IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Too Fast
3/17/17, 2:33 PM   #11
cshuman

Every type of racecar is going WAY faster today, then in the 70's, 80's and 90's..

3/17/17, 3:25 PM   #12
cshuman

Putting lights on 2 or 3 of the 22 cars is not the answer either... in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt View Post
No one will ever forget BC.

USAC is attempting deal with the issue by going to the lighting system on the cars. Slowing cars or tracks down is not the answer.

3/17/17, 3:49 PM   #13
Re: Too Fast
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
Every type of racecar is going WAY faster today, then in the 70's, 80's and 90's..
So the racing is much better now than in the old 70's?

3/17/17, 3:49 PM   #14
sp6967

josh burton got killed at Bloomington, is that track too big?

3/17/17, 3:54 PM   #15
cshuman

No, that wasn't my point at all DAD

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, trannyman
3/17/17, 5:02 PM   #16
jdull99

Restrictors...smaller tire idea (already mentioned)...&/or mandated PSI minimums; are all simple low cost solutions not too many like to recognize...if the series has wings, what about standing them up at a certain fixed angle so they slow straightway speed??? Higher weight rules (NOT so that we are bolting on LBS of led, but maybe just not skimping in certain areas...thicker panels in lower the "cockpit" area, etc...)...nerf bar/bumper thickness/size rules...etc...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 3/17/17 at 5:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: Simon_says17
3/17/17, 5:14 PM   #17
wideopen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Less water make the track dry and slick. Make the right rear tire smaller and harder.
Making big/ fast race tracks slick to the fence doesn't make them safer and a lot of times creates more chance for cars to collect each other. The big issue many times is vision. Whether it is the sun during the day (way worse with dust), lighting at night, or banking/ blind spots that create a delayed reaction. Eldora, TH, Port Royal all suck during the day due to sun and if dusty are way worse. Good track lighting, a quick flag men and multiple officials on the radio make a big difference.

3/17/17, 8:48 PM   #18
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grader47 View Post
What should a racetrack do if when talking to different racing series trying to schedule events they tell you the drivers say it's too fast? Changing the track is not really viable
People have different opinions on what makes it dangerous, but if the DRIVERS say its too fast, that's worth listening to....

4 members like this post: fish, hairracer44, jim goerge, PIT CART
3/17/17, 10:49 PM   #19
percynz

Change the racing surface to a different type of dirt.

We've done it at Western Springs Speedway in Auckland, New Zealand. Midgets are half a second a lap slower on the new surface on a 1/4 mile.

3/17/17, 10:56 PM   #20
Rapid Rick

I asked Bobby Grim one time if he thought Langhorne was too dangerous. He simply stated that no track was too dangerous. He said that the throttle in these things works both ways. A guy can let off if he wants. I don't think Mr. Grim ever let off though.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Too Fast