IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Third brake thoughts...
12/17/18, 9:36 AM   #1
Third brake thoughts...
Fast_crew

Any opinions or experience with running a third brake (Outboard RR/LR). Besides additional braking obviously, there has to be some kind of load placed upon the chassis through the radius rods during braking due to the birdcage wanting to rotate while braking. Anyone have any input or pros and cons of running on the LR or RR. Thanks

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
12/17/18, 7:46 PM   #2
Re: Third brake thoughts...
copper14

don't run one.the inboard locks up the back tires.thats all you need.we do something with the lf caliper that helps the car turn in.cg

12/18/18, 12:31 PM   #3
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_crew View Post
Any opinions or experience with running a third brake (Outboard RR/LR). Besides additional braking obviously, there has to be some kind of load placed upon the chassis through the radius rods during braking due to the birdcage wanting to rotate while braking. Anyone have any input or pros and cons of running on the LR or RR. Thanks
What am I missing here, modern open wheel cars normally just run the one caliper, mounted on the rear center section, I have seen some outboard mounted, but most of the time, it was because there were no provisions to mount on the center section, either way, it brakes the axle, all the way across, I've also heard some that "prefer" the outboard mount, because it gets more air maybe, I dunno, but as far as it reacting to help "steer" the car, if mounted where most are available, RR outside, it would, if it did anything, make it want to pull to the outside? If anything, the amount of stagger you have would react the same way. IDK!

12/18/18, 6:21 PM   #4
Can26

This is kinda funny....

1 member likes this post: dirtracer74
12/18/18, 6:27 PM   #5
dirtracer74

There are a lot of games being played with brakes in the late model ranks, and to some extent, the sprint car world also. Where the caliper is mounted has a direct affect on what the suspension parts on that corner of the car will do. If a team runs a RR brake, the caliper is mounted to the birdcage. You can talk to five people about it, and you will get five different answers. But, if they do run a brake on the RR, you can pretty much count on the fact they they do not have it there for more stopping power. Most teams will not run a RR brake, just to keep things simple.

1 member likes this post: Can26
12/18/18, 7:29 PM   #6
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I have run RR and LR. I used the LR early on because I just had a hard time getting good brakes on the car an the extra stopping power helped. The RR was to help me deal with a nasty cushion, it would keep the car from getting sucked into the cushion, and let me drive off the corner. I'm back to inboard only. I feel like the outboard brakes helped when I was struggling, I would suck less, but I don't think they helped me be fast. If the car is handling decent and I am driving it hard, I don't think the extra brake helps.

1 member likes this post: Can26
12/18/18, 7:35 PM   #7
copper14

saw a late model race,bloomquist and that bunch.went down the straight and the left front tire stops dead.car turns and goes down the other straight,every lap this happens and on most cars.crazy.cg

12/20/18, 9:09 AM   #8
Fast_crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper14 View Post
don't run one.the inboard locks up the back tires.thats all you need.we do something with the lf caliper that helps the car turn in.cg
What do you guys do with the LF??
We generally run an aluminum LF rotor with purple pads, have been considering trying a steel rotor with slightly more aggressive pads.

It's not that we have a brake problem or anything of the sort, just looking for feedback as to what the reaction of the 3rd brake seems to be.

Would be great if there were half as much sprint car tech forum info as there is latemodel, but then again we only run 1/3 of the amount of stuff they have stuffed under the decking.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Third brake thoughts...