IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why not a Silver Crown race at Indy?
4/17/17, 6:55 AM   #11
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

The big crowd happens when the stars of Indy go to the short tracks. So Fernando Olonzo must also run the Silver Crown race at the Indy mile. Do you think that'll make a difference?

1 member likes this post: hhiester
4/17/17, 7:04 AM   #12
flagboy55

By Gold Crown do you mean the pavement car that was designed to run tracks bigger than a mile? If so, it's my opinion that the failed, extremely poorly thought out, experiment that was that morphodite vehicle, did more damage to the Silver Crown cars than anything else ever. Whoever came up with that idea should be permanently banned from motorsport! Trying to turn big cars into a Nascar support class was a terrible idea. Here's a fact that remains true, USAC racing, sprint, midgets, and crown, always have, and continues to produce the best racers in the world. Why anyone would want to try to change it is beyond me

2 members like this post: PIT CART, racer-x
4/17/17, 9:22 AM   #13
Re: Why not a Silver Crown race at Indy?

How about we let them race before the Indycars at Gateway? Little over a mile, but would be worth seeing!

4/17/17, 11:24 AM   #14
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
The big crowd happens when the stars of Indy go to the short tracks. So Fernando Olonzo must also run the Silver Crown race at the Indy mile. Do you think that'll make a difference?
As I recall, there were four, maybe 6 owners, that actually bought cars, I believe Carl Edwards and a couple other Nascar guys bought in, I think C&R built Cousin Carl's, not really something that caught on, big money to get something started, that probably would never have worked out anyway. JMHO! Bob

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
4/17/17, 12:35 PM   #15
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
By Gold Crown do you mean the pavement car that was designed to run tracks bigger than a mile? If so, it's my opinion that the failed, extremely poorly thought out, experiment that was that morphodite vehicle, did more damage to the Silver Crown cars than anything else ever. Whoever came up with that idea should be permanently banned from motorsport! Trying to turn big cars into a Nascar support class was a terrible idea. Here's a fact that remains true, USAC racing, sprint, midgets, and crown, always have, and continues to produce the best racers in the world. Why anyone would want to try to change it is beyond me
morphodite vehicle? I thought it looked pretty cool, but I understand your devotion and unlike some others recently, I won't try beat you over the head about it. I don't know the details, they were already a memory by the time I got interested in open wheel. I like silver crown, loved watching them on ESPN when Kenny Irwin, Smoke, and others that use to run them, especially liked the Ted Horn race. Much respect for the open wheel non-wing guys.
Attached Images
Toledo Speedway Gold Crown Shoot -2.jpg (576.5 KB, 122 views)

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
4/17/17, 1:47 PM   #16
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Ill forego Silver Crown at the speedway,just put Indy cars on a mile dirt

4 members like this post: billw, Charles Nungester, Speedwrench, tirespinner
4/17/17, 2:21 PM   #17
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Ill forego Silver Crown at the speedway,just put Indy cars on a mile dirt
https://youtu.be/sFfkyZ9mIwI

3 members like this post: cmakin, mc/rider, Wizard 05
4/17/17, 5:13 PM   #18
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Just my opinion but hell no unless you like to see people dying. A Chrome Moly Tubed car has no buisness on anything more than a 1.5 mile course and speeds under 150. Sorry, there is a reason the tech went to honeycomb and cars designed to shred and scrub off speed and impact force. A stiff tube does nothing but bend or break.

That being said, I used to be against Crown Cars at Burg but watching Moffatt hotlap and only being a tick off andretti in the sprinter. I would like to see it once.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, racer5c
4/18/17, 10:26 AM   #19
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

I say lets put the stars and cars of the 500 on the dirt at Eldora (like the you tube video) and give Smoke another special show..That I would pay to see.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, DAD
4/18/17, 11:28 AM   #20
Kart29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Just my opinion but hell no unless you like to see people dying. A Chrome Moly Tubed car has no buisness on anything more than a 1.5 mile course and speeds under 150. Sorry, there is a reason the tech went to honeycomb and cars designed to shred and scrub off speed and impact force. A stiff tube does nothing but bend or break.

That being said, I used to be against Crown Cars at Burg but watching Moffatt hotlap and only being a tick off andretti in the sprinter. I would like to see it once.
I understand your safety concerns.

On the other hand, They used to do it all the time back in the sixties and seventies. And wouldn't it be reasonable to add a honeycomb aluminum cockpit to an SC car? Maybe even a carbon fiber cell in an SC car. I don't think there's anything magic or especially expensive about making carbon fiber anymore.

Furthermore, stock cars are tube frame cars and they are running high speeds on big tracks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why not a Silver Crown race at Indy?