IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
1/4/18, 7:37 PM   #11
Re: USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
staggerman

This should have been done long ago before the price of shocks skyrocketed back in the day. What you have when you leave the push off lane is what you have. That's the way it should be.

1/4/18, 7:55 PM   #12
TKRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
Not happy about mandatory FC seats, I've seen a lot of concussion injuries caused by the drivers head getting, "ping-pong'd" between the headrests, some weren't even in wrecks, just rough track....
Use the right padding. Have the headrest fit properly. Ive had concussions from my head being bounced around between a net and a bolt on headrest. Never had any issues with my FC ultrashield or Butlerbuilt. The padding Butler has been using the last 7 or 8 years is pretty nice.

1/4/18, 9:11 PM   #13
motorhead748

The money that's saved on the adjusters can now be spent on a crew chief that can nail the set up in the pits.

1/4/18, 9:18 PM   #14
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
The money that's saved on the adjusters can now be spent on a crew chief that can nail the set up in the pits.
Seems like that would be about experience & knowhow, which can't be bought... you think there are a bunch of setup experts sitting around waiting for a better offer?

1/4/18, 9:21 PM   #15
TKRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Seems like that would be about experience & knowhow, which can't be bought... you think there are a bunch of setup experts sitting around waiting for a better offer?
Experience and knowhow cost $$$
Im all for trying to cut cost as the cost is what drove myself and many others out of the sport, but racers always find somewhere else to spend money when it gets cut from another.

Like the old saying goes. "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

2 members like this post: motorhead748, sjracer26
1/5/18, 1:03 AM   #16
JohnnyWingo

That’s one way to save a very small amount of money in comparison. If cost savings is the goal why don’t we equalize the $10k engines to the $40k engines? Furthermore... I agree, trash the in car adjusters... get up on the wheel Sally.

6 members like this post: DirtyD, flagboy55, Jesse B, kcarm92, lukesmith, trannyman
1/5/18, 1:14 AM   #17
Nate

Billy Puterbaugh had an interesting take on Twitter as far as the no adjustments from the cockpit rule.

I'm summarizing here, but basically, if the crew and driver can't handle the track you've been given. You shouldn't be out there anyways. Which, in a way, I can see what he's saying.

As far as the full containment seat rule goes. 90% of drivers run them anyways and for the guys that say its dangerous and it may cause a concussion. I'd rather have a concussion than smack my head against the wall or what not and never wake up again. JMO

5 members like this post: DirtyD, interpreter66, jjones752, kcarm92, sjracer26
1/5/18, 2:49 AM   #18
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Ya wanna cut the cost and even the competition, Make your qualifying tire your all night tire and get rid of the brand and compound rules.

As for getting rid of the in car adjustments, Im for it, Just wish it was done about 12 years ago.

Note also that the other rules comply with Eldora rules and go into effect right before #Letsracetwo

1/5/18, 9:09 AM   #19
Ray3

Is this new rule for Sprint Cars only or does it include Midgets?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/5/18, 9:48 AM   #20
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKRacing View Post
Experience and knowhow cost $$$
Im all for trying to cut cost as the cost is what drove myself and many others out of the sport, but racers always find somewhere else to spend money when it gets cut from another.

Like the old saying goes. "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"
Yep speed costs money, nonwinged sprints were never or are they now supposed to be the fastest cars. They are however one of the best vehicles ever for outright racing entertainment.
Not so wide rear tires and a harder compound. There would be no need for 30-40 thousand dollar engines and it would reduce the cost of a sprintcar a lot. Of course the drivers would complain that they cant control the cars making it dangerous never thinking about having to slow the pace some.
Maybe usac should have a crate class as a starter class. Run a support class and the headliners. After so many wins in the support class you move up or move on.
There is a sealed 602 crate engine out of a sprintcar for sale up the road from here for $5000.00. Three nights, no damage, like new with headers, carb, oilpan ect. I'm guessing the heads off a 410 cost that much a piece.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters