IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Macon an entrance: Six top gun storylines for usac spr
7/6/23, 6:08 PM   #11
Re: Usac: Macon an entrance: Six top gun storylines for usac
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I personally think a race without chances to earn and lose points is bunk.

MLB, NFL etc. all games except all star races count in the standings and runs or points are the tie breaker.

I don't understand committing to a series then getting the same points everyone else does. It should be a chance to advance or decline depending on your performance.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/6/23 at 8:54 PM.

7/6/23, 6:38 PM   #12
Hubie48

/\/\ I totally agree with this /\/\

This season has seen plenty of rain out. Now they are racing twice for no points, er, participation points.

Bill Joe has a carburetor, Franky is runnin' a sleeved down 305!

I will suffer thru Chet

7/7/23, 12:43 AM   #13
Kirk Spridgeon

I’ve never really understood the outrage over having a race as show-up points only. It takes nothing away from the race you get to see, and the vast majority of competitors affected agree that it is better.

Plenty of races are that way, including the Knoxville Nationals & Kings Royal. Some tracks prefer their events to be this way. They want competitors to race the event to win, not to worry about points.

In this instance, it gives the freedom to make adjustments to the program to ensure the most entertainment, and takes away the potential pitfalls that could strike a competitor due to the format or challenges of track layout.

Ultimately, the competitors actually affected liked being able to race for appearance points at Kutztown, and I expect the same this weekend. And missing one of these shows is really a bigger hit than a regular race, so any competitor with intention to race for points knows they can’t skip.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, oldfan49, opnwhlmnd
7/7/23, 5:38 AM   #14
Charles Nungester

I wouldn't call it outrage and certainly you would know what teams want more than me. But common sense says that any team not in first place wants races to be a chance to gain in the standings.

True it is somewhat of a neutral track but Say it's Cummins going to Tri State or JG going to Kokomo and that race gives the same points for everyone else, They go, Win as they often do at their best tracks, and come out in the same position.

Like I said, You know a lot more than me what teams want, But teams include car owners and while winning is the game. The series is for a championship.

While USAC is, and I applaud upping payouts and having more higher paying races. There's a huge difference in Kings Royal and Knox Nationals payouts and draw.

Yes, Bacon is one of my favorite drivers and drives for a local team. But I like em all and may the best team win.

I also wish I could get to more USAC shows but in current family health situation. I'll be at Burg sat and Burg Sprint week if conditions allow.

Good luck to everyone!
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/7/23 at 5:41 AM.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing
7/7/23, 8:29 AM   #15
DJlives

The way it is set up makes perfect sense. Cummins would have loved the extra points at Action Track but admitted he understands why the decision was made. It is a first trip for the sprint cars to very small track. Will it work for sprint cars? We will all find out. The money is the same which puts the promoter at risk given the purse. Consider what this track has already gone through. If a race offers appearance points those with title aspirations will go. For the promoter that means you know you get Bacon Grant Swanson Leary etc. If it is a track that doesn't work for sprint cars the participants don't take a big hit on points but still get paid. So both parties (promoter and participants) are "protected". If it works for all you can consider an alternative in 2024.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing
7/7/23, 11:52 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

It's a dead horse at this point but sprints have raced on every sized track there is and most of these drivers the same. The straights were a big longer but old portsmouth was as tight as LBurg motorcycle track and All stars ran ohio sprint week races there.. Boss ran on Osgood IN quarter midget track I beleive. They could race a the chili bowl if you could contain em.

Hope everyone has a great safe weekend and may the racing be fabulous.

2 members like this post: Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing
7/7/23, 12:55 PM   #17
EldoraMark

OUTRAGE, really. 🤣🤣🤣 I ask a question and got a answer and I said it still doesn't make sence. Than you Spridge, call that a outrage.

3 members like this post: Hubie48, Rpracing1, tirespinner
7/7/23, 12:55 PM   #18
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I wouldn't call it outrage and certainly you would know what teams want more than me. But common sense says that any team not in first place wants races to be a chance to gain in the standings.

True it is somewhat of a neutral track but Say it's Cummins going to Tri State or JG going to Kokomo and that race gives the same points for everyone else, They go, Win as they often do at their best tracks, and come out in the same position.

Like I said, You know a lot more than me what teams want, But teams include car owners and while winning is the game. The series is for a championship.

While USAC is, and I applaud upping payouts and having more higher paying races. There's a huge difference in Kings Royal and Knox Nationals payouts and draw.

Yes, Bacon is one of my favorite drivers and drives for a local team. But I like em all and may the best team win.

I also wish I could get to more USAC shows but in current family health situation. I'll be at Burg sat and Burg Sprint week if conditions allow.

Good luck to everyone!
When these decisions are made, they are all sitting on zero. That’s the only way to do it. Of course those behind in points would love an opportunity for the ones ahead of them to have bad luck, whether caused by track irregularities/format or not. But in the world of objectivity, you do what’s best for the whole and don’t worry about who needs to “make up points.”

The MSCS co-sanctions on the first day of Sprintacular and at Haubstadt in September are also appearance points. Huset’s was last year, as was the Knoxville two-day race when it had some rule differences. All effort is made for uniformity from race-to-race, but sometimes it is the best way to do it for everyone involved.

Enjoy the race. Forget the math for a weekend.

7/7/23, 2:06 PM   #19
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
OUTRAGE, really. ������ I ask a question and got a answer and I said it still doesn't make sense. Than you Spridge, call that a outrage.
That is Outrageous!

The two different sanctioning series is a no-brainer.

The Spridge response made me Chuckle. (No pun intended)
Last edited by Rpracing1; 7/7/23 at 2:10 PM. Reason: sp.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/7/23, 2:13 PM   #20
flagboy55

I wasn’t outraged but I wanted to know the reasoning behind the decision. Spridge layed it out pretty well I think, and I’m satisfied with the logic. Not that it couldn’t be argued, but I now have have a better understanding of it. Meanwhile after a blowout on the way to Macon, I’m now rolling again. See y’all soon

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Macon an entrance: Six top gun storylines for usac spr