IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I Racing
8/16/17, 7:01 PM   #1
jeffc5227

Anyone else purchased I racing? After being relentlessly hounded by my son I finally succumbed and got it. I actually probably wanted it just as much as he did obviously only because of the sprint cars and the dirt tracks. Just curious about others thoughts and opinions about the program.
Last edited by jeffc5227; 8/16/17 at 7:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: fish
8/16/17, 7:29 PM   #2
openwheelfan1

I've been racing on iRacing about a year. It's fun. Some guys take it ENTIRELY too seriously, but as long as you remember it is a SIM and therefore has limitations it's a lot of fun. The dirt is pretty good, it still needs some more development (which they are doing) and IMO the physics for the sprint cars is a little funky (in other word, some setup changes that should have big impact on handling don't, while some changes that shouldn't, do) but gain, they are working on refining the software. The pavement side is much more fine tuned, but it is four or five years older than the dirt side. Enjoy it for what it is and you'll have a ball!

8/17/17, 3:08 PM   #3
Re: I Racing
11Chaudion

I race dirt sprints on it. Lot of fun

8/17/17, 7:08 PM   #4
dirtracer74

Winged sprint cars are a riot. You just have to be ready for some goofy set-up stuff. I win most of my 305 sprint stuff, and I am getting better with the 360 and 410. I usually qualify horrible, but can pull off a top 5 most races. Couple wins in the 360's, and only one 410 win.

Non wing stuff, I am getting better. You have to be real smooth on the throttle, and the steering wheel. Plus I have no clue what to do with set-ups, lol.

Dirt late models, I am horrid. It is very hard to get in and practice them, as I know I have a lot of work to do in those.

I have not tried any pavement stuff, I just have not purchased it yet. Not sure if there are enough racers online to justify it or not.

Knoxville is coming out next, but I have not seen anyone talk about when.

8/17/17, 9:50 PM   #5
openwheelfan1

dirtracer74, there are a LOT of racers that race pavement. There are a bunch of racers in SK Modifieds, Late Models and NASCAR Trucks. Not trying to get you to buy the pavement stuff, but I started in pavement, and trust me, there are many pavement racers on iRacing.
Last edited by openwheelfan1; 8/17/17 at 9:51 PM.

8/17/17, 10:14 PM   #6
dirtracer74

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
dirtracer74, there are a LOT of racers that race pavement. There are a bunch of racers in SK Modifieds, Late Models and NASCAR Trucks. Not trying to get you to buy the pavement stuff, but I started in pavement, and trust me, there are many pavement racers on iRacing.
The pavement legends are lots of fun. I actually enjoyed the pavement street stocks, when I could run them. Now I am class A, and I can not even run them anymore.

I will have to look at more pavement stuff. The SK modifieds have my interest, and I was curious about the sprint car and silver crown cars. I will keep an eye on it. Most of my real life friends on IRacing run pavement stuff also. Holy cow, just looking, silver crown in an hour has 17 people staged for Iowa Speedway, and sprint cars have 15 staged for Bristol. Still almost a full hour away from race time. Well damn, wife is gonna hate me again, lol.

8/17/17, 11:43 PM   #7
superstock30

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 15+

How much does it cost to get started into Iracing? What would I need to buy? And just a general price. I have a decent PC at home but that is it.

8/18/17, 2:13 AM   #8
Midget4

It's roughly $11 per car and $11 per track, membership has different lengths from one month all the way to two years. Then you'll need a steering wheel and pedals, which is not cheap, If you can find a Logitech g27, that's one of the best wheels you can get. The g29 wheel is the newest model and more expensive

8/18/17, 8:22 AM   #9
bsmith8

Around $ 2,000. I have a G27 wheel and pedal combo with a simulator seat. I have a 2 year membership and have all oval tracks and cars including all the new dirt stuff (Wing and Non Wing Sprints, LM and dirt tracks) and then what ever road racing stuff that comes with a membership.I did have to buy a faster computer with stronger graphics card to run the dirt stuff correctly.

8/18/17, 9:21 AM   #10
bigsby

I have been on iRacing for over 5 years. For the best experience, I would highly recommend joining a league. With a league, you generally race with the same people be it nightly, weekly, whatever. With this comes more respect from other drivers which leads to cleaner racing than with total strangers in official races.

You can spend as little or as much as you want on iRacing. If you are just starting out and don't want to invest a lot of money into it I would recommend finding a Logitech Driving Force GT. If you want to spend a little more, go with a Logitech G27 or G29 as others have suggested. The iRacing forums have a lot of information, especially in the Hardware section about other options if you feel like upgrading in the future. The resell value on sim racing equipment is pretty high and items tend to sell pretty fast on the forums is you ever decide it's not for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I Racing