IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Loosing Coolant issue GSXR
9/1/18, 8:41 AM   #1
Loosing Coolant issue GSXR
goforit14

Anyone experienced pushing coolant out radiator overflow tube. This is second GSXR 1000 motor doing this. I know it is pushing out overflow cause I put plastic bottle on it and it was half full after just a heat race. I have tried two new radiator caps up to 28 lb and still doing it.. I have pressure checked the system with a leak down test and does not appear to be any head gasket issue (at least given this test and fact this is second motor with same issue.). Motor does not get hot until it gets low on coolant. I also cut center out of thermostat but no help.. Any thoughts????

9/1/18, 9:10 AM   #2
Re: Loosing Coolant issue GSXR
TQ29m

Different motor, same radiator? I'd suspect something with the radiator, angle, size, cross flo, down flo, pump running too fast, not letting water stay in air flow long enough, lot's of thing to look at, take a good, up close look at your radiator tubes, are they still nice and flat, or bulged, ballooned, how well can you see thru the radiator, all of the things play into the ability of it to do it's job, height, angle, lots of things to check. Bob

1 member likes this post: Jerry Spencer
9/1/18, 9:51 AM   #3
badcoupe

Sounds like a radiator issue or airflow or lack of. Let it sit and run get warmed up, take a infrared thermometer and start checking the core of the radiator if you find a cold spot or area then that part of the radiator is plugged up. Also sometimes high rpm cavitation occurs at the impeller of the pump. 600 kaws suffer from this they make an aftermarket cover that allows more water to be present to combat the issue.

9/1/18, 1:56 PM   #4
TQ29m

You could have a steamer somewhere in the system, a spot that gets air instead of water. Is your radiator higher or lower than the highest place the engine would have water in it. Some people have to elevate the car, front or rear to get water in all the places it should be. Plug the radiator, and fill it by itself, then do the same with the engine, add them, then hook them back together and see what you get, it may take a lot of time, but perhaps in the end it'll be worth it, no one said it would be easy.

9/1/18, 2:06 PM   #5
TQ29m

You really need an overflow tank on it anyway, as the water gets hot, it expands, without the tank it's just blowing it out, if you had the tank on it, as it cools it sucks the water back in the system, just like your car!

9/1/18, 2:28 PM   #6
goforit14

Radiator limitless lower than head of motor. Suzuki has air bleeder on thermostat housing which I opened, but that was designed for engine on motorcycle.... I will raise car see what I get. Thanks for input..

9/1/18, 5:21 PM   #7
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
You really need an overflow tank on it anyway, as the water gets hot, it expands, without the tank it's just blowing it out, if you had the tank on it, as it cools it sucks the water back in the system, just like your car!
A old beer can will do perfect for a overflow

Jerry #66j

9/1/18, 5:25 PM   #8
Jerry Spencer

wetter Water will help get rid of air also.

Jerry #66j

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Loosing Coolant issue GSXR