IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
12/3/17, 6:21 PM   #21
Re: New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by btg1963 View Post
With tracks like Haubstadt and Kokomo running special shows only, other tracks HAVE TO PICK UP THE SLACK of driver development on a weekly basis. This includes the less expensive support classes.

While he is driving in a fendered professional series, you could argue that Don O'Neal is one of the top shoes to come out of Indiana. Had it not been for support classes at Paragon, Bloomington, and Brownstown, where would Don have learned his trade?

This goes back to a post from a couple of weeks ago regarding Kokomo. One of our posters mentioned an article from the Kokomo paper, which Brent said was a study he performed. The quote mentioned 80% of the fans were from outside of Kokomo... I believe this is attributed to the lack of support classes on a regular basis.
There was also a study I was part of in the 90's. No one thing is responsible. The cost to compete is so high I think it effects every class at every track. Historically when racing has thrived it has been because it was inexpensive to attend. It is not expensive compared to other entertainment, but it also is not cheap. If tracks raise ticket prices they know they will see less ticket buyers. Less butts in seats means less money from concessions. All the time insurance costs go up. It is a never ending cycle.
One thing that is going to be a problem for stock classes is, they aren't making 72 Chevelles anymore. When was the last time you could buy a rear wheel drive,carburated V8 on the showroom? This means very little stock parts on stock cars. That drives the cost up, and limits the people who can afford to race.
As for the study in the 90's, it was only about 70% local crowd then, so none of this has happened overnight for any one reason. Just my opinion.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
12/3/17, 6:22 PM   #22
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
Yeah your right keep running crappy local racing. What was i thinking?
We've got the best local track scene in the country. Despite the fact that whenever somebody is preparing to take a huge financial gamble and add another track (or revive one in this case) a lot of people come crawling out of the woodwork to tell them how they should spend their money. We should revere people like this and most race fans do.

FYI: The support classes are one of the things that have kept this whole thing alive. While the tin tops are not my cup of tea, either, I realize it's a necessity and is the price I pay to live in a state that has a racing scene that so many people travel to, to be a part of.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

12/3/17, 8:33 PM   #23
zerospeed

Sprint cars on Friday nights at Gas City? Yes please!

6 members like this post: brady, interpreter66, lukesmith, PIT CART, sc17x, speed bump
12/3/17, 8:46 PM   #24
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
This Rich guy has his eyes wide open and I'm seeing race tracks run too many classes thinking the back gate is a pot of gold. I'm also seeing 300 people bored to death watching it. please, stop me when I'm lying
I see this at my local track a lot of weekends.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dirteater
12/3/17, 9:51 PM   #25
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
There was also a study I was part of in the 90's. No one thing is responsible. The cost to compete is so high I think it effects every class at every track. Historically when racing has thrived it has been because it was inexpensive to attend. It is not expensive compared to other entertainment, but it also is not cheap. If tracks raise ticket prices they know they will see less ticket buyers. Less butts in seats means less money from concessions. All the time insurance costs go up. It is a never ending cycle.
One thing that is going to be a problem for stock classes is, they aren't making 72 Chevelles anymore. When was the last time you could buy a rear wheel drive,carburated V8 on the showroom? This means very little stock parts on stock cars. That drives the cost up, and limits the people who can afford to race.
As for the study in the 90's, it was only about 70% local crowd then, so none of this has happened overnight for any one reason. Just my opinion.
On a lighter note, me not being a promoter, or ever having been involved in running a track, Mr funk brings up a valid point with the absence of stock carbureted V8 rear wheel drive cars. But wouldn't it be nice if they still WERE making 72 chevelles? 👍🏻

12/4/17, 12:39 AM   #26
flagboy55

I get what Rich is saying and also understand the need for support classes. But here's the deal. I get tired of hearing about how great a show was put on by so and so support class. I'm sure there's good little league games, but are you going to watch if your niece or nephew isn't playing? Bottom line is nobody really wants to pay to see a mini stock race if they don't have a vested interest. That's why we need support classes, because it gives the locals tangible involvement and sells tickets, so we can see our beloved sprints or late models. Ultimately an efficiently run program, without too many classes serves everyone the best

12/4/17, 1:57 AM   #27
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Time for a little clarity. a sprint and midget only program could only be possible at Gas City. It's a perfect location and track size for this type of weekly show. Montpelier is close and gets a strong field of midgets. My original post said 20 sprints and 16 midgets could put on a good race program, these numbers are minimalistic you'd probably end up with 24 sprints and 20-ish midgets. that's 5 good heats and 2 damn good features. i realize USAC Midget Week is a completely different, but the 2017 race was UNREAL, just Sprints and Midgets. As for adding 3 support divisions to bring more fans i'm not convinced. yes, of course friends and family show up to watch but how many people get agitated by endless yellows and never go back? Clean open wheel program, fans in the pits afterwards, coolers in the stands. these are all things i see that could make Gas City a kick ass Friday night track.

Rich M

12/4/17, 6:38 AM   #28
BrentTFunk

Rich, the reason there has never been coolers in the stands at Gas City is the lack of room the way the bleachers are. Let things proceed before we point out everything we think is wrong.

12/4/17, 8:20 AM   #29
Blackduce

One thing to think about. Electric starters on 600 mini sprints, wing and non wing. Stock cars also. This moves the
show faster with them. Think how much time during the night to start sprint cars and midgets. Until they
are ready for heats and mains. And laps to warm engines. I think we would be shocked.

Lynn

2 members like this post: Melmo, Pat O'Connor Fan
12/4/17, 9:19 AM   #30
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post
One thing to think about. Electric starters on 600 mini sprints, wing and non wing. Stock cars also. This moves the
show faster with them. Think how much time during the night to start sprint cars and midgets. Until they
are ready for heats and mains. And laps to warm engines. I think we would be shocked.

Lynn
TSS averages about 1min 45 sec to push off their feature.

2 members like this post: captrat, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Promoter Coming to Gas City?