IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Of Outlaws Sprint Car Series 2019 Schedule POSTED.
12/6/18, 8:38 PM   #11
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

I’m no mathematician so I’m unaware of how to calculate the speed, but in ISF’s defense the article I found reports the same speed he provided.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...-07/16401/amp/

Edit: sorry I missed the part about basing the average speed on the precise measurement of the track. I’m guessing that article is offering the speed for if the track were exactly one mile, though I guess a track’s size can depend on the line you’re running which is an entirely different conversation lol.
Last edited by GYATK94; 12/6/18 at 8:44 PM.

12/6/18, 11:58 PM   #12
treecitytornado

Google Maps is what WoO and many others use to calculate track length! My Screenshot of Johnny Gibson explained this in my previous post.
This pic shows the Speed Conversion of the Springfield 1.03 mile oval.
Thanks.
Attached Images
Screenshot_20181206-225203_Chrome.jpg (268.3 KB, 54 views)

12/7/18, 7:46 AM   #13
Re: World Of Outlaws Sprint Car Series 2019 Schedule POSTED.
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Google Maps is what WoO and many others use to calculate track length! My Screenshot of Johnny Gibson explained this in my previous post.
This pic shows the Speed Conversion of the Springfield 1.03 mile oval.
Thanks.
Hate to burst your bubble but thats not Johnny Gibson posting that...............

12/7/18, 9:57 AM   #14
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Sorry, but I was correct. Springfield is just over a mile in length. 1.03 miles in length. Lap Time was 24.710, which is 150.061 MPH, on June 7th of 1998. The last WoO show, ever on a mile plus,track!
You are right in the fact of 170-180 MPH on the straightaways. Champ Cars are doing close to 160 at DuQuoin, on a GoPro with MPH on.

I don't post things, like World Records, unless I know my facts. Especially when it's about one of my All-time favorite drivers.

Thanks.
Then you need to take the issue up with the people at Springfield. The measurement they use shows the speed at just over 145 mph. The Springfield people use the same measurement for the trotters, etc. The official sign listing of all track records off of turn 4 at Springfield clearly states the time and the 145+ mph as being the number they use. I’m inclined to go with the number used by the WoO and Springfield. Sorry, until there is an official correction in track size the 145+ mph number used by the Springfield people is probably the benchmark. If there is a credible and official source successfully disputing the official Springfield number I will happily digress.

12/7/18, 10:29 AM   #15
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but thats not Johnny Gibson posting that...............
It was actually Johnny who made that comment. The person who posted it to Facebook did a copy and paste from Johnny Gibson's Twitter account.

2 members like this post: scottyCbus, treecitytornado
12/7/18, 10:54 AM   #16
Jonr

Sammy Who???? Never heard of him.

1 member likes this post: scottyCbus
12/8/18, 5:27 AM   #17
treecitytornado

Hate to burst your bubble, Andrew, but Johnny is in the pic with Sammy and posted the correct world record! Thanks for coming into work!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Of Outlaws Sprint Car Series 2019 Schedule POSTED.