IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
12/2/17, 9:19 PM   #1
New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
OnTheGas61

Race Count This Year: 12
Race Count Last Year: 10

There are some rumblings in the area that a new promoter is in final negotiations with the track owner to bring back a full season of racing activities in 2018. It would be great to see more action at this little quarter-mile gem!

12/3/17, 8:34 AM   #2
Re: New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
BrentTFunk

Talked to his niece on Friday. Nothing has been worked out yet. If he does I hope he gets support, as the last 5 years of weekly shows, not 1 show didn't lose money. Even now he is getting a late start. It will be nice to have a Friday night show I can make after work.

12/3/17, 10:36 AM   #3
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Run sprints and midgets on Friday. 2 classes. Focus on the show, not the car count. Fans don't want to sit and watch junk. Let them bring coolers. If you had 20 sprints and 16 midgets every week that's enough for a good show, trust me. Hot lap at 7.30, race at 8. Take up the extra space with driver introductions on the front stretch before both features and cool victory lane celebrations. Also, the early quit time allows everyone to flood the pits after the races and get the kids in the cars for pictures and autographs.

12/3/17, 11:00 AM   #4
gastown

So, if we don't know the niece's name when do we get to know the Uncle's name? Seems like a preliminary announcement of a possible announcement. Don't get me the wrong way. I want Gas City to thrive and want to support the new Promoter as I have all the previous. I wish Gas City all the best and will support it every Friday. I hope.

3 members like this post: nathans1012, tirespinner, tj39
12/3/17, 11:08 AM   #5
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastown View Post
So, if we don't know the niece's name when do we get to know the Uncle's name? Seems like a preliminary announcement of a possible announcement. Don't get me the wrong way. I want Gas City to thrive and want to support the new Promoter as I have all the previous. I wish Gas City all the best and will support it every Friday. I hope.
I don't want to mention any names. If it works they will do it themselves. If not everyone will rip a guy, so might as well leave his name out of it.

12/3/17, 11:22 AM   #6
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
Run sprints and midgets on Friday. 2 classes. Focus on the show, not the car count. Fans don't want to sit and watch junk. Let them bring coolers. If you had 20 sprints and 16 midgets every week that's enough for a good show, trust me. Hot lap at 7.30, race at 8. Take up the extra space with driver introductions on the front stretch before both features and cool victory lane celebrations. Also, the early quit time allows everyone to flood the pits after the races and get the kids in the cars for pictures and autographs.
Rich - While I am a die hard sprint car guy I think you under estimate the need of fender support classes. Those support classes bring in a big percentage of local drivers, car owners and fans. Each street stock/Thunderstock/bomber team probably buys 4 pit passes and another 5-10 general admission tickets with friends and family and run for $300 to win and $50 to start. That makes it very profitably for the promotor to run these class. Plus majority of those teams and fans live within 30 miles of the track and support every show. Now I am not advocating 5 classes a night but nothing wrong with a fender class.

I hope it is true as would love to see Gas City back in the fold of routine racing whether it is weekly or bi-weekly.

12/3/17, 12:15 PM   #7
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
Rich - While I am a die hard sprint car guy I think you under estimate the need of fender support classes. Those support classes bring in a big percentage of local drivers, car owners and fans. Each street stock/Thunderstock/bomber team probably buys 4 pit passes and another 5-10 general admission tickets with friends and family and run for $300 to win and $50 to start. That makes it very profitably for the promotor to run these class. Plus majority of those teams and fans live within 30 miles of the track and support every show. Now I am not advocating 5 classes a night but nothing wrong with a fender class.

I hope it is true as would love to see Gas City back in the fold of routine racing whether it is weekly or bi-weekly.
Couldn't agree more and actually every time I have been there the fender cars were pretty entertaining.

4 members like this post: nathans1012, Russ, speed bump, tirespinner
12/3/17, 12:39 PM   #8
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

So go ahead and run 5 classes of stock cars/modified somewhere else. Gas City is perfect for my show.

12/3/17, 1:35 PM   #9
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
If you look back at the underlying cause of Gas City’s closure in the first place (why it is in the situation it is in), it was primarily due to a decrease in race team and fan support in the feeder classes. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the profitability of regular shows depend largely upon the support of those classes. The vast majority of your local fans and race teams are running in those classes, which tend to be stock cars. There are outstanding open wheel classes and weekly open wheel programs here in Indiana, but they wouldn’t be possible without the support of local racers in the feeder classes. Even Kokomo has some concern about the lack of local fans and race teams that attend their regular programs. They appear to be doing fine right now, but Gas City did also just prior to their struggles and eventual closure. Feel free to try your weekly open wheel only program, but the odds of it being profitable are not in your favor.

12/3/17, 2:01 PM   #10
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I don't want to mention any names. If it works they will do it themselves. If not everyone will rip a guy, so might as well leave his name out of it.
I would have to agree 100%

Jerry

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Promoter Coming to Gas City?