IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth: UMP Modifieds added to WOO Sprint show. 5/13.
5/10/16, 11:49 PM   #51
Re: Plymouth: UMP Modifieds added to WOO Sprint show. 5/13.

I too am appalled at Plymouth Speedway’s itinerary for this weekend. You see, we at PDP racing have been keeping a big secret.

You see, with all this talk about D2 Midgets and stock block midgets, we decided it was time to bring back out our 1952 Studebaker Champion powered midget.

But due to USAC’s short sighted massive rule book, the car has been ruled illegal. Here is a few examples:

Rule: Cars must have a roll cage.

The car was built without a roll cage or even a roll bar. And even though I’ve been upside down once or twice (ok, maybe 10 or 20 times), the car never has. So obviously, the car is incapable of getting upside down. So no roll cage needed.

Rule: Cars must have working brakes.

We should definitely be able to bypass this one. The car has brakes, it just doesn’t have a brake pedal. It has a hand brake. I really don’t see the problem.

Rule: Cars must incorporate a five point safety harness.

Ok, the car doesn’t have a shoulder harness, but it does have a lap belt. And if it was good enough for our boys flying over Germany in WWII, it should be good enough for USAC. Again, I don’t see the problem.

Rule: Cars must run Hoosier tires.

This one really chaps me. The car has perfectly fine Firestone’s on the front and Montgomery Ward tires on the rear. They might be a little weather checked, but a little shoe polish on the side walls and they’ll be as good as new. If the track slicks off a bit, I’m sure they will propel me right to the front.

But if Hoosier or American Racer will give us free tires, we will sing their praises and tell everyone how great their tires are. I tried to call Montgomery Wards to offer them the same deal, but their phone must be disconnected.

But in addition to the rules changes, we demand a few changes in the schedule for the evening.

Since the more modern cars could possibly out motor the Studebaker, all other competitors must unplug one spark plug wire (The Kunz cars must unplug two). This will slow them down enough that they won’t rush past me at a high rate of speed and cause me to spin out. This will keep the show moving and shouldn’t upset the fans because there will be fewer caution flags.

We also demand that a caution flag be thrown at lap 15 of the midget feature. Then a 30 minute intermission must happen. Then the last 15 laps can be run.

You see, the Studebaker has a tendency to run a little hot. So a 30 minute intermission should allow it to cool down enough to finish. It is all about me, right?

Since I am a local hero, I’m sure Plymouth Speedway won’t have any problems giving into my demands. But just in case, let it be known that if my demands are not met, my minions and I will not only not attend, we will stage a protest outside the speedway. And to help defray the cost of the protest, we will be selling red trucker hats that will say, “Make Racing Great Again.” The hats will be for sale for $21.95. To help move the show along, I will only accept 20 and 50 dollar bills and no change will be given.

So unless I get a call from Levi Jones or a representative from Plymouth Speedway by noon on Friday, my wrath will be heard!

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

5/10/16, 11:55 PM   #52
Blueracer123

Haha Tom. Do not forget the rules stating the manditory fire suit and racing helmet. What is wrong with jeans, a t-shirt, and a letter helmet?

2 members like this post: DirtHawk92, tirespinner
5/11/16, 1:20 PM   #53
Midget 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post

But like Brent said, think about it for a second and you'll understand what makes them special
Don't understand. What are you saying?

5/11/16, 2:44 PM   #54
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget 89 View Post
Don't understand. What are you saying?

Charles Nungester
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/11/16 at 3:00 PM.

5/12/16, 2:01 AM   #55
flagboy55

Plymouth fan, just to clarify and not to get in any kind of argument, the racer I talked to was satisfied with his night, and I ran into a fan Monday who confirmed his opinion. Sorry that I seemed to offend you. But I don't need any references to pavement racing for track conditions. That said I'll use pavement to get there Friday night and hope they a decent track. Mr Funk, are you heading up that way?

5/13/16, 10:09 AM   #56
DonMoore10

To the midget owners/drivers that plan on participating in this event: I hope you realize that you are opening the door for every promoter to charge $40 for a pit pass.

5/13/16, 10:47 AM   #57
Blueracer123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
To the midget owners/drivers that plan on participating in this event: I hope you realize that you are opening the door for every promoter to charge $40 for a pit pass.
I have friends in Arizona that race. Their pit pass there is $35 for a regular show. Transponder rental is $25 a night. $40 for a woo pit pass is not unheard of. It is also cheap compared to other parts of the US.

5/13/16, 10:53 AM   #58
DonMoore10

Yeah... Great!!!! And all the midget people going there tonight are sending an invitation to every promoter to do the same. Yeah... let's dig a little deeper in their pockets, these people are not organized ( union).
Last edited by DonMoore10; 5/13/16 at 10:54 AM.

5/13/16, 11:34 AM   #59
on_the_hammer

You act like this is something new. Any time the outlaws are around the pit passes are higher. Midgets aren't the main attraction tonight and the pit price is set accordingly. Might work to stop ******** for once and go race your car and you might make an extra dollar to pay for the pit pass next. Until then save us all from your sob story

5/13/16, 11:38 AM   #60
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
I can not confirm for tonights show but I have been at other SLS Woo promoted shows and support classes are giving usually 3-4 discounted Pit Passes for each car in attendance. They do not openly publish that detail but I have seen it happen at several tracks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth: UMP Modifieds added to WOO Sprint show. 5/13.