IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Cornbelt Nats Night 1
7/8/19, 12:09 AM   #21
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
I know we are not allowed to say anything bad anymore but some reality should be interjected for those that have actually seen good non-wing sprint car racing there in the past.
1. The track prep is obviously done for the wing cars. "Sprints on skates"
2. Winged hot laps followed by winged time trials took the first hour so a non-wing car didn't hit the track until 8pm when it was kinda used up.
3. Winged cars were unnecessary to begin with. Show ended at midnight.
4. Cars have gotten so ugly it's beyond likeable. Cage panel city and "Flat black is the new flat back" and no thought in schemes besides Mitchell Davis #56.
I wasn't expecting greatness but something a little more than what I witnessed. It was good enough to go back and hopefully they can take some suggestions and not silence any and all criticism like what's happening on IOW.
Mitchell Davis's former Robert Ballou Boss Chassis is sharp, but he wasn't the only one anti flat black.😁
Attached Images
FB_IMG_1538841211728.jpg (158.3 KB, 95 views)

1 member likes this post: bighd0522
7/8/19, 2:03 AM   #22
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Perhaps I was too enamored by my first visit to the “sprint car capital of the world” but I can’t find anything to complain about. Outside of the Macho Man decimating the field, the racing was great, track was good and the people were friendly. I’m sure I’m in the minority but I was looking forward to the wings as well. Obviously the Nationals are run with them and it’s the biggest dirt track race in the world, so I was happy to see those guys live to get a better feel for what I’m seeing when watching on TV. And they’re racing was pretty good. I did find a bit of irony in the fact that an Indiana kid gets his first Knoxville win on the night they’re running wingless. I have to tell any of you that haven’t been there to go when you get the chance. When you drive up, you just get the feeling that you’re someplace special. It looked to me like a good crowd especially Saturday. I would like to know the number, but I think it was good enough that they see the potential to bring it back and grow it. Perhaps next year we can get even more folks involved and turn this into a must see event. My trip was highlighted by getting to meet and talk to a couple VIP’S of the sport. Met and chatted with Kendra Jacobs, Richard Marshall, and Spridge. Humbled that they had time for us. Overall a great experience and I hope more of us can enjoy it in the future. Lastly I have to thank Oppweld for being my wingman for the weekend, and Brent and Asha for hanging out with us, a weekend I’ll never forget!
"Wingman? Make that "non wing man"mister! I'll let it go this time. Great racing Perfect Weather,Great times with great people! It's easy to find fault when things aren't perfect, but it was a major success on all fronts as far as I'm concerned.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, spicoli
7/8/19, 5:25 PM   #23
flagboy55

Sorry my friend, perhaps a poor choice of words, especially on IOW!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld
7/8/19, 8:34 PM   #24
Re: USAC Cornbelt Nats Night 1
BrentTFunk

One of the things that made this event cool, was the big event feel. Having the Hall of Fame right there is great. Parked my car and my motel, a grocery store, a Casey's, the Dingus, and a couple of really good restaurants were all within walking distance. Spent over 3 hours at the museum. Every half hour they offer a tour of the Bryan Clauson Suite Tower. It was really neat. Had a great touch screen display on Bryan in the museum, and a nice short movie on A J Foyt. The Dingus had a pretty good live band in the afternoon on Saturday, and showed Sprint Car videos the whole time. Sat by 5 people who live in Knoxville, and they called the crowd big. Hard to tell when it seats that many people. Had a blast and hope it returns next year.

7/9/19, 2:12 AM   #25
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I disagree. Knoxville has a huge history with Winged Sprint Cars. They have a large weekly sprint car show that has a good following. By having one winged class each night, it made sure that the local fans had a reason to come to the show. If the car counts continue to grow and the crowd continues to grow, there may become a point where they are not needed. However, at this point consider it the price to pay to have a race at Knoxville.
Yea, I think the wingers help with local crowd. Pennsylvania wing fans appreciate wingless cars (They get tired of "follow the leader"!), great turnout for Eastern Storm & I always run into some Pa. guys when i visit Indiana. But on my 3 trips to Knoxville Nationals, talking to Iowa fans, they didn't seem too interested in wingless cars, thought they were too slow.
I watched on PPV, crowd didn't seem really big, but they only showed botton half of the stands & like somebody said, huge stadium kind of "swallowed up" the crowd. I hope there were enough fans to make it worthwhile for Knoxville & they keep it growing!

1 member likes this post: duel
7/10/19, 2:15 PM   #26
duel

It was a great experience being at the Knoxville track for the 1st time. I was given a ticket to sit in one of the hall of fame suites for friday night by one of the people working there. I got to meet a couple of good people from this site and it just seemed like everyone there was friendly and having a good time. I thought they had a good car count both nights.Track was good and so was the usac racing. A shout out to the 0 car of Steve Irwin for making the big show Saturday. Very competitive field. I hadn't planned on it but heading back I turned north to Angel Park for the pepsi nationals. 2 midget features and one nw sprint feature. 2 tracks off my bucket list.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, luckybuc97, tirespinner
7/10/19, 6:45 PM   #27
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
It was a great experience being at the Knoxville track for the 1st time. I was given a ticket to sit in one of the hall of fame suites for friday night by one of the people working there. I got to meet a couple of good people from this site and it just seemed like everyone there was friendly and having a good time. I thought they had a good car count both nights.Track was good and so was the usac racing. A shout out to the 0 car of Steve Irwin for making the big show Saturday. Very competitive field. I hadn't planned on it but heading back I turned north to Angel Park for the pepsi nationals. 2 midget features and one nw sprint feature. 2 tracks off my bucket list.
Glad you made it to Sun Prairie. Heard it was a good show. I loved telling the locals sitting behind us that the wing feature winner was from Kokomo.

3 members like this post: duel, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
7/10/19, 9:21 PM   #28
duel

Yes that was really cool that Parker won the 410 wing show. He was elated. 36 nw Wisconsin sprints at Sun Prairie. Didn't know they had a division. Badgers looked strong with 27 and 22 or so powri for their show. 3 features all good. Knoxville was Great to see and then icing on the cake for me.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
7/10/19, 10:16 PM   #29
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
What,are you retired or somthin

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Cornbelt Nats Night 1