haynes Apperson Festival and parade, and many more.

They advertise on all of the local radio stations and the track is also discussed on WWKI Mail Call program which is on Mon.-Fri. 9:30-1030. WWKI was also live at the track on Thursday night at the Smackdown.

They advertise in all of the local papers. Which are on their Calendar of events in the Perspective on Wednesday. Also in the calendar of events on Fridays of the Kokomo Tribune.

They are on all of the Social Media outlets, but Instagram.

Before COVID-19 we were in all of the local schools and colleges spreading the word snd even have discounts for students.

Believe me they are working very hard with the City of Kokomo and promote A LOT through the city!! Hope this clears up any confusion. Also if there are any suggestions for them to do better let me know or the ladies at the front, so we can better our program!

Thanks, Josh Spencer

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown Takeaways