IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Vintage Classifieds > 2 Turner Monocoque Midgets for sale
2/6/17, 3:01 PM   #1
2 1970 Turner Monocoque Midgets for sale
Doug_00

One car last raced in 1989 was originally built for Gary Bettenhausen.
This car is complete with Chevy II engine with a Cummins Tri-Drive, EVM injection and vertex mag. This car has some updates but I have the suspension parts, brake hats and calipers that were replaced.
The second car is unassembled and has all parts for a complete roller and is all original. There is another picture of the rear end of this midget on the second page.
Included with these cars are gear sets, wheels, tires, rear end parts, cams, crankshafts, heads, and injections, etc.
These are very collectable and will always increase in value. There were only eleven of these cars built and I only know of four left.
Serious inquiries only: Phone Number 618 723 2953.
Attached Images
racecar1.jpg (357.2 KB, 346 views)
car2_front.JPG (425.1 KB, 292 views)
car2 back.JPG (427.4 KB, 277 views)
Last edited by Doug_00; 2/18/17 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Need to put year of midgets

2/19/17, 4:12 AM   #2
Bwellslee

What are you asking for the complete car.

2/19/17, 2:09 PM   #3
Re: 2 Turner Monocoque Midgets for sale
vintage1/4s

Doug,

In discussing these cars, we usually ID them by the first owner. Lance Turner (Harry's son) has a VW tub, as do I (Gary Hempel's #11 car) - both cars restored. Not really in the market for another one, but we try to track them all.

I believe you're in downstate IL, if I recall correctly - if so, I saw photos sent to Lance many moons ago. My thought then was: one of the tubs resembles Kurt Mayhew's monocoque Chev II, circa 1973. Harry sold Kurt a very incomplete aluminum tub. The front of Kurt's tub was unique - it was shortened to correct some poor engineering done by a 'sub-contractor' Kurt hired to help finish the car. It came back to Harry's shop (I worked there at the time), and it got an extension of the front subframe, to maintain its designed wheelbase. The other car in the mailed photos showed some workmanship unlike Harry's. Can't tell much from your posted photos. Would enjoy seeing any details you can provide.

Lance and I can usually ID original work by Harry, vs the copies.

I'd be interested in the history of your two cars, as you understand it. Meanwhile, here's some photos of the Hempel monocoque car. Anybody know if Gary is still about? I have been unable to track him down.

More photos, if requested. (Lance owns Harry's house car, later bought and raced by a young John Callahan.)

Gregg Kishline
Kenosha WI
Attached Images
Gary Hempel, Sun Prairie, Turner VW tub.jpg (78.8 KB, 137 views)
Dull's #56pic, crash.JPG (255.9 KB, 115 views)
storage 9-28-2014 004.JPG (310.9 KB, 130 views)

3/4/17, 8:40 AM   #4
wheelnut

Not hijacking your post but just wanted to add don't forget the tub here in Australia being restored at this time

3/11/17, 7:24 PM   #5
Rankin34

Do u happen to have any mags for chevy 2

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Vintage Classifieds > 2 Turner Monocoque Midgets for sale