IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting Article
8/1/18, 9:22 AM   #1
Interesting Article
Crankin

http://amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/acce...car?source=dam

6 members like this post: EBookerFan, jim goerge, mc/rider, ronmil, Seadog, Speedmax3
8/1/18, 11:08 AM   #2
Re: Interesting Article
racefan20

" the State of Indiana Economic Development Commission agreed to buy two aero kits per car for each 2018 Leaders Circle entrant" You gotta be kidding me, really? at $90,000 per car!

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
8/1/18, 11:38 AM   #3
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
" the State of Indiana Economic Development Commission agreed to buy two aero kits per car for each 2018 Leaders Circle entrant" You gotta be kidding me, really? at $90,000 per car!
Let's say 15 are in the program.

15*2*$90,000= $2,700,000.

I think that just goes to show how much impact the Indy 500 has on the state in revenue and tax dollars, that they thought coughing up 2.7 million dollars was a good idea to keep the race strong and teams able to compete.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
8/1/18, 2:46 PM   #4
david mitchell
Banned

This article should be required reading for any race fan ,regardless of his or her favorite racing.It illustrates the perilous house of cards business model that racing exists on.Any first year business student can look at these models and see they are not sustainable over a long period of time.The numbers are really the only difference between the series talked about in article and short track racing.When you have to have an engine that costs 40,000 dollars ,to win a race that pays five thousand,you have a serious problem.I know this has been talked about for years,but this season you are starting to see the cracks.Look at entry numbers at local races.I don’t believe anything can be done,because it seems no one cares.The its great while I am here mentality. However,what it is in ten years will be vastly different than what it is today.Enjoy.

3 members like this post: jdull99, Pat O'Connor Fan, Speedmax3
8/1/18, 7:25 PM   #5
BrentTFunk

I was too dumb to figure out how to read the rest of the article, but none of this surprises me. It has been going on forever in NASCAR. The land Talledega is built on was given to them by the state. Daytona has never paid property taxes and threatened to leave when it was proposed they should. Like any welfare it is highly addictive. How much do you think the state of Kansas spent to get Kansas Speedway? Any information on how to read the rest is appreciated.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, PJ Wright
8/1/18, 9:10 PM   #6
fish

If this worked like it should, we'd have new grandstands at Gas City Speedway.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, racefan20, speed bump
8/1/18, 9:12 PM   #7
suzuki756

The real question is how the heck could the areo kit cost this much its way out of control

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/1/18, 9:32 PM   #8
hoosier race fan

IndyCar announced a plan to increase the number of teams in the Indy Lights series. Not one bit of it sounded like it would make any difference to race teams because it is still far too expensive even with efforts to make it more affordable.

8/1/18, 10:59 PM   #9
okie

they need to get 33 of those Indy Lights with good drivers and race them in the Indy 500

8/2/18, 5:13 AM   #10
hoosierhillbilly

Unless I missed it, the article did not really touch on merchandising to much. You would think the top tier NASCAR drivers would make a ton on T-shirt sales but that is not the case. Per this article, The bulk of it goes to fanatics, the operator, and then the tracks. This is why several NASCAR drivers have their personal line of racing shirts. Those usually are only sold online and don’t feature the cars.. Larson even tweeted about making more on T-shirt’s at the dirt tracks.

I would assume IndyCar is similar. I am not sure I care about f1.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/07...h-for-drivers/

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, racefan20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting Article