Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom
12/6/21, 11:43 AM   #21
berks co

He said this weeks ago on Loudpedal podcast

12/6/21, 12:19 PM   #22
Re: Windom
dsc1600

This may have changed, but the 4th and 5th place guys at a National USAC sprint show used to get paid $1000 and $900 respectively. That's terrible. It's very hard to get a top 5 at a USAC National show, and you're getting paid peanuts.

The sad part is though, USAC recently has tried to expand the series more and it hasn't paid off at the front gate. The 2nd PA swing was not very well attended, the Huset deal was a disaster, Knoxville is off the schedule. We know the purse needs to go up, but where do you get the money?

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
12/6/21, 12:42 PM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Point fund needs raised significantly.
Don't know how you have several trips where even if you win a couple. You've lost thousands. on Travel, fuel, tires, motors.

12/6/21, 12:48 PM   #24
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Maybe they could do this:"Sometimes Veterans need walkers, Just how it is.
<Sarcasm>"
Possibly get one for yourself?

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Chief Wahoo
12/6/21, 1:44 PM   #25
cl124

This doesn't surprise me at all. I commented several weeks ago when someone posted the total earnings for the year. The 20th 'best' winged driver won more money than KT being the highest earning non-winged driver for the year and that was before point money which I'm sure would only increase the spread. I hate losing good drivers to wings as I'm a predominately non-wing fan but to me it's a no brainer for a good driver right now. Until the money becomes more comparable in the non-wing world I feel we will continue to lose good drivers and owners to wings.

6 members like this post: 3R, dshort36, Eatin Dirt, luckybuc97, oppweld, racenut69
12/6/21, 8:45 PM   #26
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
USAC could raise the purse if they lowered the salaries of some of their personnel. Look up their financial reports and see how much the top dogs are making there.
i don't think anyone in usac is over paid. i would like to see some key board jockey run the top feeder series for both woo and allstars for less.

6 members like this post: captrat, Hustlin-Hoosier, Joekocjan, Jonr, opnwhlmnd, tirespinner
12/6/21, 8:56 PM   #27
cornerthree

Usac drivers that race for a living have to run local shows. Back in the day they wouldn't because the Indy 500 carrot was dangled in front of them. Now they have no chance to race a champ car for a living.

5 members like this post: bighd0522, chrismattlin, jdull99, oppweld, Speedwrench
12/6/21, 10:09 PM   #28
flagboy55

Tree, that’s a good point. There’s been plenty of solid points. One thing that’s not brought up is the cost to run wing cars. I had a conversation with a guy who I hold in the highest regard at Terre Haute. He raced for an owner that stabled both genres. He said the budget for the wings was 3 times the budget for wingless if I remember correctly. Also if any of you listen to the great Justin Fiedler and his Dirtracker podcast, he recently had USAC champion Brady Bacon on a conversation episode. It’s a good listen if you can spare 40 minutes. But Brady eluded to the higher cost of wing racing also. So I’m guessing if those guy’s are leaving, and I wish them well because I’ll still be watching, but their money tree must be doing well to make the transition. And another thing. While the next level might have changed, the United States Auto Club has always been a feeder system. They’ve produced the greatest racers in history. I’ll just use one example and you guy’s can shuffle through the rest. Foyt!

12/6/21, 11:58 PM   #29
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Most on here already complain about USAC admission prices that promotors charge. If they raise the purse cost to the promotor the gate price will have to go up. I don't mind paying $35-$40, like an Outlaw show, to see a USAC show if the purse is increased however most here heads would explode if they did that.

As I have said many times ... for the USAC purse to go up the first thing that has to happen is the series drivers have to quit showing up at local non-sanctioned shows.

Even if they did raise the purses and point funds where are the new owners and drivers coming from? If promotors nationwide already will not book a USAC race at the current cost why would they look at a higher purse and suddenly say yes?

The Outlaws have an established brand nationwide thanks to the vision years ago of Ted Johnson. USAC is still trying to recover from the tragic plane crash of that same time frame.

One has to wonder would someone like say Tony Stewart buying the sprint car part of USAC make non-wing sprint racing more popular outside of Indiana, Western Ohio, and Southern California. Would anyone even want to try? We have already had a midget series owner state that his goal was to put USAC out of business. It did seem to make the USAC Midget division stronger so we can thank him for that.

And to answer the original question in this thread. Yes I believe Chris is still going to be driving for Brodie Heyward with a wing and the backing of NOS Energy.
Good points about admission price. I guess since its pretty localized, some folks take it for granted & forget how good they have it. Non Hoosiers like me end up spending low hundreds in gas & motels to see USAC & are happy to do it. You get what you pay for... wish I had an answer

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cornerthree, duel, oldfan49, oppweld, tirespinner
12/7/21, 12:00 AM   #30
Gene Franckowiak

It is very easy to say you are going wing racing but an different thing to be able to finance and sustain the cost to run a full time competitive wing team. I did in Central PA for 13 years......my bet is that both guys will be back with USAC by mid season if they try a full time wing effort. My opinion is that both guys will dabble with the wings and test the waters.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom