IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > setting my chain tenion mini s
5/19/16, 5:35 PM   #11
Re: setting my chain tenion mini s
DAD

TQ

We have a FSC chassis so anything I said would not pertain to anybody else. Andy or Scott up at Hoosier Speed could probably help you the most as they took over for ERC when Allen passed away. I do not recall ERC's using a chain tensioner I think and it just may not be needed.

Honest Dad himself

I think I might remember a little one arm tensioner with a screen door spring.
Last edited by DAD; 5/19/16 at 5:40 PM.

5/19/16, 6:39 PM   #12
tqracer20n

Ok thank you I figured in the end this would be an easier way to get alot of people.with you having a different chassis I can understand it being different I appreciate looking and trying to help. It seems to be hard to get info at times on stuff so I'll just try ways till I come up with something lol.

5/19/16, 10:20 PM   #13
kendirt

I have an ERC. It came with the same style chain tensioner as shown in your picture. The mount for it is globbered on the frame so I don't know if it was added later or if the original tab broke off and was rewelded by a blind man. I took the tensioner off completely.

I set the car on the ground at ride height, rear axle squared, wheels/stagger you're going to run. Adjust the rear radius rods until there's a strong inch of deflection in the chain. Unhook the torsion arms and run it through bump/droop if you feel you need to to check for bind(the chain getting tight).

I was told to do it this way, right or wrong, but it made sense to me after years of working on motorcycles. I've ran the car three times this way with no chain related issues. YRMV

1 member likes this post: DAD
5/19/16, 11:04 PM   #14
Tom23

I've learned over the years of working with various chain cars that alignment is the most critical aspect. Also too loose is better than too tight if properly aligned.

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > setting my chain tenion mini s