IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Concerned
3/4/14, 5:42 PM   #11
Re: Concerned
Bad Dad 54

If I see a driver w/ insufficient safety gear I'll say something, I hate seeing a hat passed around for an injured driver. But even so it's inevitable that someone is going to get hurt just hope it's not serious. Told Rick Nicols talking to drivers about safety equipment is like nailing Jello to a tree So if ya see a fat ol man talkin to ya about your equipment it might be me

2 members like this post: davidm, ShaneMugavin57
3/5/14, 8:54 AM   #12
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I still cringe when I see guys without gloves or nothing under a single layer suit. I never had the money to race much, but I never went on track without the best personal safety gear on from head to toe.

3/5/14, 3:13 PM   #13
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I still cringe when I see guys without gloves or nothing under a single layer suit. I never had the money to race much, but I never went on track without the best personal safety gear on from head to toe.
I hear you there. I may not have the best car but my safety gear comes first. Full containment seat, 3 layer suit, gloves, good helmet, and I always install new belts every year. The belts thing is something I saw first hand back in my pavement days. Saw a guy have a pretty good wreck and built a new car, he moved his old belts from the other car to the new and when we belted him in, one of the cinch points actually pulled apart. At first glance, they looked like new but after removing them, the webbing was almost an inch longer and most of the metal was stretched too. Safety gear should always take the top priority when budgeting each year as one of the safety instructors at GM Performance always told us. The other thing I was told and someone mentioned it in an earlier post, unless there's a fire or spill, always wait til the safety crew gets there and asks if you're ok before unhooking and climbing out. Just a good practice.

1 member likes this post: davidm
3/5/14, 4:32 PM   #14
rclaridge

That's how Opperman got hurt the first time

3/5/14, 7:05 PM   #15
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
If I see a driver w/ insufficient safety gear I'll say something, I hate seeing a hat passed around for an injured driver. But even so it's inevitable that someone is going to get hurt just hope it's not serious. Told Rick Nicols talking to drivers about safety equipment is like nailing Jello to a tree So if ya see a fat ol man talkin to ya about your equipment it might be me
From what I have seen a lot of drivers listen to Rick and respect his thoughts and ideas when it comes to safety, knowing he is not just some guy that thinks he knows it all helps.

I know Josh looks forward to his visits to our pit.

Jerry #66j
stida.com / HalfMoon Resturant & Brewery
www.joshspencer.com

2 members like this post: davidm, PatrickMead#13
3/6/14, 12:49 AM   #16
Bad Dad 54

He knows me, met Rick at the yrs ago, saw him at the 4 Crown, my buddy asked him what he was cooking he said Baloney. I said, "Yeah but what on the grill" he laughed said I knew him pretty good, always a pleasure to see Rick

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Concerned