IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sunday August 18th "Jacksonville Midget Championships"
8/1/19, 10:42 PM   #1
Sunday August 18th "Jacksonville Midget Championships"
kdobson

You might want to call it the "Last Minute Hope and Prayer", but we are going to call it the Jacksonville Midget Championships. We are throwing this together on 2 weeks notice, but we've talked to several teams and the reaction has been favorable so I'm confident we can make it a nice event this first year... and in future years something you circle on the calendar. Here's the format...

At it's core it's a $3,000 to win/$300 to start unsanctioned National Midget race. If we have fewer than 30 cars, that's what it will be - which is still a pretty nice event. But once we get 30 commitments it's going to be a "flighted" race like you might see at a local golf tournament. The goal is for everyone to be able to compete in a meaningful feature and get paid.

Assuming it's a flighted race, we will run heats and then 3 qualifiers. The top 5 finishers in each qualifier will make "The Tradition" - a 25 lap race paying $3,000 to win/$300 to start meant to celebrate the tradition of Open Wheel racing in Central Illinois on the weekend of the Illinois State Fair. The remaining cars that don't qualify for The Tradition will race in the "Midwest Open" - a 25 lap feature paying $1,000 to win/$150 to start for up to 24 cars. The winner of The Open will have full winner's circle honors and it will be treated as a meaningful feature event. In the winner's circle, the Open winner can return his check and start as the 16th car in The Tradition.. but keep his/her trophy and honors.

This format pretty much assures that up to 39 cars will get paid instead of half of them going home with tow money. The ultimate goal in future years is to have 3 tiers with the top feature paying $5,000 to win, a middle feature around $2,000 and a third $1,000 feature and be a midget-only event. But you have to start somewhere - so we are starting two weeks out this year with people probably already having plans to return home after Saturday's open wheel races in Central Illinois... and a sold out Reba McIntire concert in Springfiled 20 mins away on the night I chose for this race. So we are going to start a little smaller this year... but we are going to start... knowing that next year a lot of you that travel here for the Champ Cars will stick around an extra day for a big midget race.

Also on the card for the 18th will be $1,000 to win Non-Wing Sprints, our 305 Winged Sprints ($500 to win) and $500 to win Micros. We'll get pushing it all out after we get all the loose ends tied up in the next few days.

For those of you that aren't on a rigid schedule... I checked with our local hotels and there is a lot of vacancy in Jacksonville on Saturday the 17th and rates are pretty nice. Of course you can always camp at our Fairgrounds. Go to the Champ Car race on Saturday, then to Macon for POWRi... and we are only an hour and 15 mins door to door to our Jacksonville hotels. Head over to the ARCA race Sunday morning, then back to Jacksonville Sunday evening. So we'll see you Sunday the 18th for the start of something that we hope can grow into something really cool.

Grandstand admission will be $20. Text me with any questions at 217-371-3653. I'm going to be busy trying to fill up a midget field so we can have the flighted race we want to have.

And if you'd like to get in on the ground floor as a sponsor and have your name on this event... the above number works wonders for that too. (Doesn't hurt to ask). See you on the 18th. I can't tell you yet exactly what it will be... but I can tell you it will be cool and worth coming to watch.
Last edited by kdobson; 8/1/19 at 10:48 PM.

8/2/19, 12:25 AM   #2
Crankin

Nice!!! 👍

4 members like this post: 55fan, bmemmer, racenut69, tirespinner
8/3/19, 12:02 PM   #3
Re: Sunday August 18th "Jacksonville Midget Championships"
kdobson

Here is the information for Midget teams about the details of the format...

4 members like this post: 55fan, Dirtfan, Ken Bonnema, racenut69
8/4/19, 10:14 AM   #4
racenut69

Great ideas from Ken Dobson.....

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/4/19, 10:53 AM   #5
Stephen Cording

Super excited about this event being created.

Hopefully get all four races in over the weekend.

A heads up on a little entry money saving for the ARCA race from series sponsor Menards. Buy your ticket from one of there selected stores and save $10 on entry. Menards Deal Ticket $20. on the day price $30.

Full details or where you can buy your discounted on main website - https://www.arcaracing.com/events/19...llen-crowe-100

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sunday August 18th "Jacksonville Midget Championships"