IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
smith19 (Offline)
  #21 2/23/11 1:01 PM
chris, cecil is really a closet stock car lover. don't let the hard nose fool ya. see ya at the ice breaker..

CHRIS SMITH
cecil98 (Offline)
  #22 2/24/11 8:51 AM
Originally Posted by smith19:
chris, cecil is really a closet stock car lover. don't let the hard nose fool ya. see ya at the ice breaker..
Dang! Smith19...you nail me everytime!! stop exposing the real me!!

BTW...the nose isn't hard...it's just crooked as H.e.ll !
Downey44 (Offline)
  #23 2/24/11 3:41 PM
Originally Posted by cecil98:
Dang! Smith19...you nail me everytime!! stop exposing the real me!!

BTW...the nose isn't hard...it's just crooked as H.e.ll !
Seems he had no problem with them as a promoter back then either. Liked them so well I believe he ran two classes of them each week.
smith19 (Offline)
  #24 2/24/11 9:39 PM
where ya been all winter cooter? see you at the spring 50 ????

CHRIS SMITH
micro94 (Offline)
  #25 2/25/11 1:09 PM
Originally Posted by rdzsprint:
Jalopies,clunkers,a friend of mine back in the 60's at the 'burg' called them "fugitives from the junkyard". He would go to the concession stands or restrooms whenever they were on the track. The 'taxicab' term has been around a long time. Nascrap raced cars on the dirt as well as pavement in cars that looked similar to those you drove on the street. I have a video of Parnelli Jones rolling down the window to get a cup of water during a pitstop at the Riverside 500.

Nascar had an open wheel division several years ago that died out and their focus now is goobernickel style crashing/banging/(racing)?..with fenders and doors. The Impalas,Fusions,etc., while hardly like those that compete, can be purchased and driven by taxicab companies as well as grandmothers making grocery runs and trips to WAL-MART. Sprint cars on the other hand are full-blooded race cars and taxi services will not be picking you up at the airport with one. You probably won't see grandma broadsliding an 800 HP Maxim into the parking lot at the local lodge on Ladies Auxialiary bingo night either.
No but it sure would get your attention seeing Granny toss her in there.
SPRINTCAR (Offline)
  #26 2/26/11 5:28 PM
Originally Posted by ffrid:
How about "real racecars don't have doors"?
Ditto!!
TQ29m (Online)
  #27 2/26/11 5:41 PM
And a "Banjo Housing" was a ? Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Hot Rod K. (Offline)
  #28 2/26/11 6:06 PM
I prefer: "Real racecars don't have fenders!"
ImissAscot (Offline)
  #29 2/26/11 6:36 PM
Out here in California some of us like to take it a step further and call them "Tijuana Taxi Cab's".....You can find some Taxi's in Mexico that look like they've been through a whole season of fender bangin' racing on some dirt track somewhere
cecil98 (Offline)
  #30 2/28/11 7:29 PM
Originally Posted by Downey44:
Seems he had no problem with them as a promoter back then either. Liked them so well I believe he ran two classes of them each week.
If you remember Merrill(sp?), we had a great class of Late Models back then. Ross Smith (near the end of his career), Charlie Sentmann(sp?), Gary Herbert, Dan Polking, Dan Rink, Vern LeFevre, Bobby Carnes, Donny Matlin, Denny Martini, Jerry Hess, Pierce Foster, Len Spille et. al.....I also let them run sprint car wings and they put on a great show! In 1980 I was averaging 19 late models a week and by 1982 we were averaging 39-45 per week. The 2nd year I had the track, Terry Eaglin called me and asked if I would start a street stock class. I told him it would have to be an amateur or, semi-amateur class (I gave him whatever money signed in on the pit sign-up sheets for that class as a purse) that ran after the Lates and Sprints (heats during intermission). That developed into a fun class also, and we drew about 25 of them per week. Yes, the "Taxi-cabs" were a vital part of our show......