IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The longest WoO sprint car race - Paragon Speedway, Indiana
9/11/09, 9:23 AM   #21
Re: The longest WoO sprint car race - Paragon Speedway, Indiana
Keith Ford

1978 150 lapper was a WOo event, I ran 9th was ran straight thru,driver & WOo officals did not know it was 150 laps until they arrived at track, lot of upset people, Harry Redkey owned track in 1978

9/11/09, 3:25 PM   #22
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
The waltz car was beautiful, sorta looked like Pancho's car. The fire was right n front of me. They pulled out the quick fill can too quick, and whooom, in a ball of flame. He got killed very shortly after the 150 lapper.

I remember Butch Wilkerson leading one of the 150's one year in a Seibert car, then the bird cage broke. If it hadn't, nobody would have beat Butch.
This is Butch I broke driving the Siebert Olds car at the LIL 500 in 1979 after leading 144 laps, broke a right rear tortion bar, not the Paragon 150's, but did lead some 150s in Karl Kinsers and Jerry Rones cars but never won one.
Butch1

9/11/09, 7:39 PM   #23
NONASCRAP4ME

Good evening everyone.

I am a longtime reader, first time poster. As not to derail this topic, I started another topic in the same light - as I think the old timers or racing historians will find it interesting.

Link - https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...387#post134387
Last edited by NONASCRAP4ME; 9/11/09 at 7:41 PM.

9/12/09, 12:16 AM   #24
Mac man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
I can't say that I remember that particular race, but the mention of the loss of Mike Waltz did put a chill in me. Having grown up spending many of my Saturday nights at Paragon, I remember when Mike came along. It was like 1970 or 1971 (that would have made me either 6 or 7). He was a really good driver, right out of the box. A serious competitor, almost from the get go. And I remember my uncle saying that Mike was enough of a pro, even at a young age, that he had earned the respect of most of the older drivers. And in those days, that was really saying something. I think he drove a real nice looking dark blue or black #2 (I'm not 100% certain on the color), was a always a fast qualifier, who liked a lower line at Paragon. One thing I do remember clearly though, is he was always a nice guy, when you met him in the pits. I wasn't at Bloomington the night he was lost and really I'm glad I wasn't, either. Because it was tough enough just hearing that this had happened. Hopefully, he'll never be forgotten. And who knows how great he might have turned out to be, had he not been taken early.

Jerry
We were running that night. I remember the cage collasped. That was when some of the car builders were using thin wall tubing. I think Calivn Gilstrap was fatially injured that same year. that was between turns 3 and 4 . That was a bad year.

9/12/09, 1:03 AM   #25
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac man View Post
We were running that night. I remember the cage collasped. That was when some of the car builders were using thin wall tubing. I think Calivn Gilstrap was fatially injured that same year. that was between turns 3 and 4 . That was a bad year.
I think Gilstrap was killed in '76. Could be wrong.

9/12/09, 5:29 AM   #26
Butch47265

Quote:
The waltz car was beautiful, sorta looked like Pancho's car. The fire was right n front of me. They pulled out the quick fill can too quick, and whooom, in a ball of flame. He got killed very shortly after the 150 lapper.

I remember Butch Wilkerson leading one of the 150's one year in a Seibert car, then the bird cage broke. If it hadn't, nobody would have beat Butch.
I never drove Seibert car at Paragon it was Little 500 I led it untill r r torsion slipped. I dont remember WOO 150lapper at Paragon either, Butch Wilkerson#1

9/12/09, 12:57 PM   #27
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher79 View Post
I think Gilstrap was killed in '76. Could be wrong.
You are right. It was 1976 that we lost Calvin Gilstrap.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

If I remember correctly, Calvin was subbing for Butch Wilkerson in the Cecil Beavers machine when he was fatally injured.

9/12/09, 2:24 PM   #28
Butch47265

Quote:

I drove seibert car at lil 500 in 1979 only lead that 144 laps rr bar fell out. Butch Wilkerson#1

9/13/09, 1:09 AM   #29
Sprint Car Racing Fan

I was told about this post tonight while attending USAC race @ THAT, I am on here regularly, but had not read this post. I married into the Waltz family after Mike was killed, but wanted to let you all know, it is nice people still remember him. Thanks for your comments.

9/13/09, 9:00 PM   #30
TWALTZ18W

Yeah! Dad never realy talked about mike getting killed ethier, even after all these years,B ut I under stand it to it being his brother and all. I suprized dad even thought about letting me in one after that, But he did! I've always heard that mike was one of the great ones that was just taking from the sport early in his career, Dad said that grandpa "JIM" never went back after that, I dont even think he ame to watch me run one time, but he always told me to "STAND ON THE GAS DARWN IT" he said the othe word of coase. Sometimes i just wonder what if he was still here how would've it been great for my sprinting days. "WE" THE WALTZ FAMlILY realy do miss mike, dad and I were just talking bout him two fridays ago cause its been 31yrs this month that he left us, I was only months old, but they always say the good die young i guess. But any how were gonna try it again 2010 season, some say I'm to old but i say "U NO WHAT THEM" I'm gonna try any how.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The longest WoO sprint car race - Paragon Speedway, Indiana